SASS Wire Forum

What's a Good Way to Video Myself Flying?

Aunt Jen

Does it have to be on the wing? I would imagine there are GoPro mounts that you could mount on the windscreen, like their suction cup mounts.

Are we talking GA flying? kinda depends on airspeeds expected, distances and times you're going to want to record but generally I use a GoPro on the real plane and a keychain camera on the toy plane/helicopter.

The GoPro makes much better video.

Hmmm, in the Army we had this stuff the tinbenders called '100 mile an hour tape'. Looked, felt, acted just like duck tape only it was OD green. It definitely lived up to its name because they would use it to patch 'holes' in the skin of aircraft among other uses and I'm pretty sure every Huey I ever met could go 100 MPH no problem (especially flying AWAY from incoming) and that stuff didn't peel off so easy. I used to fly a really ratty Cessna 172B and on occasion, it had 'duck tape' here and there for certain things. Worked.

I suggest you use A LOT.....

A keychain camera looks like a keyfob you would use to unlock a vehicle, but it has a camera in it. Pretty cool!

I would go with the GoPro. If this is your aircraft and don't mind mounting points being suck to the paint, use the gopro mounts that stick on. They work great. I've had one one the tail for over 3 years and use it regularly. That sucker is stuck on there and stayed up to 168kts!

However if you want video of you flying, you might cosider mounting the gopro inside the cockpit just over your shoulder so you can see the instrument panel, outside and you manipulating the yoke. capturing both you flying and the outside is a real challenge.

Another option would be to mount the camera on the opposing side window facing you using a suction mount, but that would only work if you are solo.

Put a "Go Pro" inna selfie stick and switch it on just before you go out the door :wacko: Remember, the Rip Cord is your friend. You fly too long the landing can be somewhat abrupt!! :blink:

Coffinmaker :)

Hi. I'll look into the GoPro....

This is soli. No yoke: stick. :)

But one if the shots I envisioned is from the left wing tip, me flying, see plane fuselage n prop in profile. From the tail sounds good, too

Hi all.

What is a good way to video myself flying? What type of camera and mount?

I'm guessing I hire a seagull to stand on the wing with a GoPro?

If this was the mid 60s I would to ask on what...Some of that stuff was pretty nasty, I have been told....Never got into myself...Job in service said stay away from it, if you to work on this stuff...So I did, but did have a few beers here and then....

TL

Hire a chase plane...or a wingwalker.

Gorilla tape

Jeez, you're not planning to take it above a mile high are you?

Ah! My concern about using tape, is I wouldn't want the tape to remove any of the paint when removed. The tapes strong enough to hold the camera still in 117 knot winds (136 mph), would be pretty good stuff, and I worry if it could hurt the paint.

MILE HIGH? :wub: I, uh--- Um--- Um--- :mellow: What?

Give the camera to an ATC and buzz the tower.

I'd go with the GoPro Hero4 Silver. It will do everything you want, plus it has the capability of using a remote control via bluetooth on your phone so you can stop and start recording at will.

What are you going to be flying?

A quart of gin and a couple of peyote buttons ought to do it. Do it with a friend and you can take pictures of each other. Wouldn't even need an airplane.

I'd go with the GoPro Hero4 Silver. It will do everything you want, plus it has the capability of using a remote control via bluetooth on your phone so you can stop and start recording at will.

What are you going to be flying?

Yes, the Hero 4 Silver happens to be exactly the one I am considering. It also has the screen on the back.

Starting and stopping via cellphone is great, also, as then I could wait until I got somewhere to video, then turn it on.

I don't have a go pro, so can't speak to that camera. I have a Midland XTC Action cam, it's more of a bullet type design, no screen on the back.

Angles that I think I'd want to see would be in the cockpit, if a two seater from passenger side slightly behind you, from passenger side wind screen angled towards you, from behind the front seats looking forward, as well as wing and tail shots you described.

Both my XTC and my other cam, a Flip video camera have about 2 hours of capability, so I would just start them after your pre flight and let them roll. Then edit the the raw video to what you want.

In order to get a bunch of different angles, I would imagine it will take a number of flights over several days. I would suggest downloading the video to your computer after each flight, not only to clear up room on the camera, but also in case of a camera failure during the next flight. Things mounted outside the cockpit might be subject to damage. This will also allow you to get a feel for the camera angle and what not to better place it for the next time.

I would imagine there are forums for private pilots who could give you some first hand experience with taking video in flight.

Lastly, and I know you know this, but don't get wrapped up in getting good video to the exclusion of flying the plane. There was a news story here within the last several months of a pilot who crashed his plane. From what they could piece together the trouble started about the same time he was taking a selfie with his cell phone, from the looks of the picture he had the plane trimmed out, and was not facing the controls.

Good luck, have fun and I look forward to seeing your vids!

Grizz

Utah, would you come hold the camera for me?

I'll put a chair on the wing, and you could sit there, video me.

(We'll use tape to hold the chair on.)

Not a problem. I'll tell you which chute I want you to buy me. ;)

I don't have a go pro, so can't speak to that camera. I have a Midland XTC Action cam, it's more of a bullet type design, no screen on the back.

Angles that I think I'd want to see would be in the cockpit, if a two seater from passenger side slightly behind you, from passenger side wind screen angled towards you, from behind the front seats looking forward, as well as wing and tail shots you described.

Both my XTC and my other cam, a Flip video camera have about 2 hours of capability, so I would just start them after your pre flight and let them roll. Then edit the the raw video to what you want.

In order to get a bunch of different angles, I would imagine it will take a number of flights over several days. I would suggest downloading the video to your computer after each flight, not only to clear up room on the camera, but also in case of a camera failure during the next flight....

Good luck, have fun and I look forward to seeing your vids!

Grizz

Yes all, Griz, and +1 on safety, the sine qua non of everything.

Okay.

I got the GoPro 4 Silver, and tonight I'll charge it up and (don't tell anyone) read the instructions.

I think it would be good to use those camera angles u mentioned, and head mount. And mayhap also from the rail and l wing, we'll see how it goes.

I've edited before, but I'd like to avoid too much work here as I gave other things to do.

But maybe I'll get something interesting.

I almost hate to do it soon, as I got my hair cut yesterday, and it's too short. She took more than I thought she would. But we'll see. I nay do the video and just see how it looks.

I want to fly, anyway.

Thank you for input.

I generally use a wrist mount and point the camera along my arm. This gives a good full face shot with the cape fluttering in the background. On decent if I lower my arms you can even see the big red S on my chest.

I generally use a wrist mount and point the camera along my arm. This gives a good full face shot with the cape fluttering in the background. On decent if I lower my arms you can even see the big red S on my chest.

Got Super Bunny at the word "cape." :)

Or...

AH! You're kidding me????

You're Super Bumny?

I'm Lois Lamb!!!!

It's been so long!

Just curious Jen, what kind of airplane?

It's a little plane, rather an economical sports car of a plane.

http://www.google.com/search?q=csa+sportcruiser+photo&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=95YUVa_VM8KzogSN3IDYDQ&ved=0CAsQsAQ&tbm=isch

I had a Cardinal, straight leg. I bought it so I could take Painless when he started having trouble getting into my C-120, and seeing into the future, so I could gst him in it from a wheelchair if that were needed. It turned out to be good. 'cause he did wind up in one w Parkinson's, and I was able to keep him always flying w me. I have video.

However, after he passed, I needed to skim down the flying expenditures, so I hopefully can fly into my old age. Sooooo I traded in the 45-year-old Chevy station wagon for a 4-year-old Mazda Miata, if you will. (it's Light Sport. No medical needed. People looked at me real funny, but it's turning out to be an example to them that it's okay to switch to light sport. Doesn't mean you're old, 'Cause I'm only 57 and could still keep a medical.)

It goes about 117, 136 mph the way I had the prop set.

AND a BIG reason I switched to it is because I earned my ability to be it's mechanic, LSRM-A, which also helps with the cost. I still have mech's do some things, but it's nice to be able to do some myself also. Can't do that with a TC'd airplane.

AND it goes 2 mph FASTER than the Cardinal.

I've been all over the country in it.

Jen that is just so cool. Would love to have some stick time in one of those.

Never had a chance to fly a plane whose original type certificate is newer than 1970 (Grumman Tiger). Everything else has been from Cessna or Beech -- which was some pretty sweet stuff, BTW. My "sports car" was this -- basically a tandem seat Beech Bonanza set up for the Navy as a single engine trainer.

T-34.jpg

T-34 ?? Yes. They are sweet. We never had one of those, but we had a K-35 and part of an F-35, once.

Flying is a special thing, one to cherish.

It gives you 2 new dimensions:

In altitude.

In the heart

T-34 ?? Yes. They are sweet. We never had one of those, but we had a K-35 and part of an F-35, once.

Flying is a special thing, one to cherish.

It gives you 2 new dimensions:

In altitude.

In the heart

Ain't that the truth.

Never flown a v-tail, but have time in F-36 and and A-36. They were like Cadillacs. Much of my time was in the T-34 which was pretty bare bones. One didn't adjust the seat fore and aft -- you adjusted the rudder pedals! Not many of those left anymore due to a repetitive, expensive, (and IMO unnecessary) spar inspection. Another story...

I'm not a pilot, never had the money, but I was a member of the CAF (Confederate Air Force, now the Commemorative Air Force, have to be PC you know) and got to crew the Southern Minnesota wing PBY over a fourth of July weekend even have 30 minuets in the right seat flying it straight and level. On the way home from the two airshows we flew we blew a jug on the right engine and did a single engine landing in Rochester Minnesota. Quite an experience! Nothing like sitting in the right blister when the crew chief comes back and tells you to buckle up because we are going down. I watched them feather the right propeller and saw the fire trucks lined up on the taxiway. They followed us down the field. We parked the plane with no further incident but it sure made the weekend memorable.

Archived