SASS Wire Forum

Dillon XL650 case feeder 38 special issue

Outlaw Torn

I have a Dillon XL-650 with the case feeder. I am loading 38 Special. In the manual it says to use large caliber case feeder disc. I find that it continually is jamming trying to squeeze two cases into one slot. There is a white piece just before the opening where it gets stuck.

Do others feeding 38 special use the small disc, or are you using large disc? Does anyone else get cases to double feed and jam?

I would call Dillon, but I keep forgetting and when I think of it they are closed.

Figured a lot of experienced folks here might know.

Gee I think it is correct says large on it and pretty sure it says pistol as well. It came with loader when I purchased it used. Original setup was for 45ACP

Two 38 special cases fit into one slot pretty easily. I would say it jams every 10-15 cases it drops. I would just climb onto the table and pull out and experiment except hard to do as I had rotator cuff surgery 2 months ago. Trying to be somewhat cautious.

I seem to remember a spacer washer that goes under the large pistol disk for tall cases and is not used for shorter cases.

38sp is considered a short case like the 9mm.

I have loaded a lot of most calibers and I have always had the spacer in place, even on 38sp and 32-20 cases.

No issues.

When I was loading commercially I was loading 2500 ever morning, 6 days a week.

When I bought my 650s, I made a point to get a Small Pistol disk and learned that it wouldn't work for our CAS calibers.

I seem to remember a spacer washer that goes under the large pistol disk for tall cases and is not used for shorter cases.

38sp is considered a short case like the 9mm.

I have loaded a lot of most calibers and I have always had the spacer in place, even on 38sp and 32-20 cases.

No issues.

When I was loading commercially I was loading 2500 ever morning, 6 days a week.

When I bought my 650s, I made a point to get a Small Pistol disk and learned that it wouldn't work for our CAS calibers.

I have the same problem as Outlaw Tom although not as frequently. I've never seen anything mentioned about a spacer washer underneath the large pistol disk in the case feeder. I'm going to have to check into that. I can see where it would change the geometry. This might be my "one thing" that I learn today....very interesting.

Kajun

This is from page 9 of the XL650 manual.

a. Spacer Washer FIG 13: (see casefeederschematic page 57) Some calibers call for a spacer washer to be used under the casefeed plate. Installation of this washer raises the plate up a bit to make the feeder function properly with longer pistol cases (such as .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .30 M1 – this listing of calibers requiring the spacer is repeated in the caliber conversion chart on pages 46-48 of this manual).

Note: The spacer washer does not come factory installed.

As far as the white plastic adapter, mine does not have it and I don't have a problem with 38 special case feeding.

On the Dillon web page for the Large Pistol disk there is a Specification note in the upper right corner that mentions the spacer washer.

This washer is nothing special. Just a large washer that the two mounting bolts go through the center. But the added height of the disk above the bottom of the case feeder keeps the taller cases upright. Without it the taller cases seem to lean as they come up to the top of the rotation.

I have used the small pistol plate and it usually works fine. Only issue is it takes longer to feed cases since they barely fit the slots. Problem on 650 since you can go fairly fast. Not so much on a 550

Lots of good input thank you. I climbed up and looked at my setup. There is no washer installed. The white piece attached to bowel I believe is to stand up the cases as they approach opening. This is where two cases sitting in the same slot jam against this piece. I need to turn off back up casefeeder disc and push cases out.

large pistol disk and washer..never had a problem wtih 38 or 357. not once ever. run it on fast speed.

I do get some cases that don't feed into the shellplate..as if they had oversize rims or something. probably dirt or high primers (loading a batch of purchased once fired brass)

9mm...slow, and get 1 in 90 or so upside down. I added a piece of tape at the outlet of the casefeeder where it goes into the tube as i had 9's jumping out. Every so often I get a couple trying to feed at the same time and jams up the funnel at the top like a traffic jam.

Lots of good input thank you. I climbed up and looked at my setup. There is no washer installed. The white piece attached to bowel I believe is to stand up the cases as they approach opening. This is where two cases sitting in the same slot jam against this piece. I need to turn off back up casefeeder disc and push cases out.

If you have a case feeder with the white deflector in the bowl you have an old feeder. I have one on a really old 1050 and it does cause more jams than the newer ones with the curved steel plate. On mine there are three holes. For .38s I had to move the deflector to the first two holes on the right.

P3240142_zpszvwumfgw.jpg

If you have a case feeder with the white deflector in the bowl you have an old feeder. I have one on a really old 1050 and it does cause more jams than the newer ones with the curved steel plate. On mine there are three holes. For .38s I had to move the deflector to the first two holes on the right.

P3240142_zpszvwumfgw.jpg

That is exactly what I have and it does jam cases. I will pull off and see if the white plate is in the right hand holes. Thank you!

Checked and mine is setup like the picture you attached. Called Dillon and they confirmed older generation case feeder and 38's sometimes jam. Said that for 38 's the small pistol casefeeder could be used. I just put it in and will see how it works next time I load. It appears that it would work just fine and two cases cannot fit in one slot.

If you keep having problems you could try my Dillee case feeder, never jams, loads just as fast.

Archived