SASS Wire Forum

German pistol question

My friend has what appears to be a Luger - he sent me a pic asking if anyone might be able to help find info on it....figure I'd come here to the experts...

anything you can share would be great...thanks...

German%20Luger_zpsdeyic99p.jpg

German%20Luger%202_zpsvvwuzgxe.jpg

GG ~ :FlagAm:

A few more pics would be nice. See if he can get one of the whole gun so we can see bbl length and markings. Also the magazine.

GG

as you should well know , Lugers are a field unto them selfs , with out lots more pics , hard to tell much else on it

based on what I see , I feel the grips have been replaced , too sharp , over all condition , with replaced parts

I would say around 35 to 40 % at best

CB

Doesn't the 1918 stamp mean it was a military or police gun, and therefore allowed to be 9mm?

They built anything they wanted until the surrender and armistace terms. And that was very late 1918.

They built anything they wanted until the surrender and armistace terms. And that was very late 1918.

Yeah and I thought the 1918 stamp meant something along the lines of "This pistol complies with the 1918 laws and can be a military caliber". Guns older than 1918 could either get the stamp (and be in government hands) or be chambered in other calibers like .30 luger.

I think there were 2 possible date stamps in that location.

1918 is the year of manufacture. That's it, no sneaky stuff. They DID however do that after the Armistice. Undated Lugers are called "sneaks" the dates were purposely left off to fool inspectors though later, they changed some manufacturer markings (IE: Mauser = S/42) and used letter dates to fool the inspectors right up to WWII. 7.65 was the Luger's original caliber and Georg Luger developed the 9mm from it because the Army wanted a more powerful cartridge. The 7.65 was commonly found in import Lugers, those of that era can be identified by the word GERMANY all in capital letters stamp.

By treaty Germany was required to surrender certain weapons and was restricted on the types and amount of firearms they could produce. Towards the 1930's, this was widely ignored. Today, almost any old Luger can bring $1000 with the norm being $1500-2000 and more. I fear those days when I bought Lugers by the crate for $150-200 are long gone!

Yeah and I thought the 1918 stamp meant something along the lines of "This pistol complies with the 1918 laws and can be a military caliber". Guns older than 1918 could either get the stamp (and be in government hands) or be chambered in other calibers like .30 luger.

I think there were 2 possible date stamps in that location.

Archived