SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Question

Lt John Dunbar

HI Everyone, I posted this in the Saloon, and someone suggested I should have posted it here.

They don't call Newbie's nothing for nothing!

Hi Everyone, from newbie Lt. John Dunbar.

Brand new to CAS and SASS and everything about it. Just received by
USPS today, my badge, certificate, etc. Very excited about getting into this!

I have a Rossi 92 20 inch 357, so ok on that. I need revolvers and a shotgun. My current collection does not qualify.

After a lot of research I'm thinking about a pair of Ruger Blackhawks 4 5/8 (convertible to 9mm) , and Cimarron 1878 hammered 12 gauge coach shotgun. [Note: At this time, budgetary considerations are very important.]

Any reason why I should, or should not, go along these trails?

Thanks!

JJD

HI Everyone, I posted this in the Saloon, and someone suggested I should have posted it here.

They don't call Newbie's nothing for nothing!

Hi Everyone, from newbie Lt. John Dunbar.

Brand new to CAS and SASS and everything about it. Just received by

USPS today, my badge, certificate, etc. Very excited about getting into this!

I have a Rossi 92 20 inch 357, so ok on that. I need revolvers and a shotgun. My current collection does not qualify.

After a lot of research I'm thinking about a pair of Ruger Blackhawks 4 5/8 (convertible to 9mm) , and Cimarron 1878 hammered 12 gauge coach shotgun. [Note: At this time, budgetary considerations are very important.]

Any reason why I should, or should not, go along these trails?

Thanks!

JJD

Blackhawks are good guns.

But be aware they are not legal in Duelist or GFer.

So if you think you might shot those category's. Go with Ruger NV's.

As for the SG.

Unless you just want a hammered SG. I would go with hammerless.

Faster for most. And easier to work.

That is unless you just WANT hammered.

Go with a hammerless shotgun unless you want to shoot in Classic Cowboy, in that case the Blackhawks couldn't be used. They can't be used in Duelist either as was said earlier. If you're watching the $$$ a used Stoeger could be had for around $350 or maybe less. New they go for $495.00 retail (approx.)

Good luck, this is fun!!!

Rye ;)

Weclome Aboard! Go out to a couple of shoots you'll meet the nicest people anywhere and they all have guns.

Idaho

Your choices will get you in the game relatively inexpensively although a Stoeger may be a less costly shot gun. They will work in any of the age based categories, but the hammered shot gun can be a handicap.

Having said that before you spend another dollar get to some matches see what others are shooting and why.

It may sound like myself and others are down on hammered shot guns. I actually used one for many years and only recently went to an 87. A hammered shot gun can be competitive, but good technique must be developed and used.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I use 9mm cylindered Blackhawk, Old Vaquero, and USFA 6guns for main match revolvers. The 9mm round is ideal for CAS. Pinch a powder and zero recoil. I have two TTNs and they are great shotguns. My first, a 20 inch with CCH receiver, has been so good the all blue back up is still in the box.

That said I usually use my hammerless SKB or any of many Stoegers, Baikals, Savage/Stevens etc etc for main match work. The hammer gun may be slower but not by much and I am so slow and could care less about all out competing it matters not. On a rare occasion I will use an 87 lever shotgun albeit a Chinese copy. Those are some fun but are getting harder to find and more expensive daily. Heck fire some days I will use a single shot. Some fun.

So get the BH convertibles unless you may want to shoot some day those categories where they are not welcome. And go for the TTN if that if what you like, it is legal in all categories and a great gun

If your close enough, I don't know where your at in "ILL ANNOY" but a trip to Paradise Pass Regulators in Etna Green, Indiana or Wolff's Rowdy Rangers in Bristol, Indiana may be a benefit. Lots of Cowboys and Cowgirls would be glad to help you out with Guns and Leather suggestions.

The usual advice here is go out to a Cowboy shoot and ask about the different pistols and shotguns. Learn the ins and outs and how they handle. Cowboys will gladly help you and probably convince you to shoot them with their ammo.

Ike

Best advise right there!

Wow, you got a great alias. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Welcome, Teniente!

"Get to a local match before buying stuff" is always good advice. I'd prefer to see folks show up without stuff, because they have more options. The last thing I want to see is new folks who have bought the wrong stuff; they either have to buy again, which is bad news, or struggle with equipment.

Lots of folks think that convertible revolvers are the ticket. Maybe, maybe not. In theory a convertible lets you shoot surplus or bulk pack 9mm or .45 ACP ammo that is cheaper than commercial ammo in the rimmed counterpart. Assuming you can find that cheap autopistol ammo, it will probably have jacketed bullets that cannot be used under SASS rules. Not to knock the convertibles but they may offer little advantage as match revolvers.

Another reason to come out before buying all the gear is that you may find that some other shooter may have guns for sale. This happened last weekend at our club; the first timer did not have a shotgun but another shooter had just purchased a new shotgun and was putting his old one (which was only a couple months old) up for sale. If you are not there, you miss out.

What category yanks your chain the most?

For me it's B-Western so I need a '92 rifle.
Vaqueros are "the" choice - you can find used ones often enough for $400ish, new 650 ish. Various models out there that affect price some. Why blackhawks over a vaq?

As for shotgun..I went budget and got a chinese hammered form dunhams, polished up the chambers and guts and its' great - but hammers are a tad slower than no hammers for obvious reasons. I figure a second maybe - depends if you have to reload more than once. I like the hammers - it's nostalgia thing I guess- my pistols and rifle have hammers, why not the shotgun?

What category yanks your chain the most?

For me it's B-Western so I need a '92 rifle.

Vaqueros are "the" choice - you can find used ones often enough for $400ish, new 650 ish. Various models out there that affect price some. Why blackhawks over a vaq?

As for shotgun..I went budget and got a chinese hammered form dunhams, polished up the chambers and guts and its' great - but hammers are a tad slower than no hammers for obvious reasons. I figure a second maybe - depends if you have to reload more than once. I like the hammers - it's nostalgia thing I guess- my pistols and rifle have hammers, why not the shotgun?

For rifle, I have a new Rossi 92 .357 in 20" oct barrel and case hardened other metal. Really like the way it looks, balances and shoots, and seems to eat anything. Got that last summer before I even thought much about CAS or SASS.

Think I'm leaning toward a hammered shotgun, probably a nostalgic thing.

As to categories, like others have so well said, I need to get out and personally see what folks are doing. Seems to be lots and lots of choices, and a collective wealth of experience to tap into.

I did just pick up a new .357 Blackhawk convertible on GB for $507, just to have something to practice with a bit before I show up. (Got a lot of 9mm ammo to shoot up.) I have some DA revolvers but no SA, until now. [gonna be sellin' somethin', Honey, don't fret!]

Should get that in about a week. Might use for hunting anyway, and can always sell or trade it out, I think. Seemed like a good deal.

Anyway, all of this is amazing fun! Thanks!

JJD

You can use the guns that you have listed to shoot two-handee, age-based categories. These are the most common categories with around half of the cowboys that I know shoot in. The othe r half are divided in gunfighter, duelist, classic cowbou, B western and BP categories.

Many cowboy wils change guns as their tastes changes, they wish to shoot in other categories or their equipment wears out. You can always find buyers for good quality guns. Leather is a different matter. Your guns, category or tastes will determine the best style of leather.

Get to a match.

You can use the guns that you have listed to shoot two-handee, age-based categories. These are the most common categories with around half of the cowboys that I know shoot in. The othe r half are divided in gunfighter, duelist, classic cowbou, B western and BP categories.

Many cowboy wils change guns as their tastes changes, they wish to shoot in other categories or their equipment wears out. You can always find buyers for good quality guns. Leather is a different matter. Your guns, category or tastes will determine the best style of leather.

Get to a match.

Thanks, T.B. Yeah, I really see the leather decision as quite deferred until I have some idea of what my "guns, category, or tastes" even are!

You will need a hammered double for Classic Cowboy but your other guns will not pass muster for that. If you want it bad and dont care about being slower than hammerless go for it.

CPT, I'm sure that's helpful, but I'm so newbie that I honestly don't capture the meaning of what you're telling me, which is why I've got to get out and meet a bunch of folks and learn what many of these things are alll about. I kinda got lost on "want it bad and don't care about being slower than hammerless".........don't quite understand that, but I do intend to figure this out.....

You will need a hammered double for Classic Cowboy but your other guns will not pass muster for that. If you want it bad and dont care about being slower than hammerless go for it.

Well in all fairness, there a several cowboys I shoot with that can run a hammered double twice the speed I can run a hammerless.

Well in all fairness, there a several cowboys I shoot with that can run a hammered double twice the speed I can run a hammerless.

Bring it on!

Archived