SASS Wire Forum

Will a Ruger Blackhawk work for a competition gun?

Deadeye George

First, I don't know all the different categories within a typical competition but just learned that you have to have two pistols! I currently have a Ruger 357 mag "New Model" Blackhawk with a 6 1/2" barrel and am wondering if I could use this pistol in all the events if I bought a companion for it? It does have adjustable rear sights if that matters.

Secondly, do the pistols have to be a matched pair?

Yes and no, in that order. You just won't be able to shoot in Frontiersman (requires 2 C&B pistols) and Classic Cowboy (requires non-adjustable sighted .40+ cal.). FWIW, for the first 6 or 7 years, every "End of Trail" overall winner used Blackhawks.

Ruger Blackhawks are used in competition every day in CAS.

They do not have to be a matching pair but practically it would help if they were the same caliber. (The same goes for your rifle)

Adjustable sights are allowed in all aged based categories and in B-Western.

Welcome to the world of Cowboy Action Shooting.

Go to a match at your local club and try out different revolvers of other shooters. You may find you like something else a little better.

Please do this before you spend your hard earned dollars.

ACE

First, I don't know all the different categories within a typical competition but just learned that you have to have two pistols! I currently have a Ruger 357 mag "New Model" Blackhawk with a 6 1/2" barrel and am wondering if I could use this pistol in all the events if I bought a companion for it? It does have adjustable rear sights if that matters.

Secondly, do the pistols have to be a matched pair?

Absolutely. Only a couple of categories you can not use Blackhawks in.

Pistols do not have to be a match pair but it helps if they are. Especially if you are going to shoot both with the same hand. If your pistols are the same then the sight pictures are the same.

If your Blackhawks have adjustable sights you can only use them in age based categories or B-Western. If you want to shoot Duelist, Gunfighter, FCD or FCGF then you would need to get a pair of fixed sight revolvers or have your blackhawks converted over to a SASS legal fixed sight.

Ruger Blackhawks are used in competition every day in CAS.

They do not have to be a matching pair but practically it would help if they were the same caliber. (The same goes for your rifle)

Adjustable sights are allowed in all aged based categories and in B-Western.

Welcome to the world of Cowboy Action Shooting.

Go to a match at your local club and try out different revolvers of other shooters. You may find you like something else a little better.

Please do this before you spend your hard earned dollars.

ACE

+10

The SASS Shooters Handbook can be found HERE.

It will give you the low down on the categories and which require fixed sight pistols where your blackhawks would not be allowed.

Just printed it out, thanks. All too often I become complacent these days where it's just easier to ask a question on forums such as this than it is to search for written manuals. Looks like good reading material out on the porch this afternoon!

I have a pair of Blackhawks identical to yours that I competed with Saturday. I like the sights but find the revolvers a little unbalanced. I like the handling of Ruger New Vaqueros or Colt clones much better. If you lack deep pockets buying a used Blackhawk identical to the one you already own is the cheapest way to get in the game with cartridge guns. However if you can afford two new revolvers, try other models before buying. You may find some that you like much more than your Blackhawk.

Just printed it out, thanks. All too often I become complacent these days where it's just easier to ask a question on forums such as this than it is to search for written manuals. Looks like good reading material out on the porch this afternoon!

After you finish the SHB, download and read the Range Officers 1 handbook as well. A lot of the rules are further clarified in the RO1. Don't worry if you don't understand everything at first.

Welcome to SASS

When starting out matching doesn't matter unless your a top shooter coming from another organization. Read the rules found in the sass shooters handbook, range officer I and rangeofficer II manual found on the main sass site. Go to local matches watch ask questions try every gun out that you can then decide on what guns you want to buy. In the mean time take what firearms you have that are legal per the rules some ammo, what leather you have and go play with others at a local match. If you don't have everything contact the clubs representative and let them know you are going to the match and don't have everything yet and see if they can find some equipment that you'll pay for the ammo if they want. Try different leather rigs also some like a bascadero setup while allowed in all but classic cowboy as I recall others like a tradition belt and holster setup allowed in all but bwestern. Some like two straight drop holsters others like an angle to the holsters wheather cross draw or strong side. Some like a slide on the main belt others like a seperate shotgun belt. The main thing is to try many setups before buying. Once you have decided the next thing is weather to use a local leather smith or a big commercial one. Buying leather would be easier than buying guns in the beginning as most have extra guns but leather is harder to find to borrow. Get lined holsters and not the cheap Mexican stuff that isn't lined. By that I mean it uses two pieces of leather than just a single thickness of leather. Your want that so the holster stays open for reholster ing on the clock. Then get your revolvers and then the shotgun last thing will be the most exspensive single item your rifle. After you have aquired the leather and firearms you'll want to look into a reloading setup if you don't already have one and if it's a single stage you'll want to look into a progressive press if you plan on shooting a lot.

Welcome to the most addictive expressive game you ever play for fun.

I shoot a Blackhawk and a Vaquero, both in .45 Colt. A trick one of the pards in my club suggested is filing down the corners of the Blackhawk's rear sight to match the curve of the Vaquero's rear sight so I'd have a consistent sight picture on both revolvers. I bought a spare Blackhawk rear sight to try it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Howdy,

No your shootin irons don't have to match.

Yes you can shoot blackhawks, I have.

Try before you buy.

The easiest best setup in my opinion is the sass ruger sixguns.

It is very convenient to have pistols and rifle in the same caliber.

This was done in the old west with 44 WCF. Colts and Winchesters were

both made in this 44 round. It was the main round for years.

44WCF was just about GONE until SASS came along.

38 sp is probably the best way to go for now but 44WCF is fun to shoot.

And if you get interested be sure to get some good screwdrivers an keep those

screws where they are needed.

And don't fergit yer canteen.

Best

CR

Been shooting my Blackhawks for going on 19 years,The best bang for you're buck as far as I'm concerned.

Plus you can take a black hawk hunting and put pretty much any round on the planet through it to drop any animal in this hemisphere. I sold mine recently only because I haven't been able to hunt now for awhile and prefer shooting cowboy with the new vaquero or clones. You can also change out the grips with your black hawk to make them as thin or thick as you want. It really is a great gun and almost impossible to beat for the price.

Buy you another BH and ye are good to go. I suggest you buy the 4.6 inch convertible with the extra 9mm cylinder. Then when you can buy another one and retire the 6.5 incher and keep it for a backup. Not that you are ever likely gonna need a back up to a pair of stock Ruger BHs. I have both lengths and much prefer the shorter barrel for handling reasons. The pair of 6.5s only come out at this one match where the targets are smaller and furthur away

Archived