IMG_0426_zpswn6ugmyr.jpg

IMG_0427_zpsgyv6kr98.jpg

IMG_0428_zpsdq7ljjop.jpg

IMG_0429_zpsxye84dpk.jpg

Howdy, Red Cent, long time no hear....

Looks like a repro of some kind.

Hard to tell without handling whatever.

Doubt its a real colt, no way.

Such can always be used for training or decoration.

Yes it could be junk but maybe not worthless.

Can you tell what its made of?

Best

CR

Is that serial number 2, or 25?

Either way, if that's a real Colt, that is valuable!

BUT... I don't think it's a real Colt

With a serial number that low, this would have been a GI Colt. I don't see a US on the frame. I have also never seen a military SAA with a lanyard loop, so seeing the hole for one in the grip doesn't make sense to me. Also, the barrel should be 7.5", but I guess it could believably have been chopped, so let that one go.

Those Colt medalions on the grip are also anachronistic, they are something that came along much later. And, I am pretty sure that this gun should have a bullseye ejector, not a half moon one that the pics seem to indicate.

But one thing that really gives me pause is that stamping on the frame that looks like it says "CAL 44"

Every 1st Gen Colt I have ever seen has the caliber marking on the trigger guard, behind the trigger, and its alwasy been just a 32, 38, 44 or 45. I've never seen it in that location, or with the CAL in front of it. Also, with a serial number that low, it could not be anything BUT a .45

So.... All of that being said, I do not believe this is a real Colt. But that begs the question, what the heck is it?

You definately have a mystery on your hands. Question: Does the action work properly? Related question: Does it shoot?

If the answer is yes to both questions, you've got an enigma on your hands that you should have fun with. If the answer is no, well, you've still got a curiosity that makes for a good conversation piece. I would not junk it either way.

But if you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands. Just send me a PM.

My brother-in-law has one just like it. I believe it is #14. I don't say this as a joke. I could give you the exact number, but I am out of town. If it is the same as his, you will be able to tell it from a real colt very quickly by removing one of the frame screws, You will find the threads are on the wrong end.

Intresting , without having it in hand , and not more pics to look over ,

I would say it is a repo of some sort , and I would NOT attempt to fire it

with all the little things I see and DON'T see , I would surmise it to be a NON firing replica

BUT , I am not an Expert , just my opinion

Chickasaw Bill

A customer brought it by for me to examine. Another interesting part is that when he got it, the trigger was wired to the back of the trigger guard. The front sight looks to be messed with. Very faint sign of silver solder and it is not as big as a Colt. The pawl does not function. Since it moves the cylinder a tad I suspect a broken leaf spring. It will function pointed to the floor. Half cock is gone and has a "hair trigger". Add the wired back trigger and one could conjure up some good gunfights.

The cylinders have no throat. Same size all the way through. Firing pin looks to be milled on the hammer. Do not see a pin.

Feels like a Colt. Svelte. Not chunky like a Hawes or a Sauer.

Yeah, I ain't about to stuff one of my 44 Specials in it. Dang if it don't feel good in the hand. Almost as good as my 3 screws. Does a non-firing replica come with a one piece style grip?

It might well be a 1st gen. There were some that slipped out of Colt with no serial numbers. These were eventually re-arsenaled with 5-1/2" barrels. Some of these ended up going to the 7th Calvary. I got to hold one of these many years back. The price tag was $10,000 but I wasn't paying that much for it.

I doubt he grips are original and someone really butchered the screws. May have butchered the ejector as well. The CAL 44 is interesting as the above lot I was referring to was .45. But it could have had a new barrel and cylinder installed at some point.

Without having it in hand, I don't know if it's a 1st gen or someone took a replica and aged the heck out of it.

I'd contact the Colt Collectors Association and have them look at it. Maybe even give Colt a call and see what they have to say about it.

Hope that helps,

Howdy Red Cent,

I find that a creepy lookin thing.

Seen a lotta six shooters and stuff but that one is just creepy.

I hope you didn't buy the thing....

Best

CR

Markings are strange for a Colt. The grip frame does not fit the main frame, which is a real flag for me. Colt had been making the Navy grip frame and main frame for 22 years before this gun would have been made, if it is real. It could a grip throw on later, but it seems to be about the same age as the age. The screw heads look unusually large.

My guess would be a Spanish or South American copy made pre WWII.

Knockoff, due to so many things wrong, to which I'll add that, besides the oddness of the font of SN on the butt, Colt would never have let it out the door with the SN stamped that crookedly.

Archived