SASS Wire Forum

New VS Old Model Vaqueros - Which do you prefer?

Shifty Jack, SASS #65353

I got into this whole addiction that includes a lot of gun purchasing right around the time that Ruger was fading out the old model vaqueros for the new ones. I currently have new models in 357, but I have always felt a certain desire to obtain a pair of old models. My question to you gents that have or had both old and new model vaqueros, which do you prefer and why? Let's see if I end up lightening the wallet and weighing down the safe a little more with this discussion!

I shoot 44 mags with black powder. Old Models were chambered in 44 mag while new models are not. Therefore I shoot Old Models. I have small hands for a male and the New Models actually fit me better. I just love my Old Models too much to change.

Since they don't make the new ones in 44-40 or 38-40, I'd go with the old versions. When I have the money, I can't find them. When I find them, I don't have the money!

There are no Old Model Vaqueros. There are old or original Vaqueros and New Vaqueros now just called Vaqueros. Both versions are New Model Rugers. I love both because they are Rugers and desireable. Fill the bill and work well for all jobs and recreations

I shot GF for years with Vaqueros. I shoot FC Duelist now and the arthur-itis in my broken ol' thumbs makes me appreciate the smaller grip frame and longer hammer spurs on my NM Vaqueros. YMMV.

Original/larger Vaquero provides a little more clearance between hammer and web of my hand, so less tendency to short stroke it due to settling deeper in my hand under recoil. Love the feel of the New Vaquero, but would rather shoot the originals.

I just shot a pair of New Vaqueros this past weekend. I've been using a pair of Old Models since staring SASS in '04. I prefer the bigger grip frame of the Old Models. They fit my over-sized mitt a lot better than the Colt frame-sized New Models. I noticed it when I grabbed up the pistol on a 5-shot dump stage and found my grip way too high up on the frame. Never had that happen with the Old Models. Maybe with practice, I can overcome that, but I've got ten+ years on the Old Models already.

Got some old ones and some new ones.

Which do I like the best?

The ones I'm using at the time. And love 'em all dearly.

I sold my older models and switched to the NMV's once they came out. The ones are hell for stout, and if I was doing handgun hunting I'd prefer one of those models, but for general purposes such as CAS the NMV balances much better... More like a Colt SAA.

They never really felt right, but then again, I grew up on Colts.

SC

I like the new vaqueros quite a bit, but I have small hands. I do, however, plan to pick up an original vaquero in 44 mag someday when I can find one with the right price. That would make a great hunting sidearm.

I got into this whole addiction that includes a lot of gun purchasing right around the time that Ruger was fading out the old model vaqueros for the new ones. I currently have new models in 357, but I have always felt a certain desire to obtain a pair of old models. My question to you gents that have or had both old and new model vaqueros, which do you prefer and why? Let's see if I end up lightening the wallet and weighing down the safe a little more with this discussion!

If you want to use the guns for uses other than CAS, have very large hands, want to shoot hot mag loads, etc you might want old model Vaqueros. Right now the new model guns are very good right out of the box for SASS.

I am like Edward R.S. Canby, I have small hands. I have been shooting my Old Model 44 mag. Vaquero's for 16 years now. I like the size of the grip frame on the New Model Vaquero's, but they don't make them in 44 mag. and I am not going to change calibers, in pistols and rifles, just for the smaller grip.

I started out with ORVs. They are built like tanks fit my hands well but handled like trucks. I tried a couple of sets of clones they felt small to me, and handled like sports cars but had reliability issues. The NRVs are a very good compromise for me, after adding spacers to the grips they fit my hand perfectly, they handle much better than the ORVs and are much more reliable than the clones.

As for NRVs in 44, I think there was a limited run of 44sp. I do not recall any in 44 mag.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

There is such a thing?

No, and it's never gonna happen.

Please spare us the lecture about no such thing as an Old Vaquero. Everybody knows exactly what we are talking about when we say Old Vaquero.

I have three 'original model' Vaqueros chambered for 45 Colt. This stainless pair is what I was shooting when I first started shooting CAS. They still come along as backups to every match in case I have a problem with my Colts. So far I have been glad I had them along twice. These have Power Custom half cock hammers in them, so I load them just like a Colt, from half cock.

stainlessvaqueros.jpg

I bought this pair of 357 Mag New Vaqueros for Mrs Johnson when she started shooting CAS with me. She doesn't shoot much these days so they mostly just sit in my safe. No, I ain't gonna sell them.

NewVaqueros.jpg

I guess if you're asking which style I prefer, I prefer the old ones. Even though I mostly shoot my Colts, and they are closer in size to the New Vaqueros.

I have only owned the OMV. I have normal sized but thick (read fat) hands A set of Altamount slim grips made these guns near perfect for me. I typically shoot GF. I load .45s with enough umpf so that the guns roll back and place the hammers to the right angle to be cocked when the guns roll forward. This is not the perfect style for other GF/duelist shooters but it works for me.

I would dnot turn down a great deal on a pair of new Vaqs but I am quite staisfied with the older design.

I prefer the old ones. They just feel better in my hands.

If you have ever wanted to get the same feel from new ones, just get thicker grips for the new one. There are only two differences between the old and new. The old is .5" thick while the new thinner, maybe something like .4" iirc. And the frame outline has been moved forward on the new. About 1/16" iirc.

Old grips can be put on a new pistol with very little work. The outlines are the same basically. The only material removed will be to shorten the nose (the straight bit just forward of the medallions).

First thing I did when I got my NVs was to dig out some Maple grips I'd made back in the 90s that had only been used for a month or so on the OVs back then. They didn't seem to look right on those blued 7-1/2s. They look good on the new SS ones. No fitting required..... except for the one cut to "move them forward". oh and relocating the locating holes....

My tongue was in my cheek when I said I'd like a brace of NMVs in 44 Magnum. Ruger won't make 'em cuz the NMVs can't handle SAAMI 44 Mag pressures. I do think Ruger would be wise to offer the NMVs in 44 Special as a stock item.

DD-MDA

My tongue was in my cheek when I said I'd like a brace of NMVs in 44 Magnum. Ruger won't make 'em cuz the NMVs can't handle SAAMI 44 Mag pressures. I do think Ruger would be wise to offer the NMVs in 44 Special as a stock item.

DD-MDA

Darn. You got my hopes up. I prefer new vaqueros, but I also would love to have a 44 mag. Guess I'll have to get an original vaquero for that someday.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here (maybe I missed it) is that with the new vaqueros, the cylinder lines up with the loading gate. I don't think the original vaqueros do. I know the black hawks don't. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but when loading them and you pass the click, you have to go all the way around again to load that one.

Well harrumph DJ my feelings are hurt. I never said there is no such thing as an Old Vaquero as you have accused me. Old Vaquero or original Vaquero are perfectly correct terms. The term Old MODEL Vaquero is the one that is an impossibility and you very well know why where so many here don't. This is the only forum where the incorrect term is popular. Use it on the Ruger forum for example and the "pards" there will correct you quick. And not near as nice as I always try to be.

It was not a lecture but a friendly reminder. That's all. It is beyond me why CASers insist and persist in typing 5 extra key strokes along with a shift to get it incorrect when they could leave out the 5 keystrokes and be correct. Crazy! If it were the opposite were true and the 5 extra key strokes were needed to get it right then I would be just as quick to lobby that way.

No I am not lecturing but I do reserve the right to if and when I feel like it. Even without your permission and with your chiding. You have my permission, not that you need it, to do the same pard.

unle3ss you put them side by side you won't know the difference. the new ones have a stronger hammer spring, change it and they're the same. i use one of each.

3 pairs of orv's, one of those is a pair of bisley's, one pair of nv's shortstroked, one pair of usfa's. Always end up shooting my orv's. Just feel better. As far as big and heavy, what ever you get used to I suppose.

unle3ss you put them side by side you won't know the difference. the new ones have a stronger hammer spring, change it and they're the same. i use one of each.

Heavy springs in new vaqueros is a recent development. Before that new vaqueros had significantly lighter springs than old vaqueros.

Heavy springs in new vaqueros is a recent development. Before that new vaqueros had significantly lighter springs than old vaqueros.

my OM I got used, my NM I got late last summer new.

BIG difference in spring weight.

I got wolf springs and made them both 17# hammer and lighter trigger springs. They now match.

As it's been stated recently, this isn't a bullseye competition, we're not shooting bears, just light lead loads so OM has no benefit - NM might as it's lighter. Lighter springs aid in speed and as my OM always lit my primers I went that way. Could I go lighter? Maybe. But it aint broke..

Technically, there are only "Ruger Vaquero's" and "Ruger New Vaquero's"! If you want to argue that point, look at what is stamped on the left side of the frame below the cylinder window. There is also no such thing as an "Artillery Colt's Single Action" nor a "Cavalry Colt's Single Action"! They, and the sometimes called "Civilian Colt's SA" are all just Colt's Single Action revolvers. But if you ask a collector what one of the original "First Generation" guns that were modified by cutting the barrel from 7-1/2" to 5-1/2" is generally called, it will be an "Artillery" model!

Using the term "Old Model Vaquero" and "New Model Vaquero", most folks familiar with the differences will use these terms for clarity. In point of fact the original Vaquero's are heftier, capable of handling the .44-40, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt's, as well as .357 Magnum. OTOH, the New Vaqueros are generally chambered in .357 Magnum and .45LC ONLY. The cylinders on the New Vaquero's are smaller in diameter and the index circle passing through the center of the cylinders is smaller than on the Old Vaquero, resulting in the chambers being too close together for .44-40's rims. Why? To insure better strength than an original Colt's SA. (Although Ruger warrantees the New Vaquero for the same pressures as a Colt's.)

I have NOT shot the New Vaquero, but note that the grip panels are actually thinner than a Colt's SAA, something I would definitely change were I to own a pair. However, I shoot a pair of convertible .44-40/.44 Magnum Old Vaqueros, and would NOT change. That's just me, however! I also am not crazy about the length of the hammer spur on the New V's, although they seem to be close to a Colt's SA. Probably would change the hammers for the OMV hammers. But, I won't change at this stage of the game.

Have both Old and New. New smaller thinner grips, easier to cock (less force not a comment on the hammer spur placement), lighter trigger pull.

If you have the bad habit of leaving a finger on the trigger, the heavier pull of the Old Vaqueros is not a bad thing.

Heft and feel in the hand is a total matter of personal choice.

Buy what feels good for you, There is no wrong answer

Not ever owning any of the new model Bisley rugers and the fact they only come in ss I'll stick with my old model Ruger Bisleys CCH 45s I was gonna get a set of the new modle Bisleys in 38/357 until I discovered that the nm Bisleys only came in SS. That was that I give up on get any more Rugers at this time.. I would like the following braces ( means two of each) Ruger Bisley CCH in the 45 colt/45acp, 38-40/40s&w, 38/357 all with 5.5" barrels

Archived