SASS Wire Forum

Is 45 ACP SASS legal?

Hoss

Saw an ad for a Ruger Vaquero in 45ACP. Birdshead grips. Cool looking gun. Dont really want one, but am curious if 45ACP is a SASS legal caliber. It was invented in 1904 I think.

REVOLVER REQUIREMENTS

Original single action revolvers manufactured prior to 1899, their approved replicas, and the

SASS approved single action adjustable sight revolvers are the only revolvers approved for use

in SASS main match competition.

Since it was not available prior to 1899, I would think no, but then again, neither was 357 mag.

SHB Page 9 Rifle Calibers... "Examples include, but are not limited to..."

SHB Page 10 Pistol Calibers..."Examples include, but are not limited to..."

SHB Page 15 Classic Cowboy...".40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. Examples include, but are not limited to...." Note "rimmed cartridges"

The .45acp, falls under the "include but are not limited to" portion.

I still question the inclusion in the CC category. There is a .45 Auto Rimmed cartridge but the .45acp is specifically not a rimmed cartridge.

I guess the ROC may have to rule on that one.

Regards

Legal to use that ammo, unless shooting Classic Cowboy category, where a RIMMED cartridge is required of 40 caliber or above.

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL • Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver. • Revolvers must be shot duelist or double duelist style. See Duelist description for required shooting technique. • Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS–legal rifle or a replica thereof (e.g., 1866 Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester).

• Revolver and rifle calibers: .40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. Examples include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

Shooters Handbook, page 15

No ROC ruling needed, it's in black and white already!

The year the AMMO was designed is not covered by the rules. It's when the GUN was designed. Otherwise, folks could not shoot .32 H&R mag either. Or .44 Mag. Or .41 Mag.

Good luck, GJ

Would there be any advantage to shooting a 45ACP vs a 45 Colt or 45 Schofield? I'm just curious. Just seems an odd cartidge for a revolver.

Back when surplus ammo abounded (like the 70s), it was cheap to shoot .45 auto in Blackhawks - lots of them had dual cylinders. Got one I bought in the early 70s, still use the .45 auto cylinder sometimes.

Now, the .45 auto could serve the same role as the new darling of big bore cowboy shooting, the Cowboy .45 Special. Cleaner burning, light loads in a (relatively) lower cost case. Except it has no rim, so cylinder has to be cut to headspace on the case mouth, and loading is a little finicky because of that.

.45 auto rim makes a very nice revolver round. And of course the .45 auto is that case body with a semi-auto rimless design.

Nothing odd about it at all, except it requires a different cylinder design.

9mm has been chambered in several revolvers. It is not unheard of, just a little harder to do.

Good luck, GJ

Would there be any advantage to shooting a 45ACP vs a 45 Colt or 45 Schofield? I'm just curious. Just seems an odd cartidge for a revolver.

Price out the cost of 45 Colt brass and 45 ACP brass and you will see why it's a viable option.

To hijack this topic, what about the 40 S&W? The cases are everywhere. Our local range is use by local law enforcement and if they bother to pick up the brass, they dump it in the trash can.

I've heard of 38/40s having extra cylinder to shoot 40 S&W. I'm guessing that would be a custom cylinder.

I'd be all over that trash can, at $1.50 a pound scrap value, that brass is worth digging out even if you don't shoot it.

Sure, .40 S&W would be legal. Per the existing rule book. Except for Classic Cowboy category.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks to GJ for handling my "light work". ;)

It was clarified long ago that the single-action Ruger (and other) convertible revolver calibers are LEGAL in all categories that don't require RIMMED cartridges.

This is another perennial question...same as how to wear spur straps...except this one IS covered in the rules.

^_^

I saw a guy shooting a 73 modified for 45 acp at a match a few months ago. There was one big downside. It took him a few stages before he started getting his brass back. None of the pickers realized he was shooting 45 acp, and since the range was used by other shooting games, the pickers just assumed his brass got lost amongst the old piles. After about the third stage, they realized that he was shooting a 45 acp and finally started getting his brass. So I would suggest that you let the pickers know ahead of time that you are shooting 45 acp.

Not to quibble but the 45 auto was created in 1904 and the auto rim was created around 1920.

So, how do you wear spur straps?

.so...what's yer point?

the.357 mag, .41 mag, .44 spl/mag and others are post 1899 as well...

REF: post #3

RT*M.

The currently running spur strap thread is HERE.

REF: post #24

My main match pistols are 357/9mm. Pinch a powder phlea phart loads. Zero recoil. One is a USFA that was never intended to be made until an e-mail was sent out in error. Only USFA model ever made with a 357 or 9mm cylinder. I am going to retire it from main match competition when I get enuff convertible Blackhawks.

Have several 45 Colt/ACP convertibles. Two are my favorites. Birdshead Old Vaquero with a Bisley hammer, hell of a belly gun. Flat top anniversary limited edition BH with the white plastic grips. Then there is the 3.5 inch Thunderer etc...

Used to have a Ruger Old Vaquero convertible in 38-40/40 S&W but foolishly let it get away

Load the 45 colt full of BP vs the ACP or Schofield and the advantage becomes instant. All about recoil management and obscured targets.

When I got started in CAS, I considered getting a pair of 45 ACP cylinders for my Cattlemans. I have lots of ACP brass and more is easy to find. Smaller case capacity makes more efficient use of powder and it's easier to visually check powder charge. The C45S brass became available so I went that way instead. Same advantages as ACP case and could modify Marlin to shoot same load. Plus I could still use 45 Colt without changing out cylinders.

Anyone know if Ruger will make a pair of 45acp cylinders for my NM Vaqueros? Would be great to have the same caliber as my rifle..........

I think Davidson's does. Check their website.

Anyone know if Ruger will make a pair of 45acp cylinders for my NM Vaqueros? Would be great to have the same caliber as my rifle..........

What rifle is that?

Have always heard Ruger will not fit ACP cylinders to any model that did not leave the factory as convertibles. Let us know what they say

Thanks, LD, didn't know if anyone had asked or had one made by Ruger. Really hate to call, you know the people that answer their phones just have a script to answer your questions..Too late to call today. I have a "CodyMatic" ............

Years ago, I wrote them, asking if I could get a 9mm cylinder fitted to my Security Six 357. They said, sure, send it in. But they would KEEP the 357 cylinder. They would not MAKE IT A CONVERTIBLE. They would just RECHAMBER IT to 9mm.

I told 'em I'd stick with my 357, thanks anyway.

Don't know if their policy on that has changed - it has been 30 years or so.

Got the response back today from an E-Mail I sent them..........

"Comment / question:

Do you have, or can you make a pair (2) of 45acp cylinders for my SASS 45lc New Model Vaqueros ?

Response:

Unfortunately, the convertible Vaquero was only offered as a distributor special. Since it was never a cataloged item, fitting a different cylinder is not a service we offer. Thank you for your email".

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Well at least they responded..... Hmmmm, if I could only find a couple of 44cal cylinders..........

Archived