SASS Wire Forum

Browning Centenial '92-44 mag

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

Don't count on it working with .44 Special. The Brownings are VERY well built. But, are OAL sensitive, especially in .357. They are the best built 92 clones and don't have the tang safety like the newer Winchester 92 clones. Great gun at the right price. (FWIW, Browning 92s in .44 Mag don't bring as much money as a .357.)

I used one for years. Loaded it only with black powder. Called 44 Extra Long Russian (44 ELR). Great gun. Still have it. Will use it again this season. Yes, it will handle full house 44 Mag. loads far beyond what you want for SASS, but why would you?

Buy the gun or else let us know where it is and it'll find an owner promptly. Browning is the name of the original designer. John Moses Browning, by name.

DD-MDA

Howdy,

If its about the price of a new rossi, you might give it a try.

If its a big premium over the rossi, maybe give steve Young a call.

Last I talked to him the Browning didn't have any special advantage.

The Browning may have a nicer finish.

Best

CR

I have one , don't use it , have a 73 for main rifle , but it runs 44 Special just fine. I do not say they all will , but mine does. Pretty little thing , but for whatever reason 92s just don't fit me well.

To Fargo Bill , if you like 92s , be hard to go wrong , unless price is unreasonable. Have seen some like that on GunBroker. And the 357 models of the Browning are higher priced because there were way less of them.

Good luck , Rex :D

Make sure it will feed a round. I had one unfired that rounds would not feed from the mag to the carrier. Took it to a gunsmith who said the the insides were built for 357's but the barrel was for a 44. So now someone else has a really nice looking safe queen. But if it works right they are very nice guns.

Has $995 on it. It is unfired and is like new with box. Beautiful stock.

No a bad price at all. They are very finely made little rifles, and are not cluttered up with any kind of extra safety. I shot one for a couple of years, when I first started shooting CAS, and mine worked well with 44 specials loaded long. it would also handle 44 mag loads that would make a sane man cringe. It's a light carbine, and heavy loads are no fun!

Archived