SASS Wire Forum

1894 Marlin question

Hollifer A. Dollar

I lucked up on a nice 1894 Marlin in 32-20 but it has a significant notch on the bottom of the lifter. At some point in the near future, it will probably need to be repaired or replaced. My question is, does the 32-20 rifle use the same lifter as the 357? On the surface, it looks like it would, since the cartridge length is the same (relatively) & the cartridge head diameter is pretty close. Thanks in advance!

Holler

Gunner Gatlin who frequents the wire here often has a awesome and very professional fix for worn carriers. I have had excellent luck using them on stock Marlins.

As Hombre mentioned also.....Deuce stated it correctly.

At this time, I have 3 carriers I have recently sent to Gunner to insert his SUPER hardened steel into the carrier timing ramp, which resets the timing on the carrier.

..........Widder

Thats good to know, my marlin is gettin a pretty good groove in it. I will have to pick Gunner's brain when it gets too bad !

Ricochet,

"...when it gets too bad" will be when it bites you in the rear during a good match.

Call me on the phone if you prefer and I will go over how you can tell just how suspect your timing is at this time.

If you call, have a screw driver, 2 dummy rounds and a flash lite and you'll be able to check it out within minutes.

865 / 984-4455

..........Widder

Widder,

You're right!! I'll be getting in touch with you soon. I appreciate the advice and probably saving me alot of frustration down the road.

Archived