SASS Wire Forum

1920's Police Guns

I was poking around looking for an answer to the question in another post about the color of Boston Police Department squad car lights, when I ran across this collection of images. Some neat guns and equipment!

Have to wonder what the riot squad was shooting up in the air......

Enjoy.

http://www.vintag.es/2013/05/old-photos-of-boston-police.html

LL

Yup. And a Hotchkiss/Bente-Mercier mg mounted on the armored car. Which, by the way, does not appear to be a police photo but an army one. Soldiers wearing campaign hats (probably practicing shooting at Richtofen) and a cavalryman in the background.

My grandfather carried a .1911 as a homicide detective. He also drove his own car, an old black Cadillac. (late 20's until 1956).

My dad carried a Colt .38 for duty and either his S&W .32 or his favorite a Spanish .25 auto for off-duty.

When I came on in 1968 every precinct had two .45 Thompson sub machine guns and many 1897 shotguns. They also had a 1934 REO armored car the city bought for the labor riots. It was equipped with two machine guns. (It was refurbished and sold in the mid 80's) . I started with a model 19 S&W and in 1982 we were allowed to carry semi autos. I opted for the S&W 45. (Had to be double action). Many officers in my era carried 1911's as backups. Some carried 41 or 44 magnums. We had to buy our own weapons but they had to be approved by the city. Glocks were not allowed but St.Paul did allow them.

With the advent of women officers the city allowed semi automatics that came in a variety of sizes which allowed some females to be able to handle a handgun. The guns had to be S&W or Beretta. Weapons had to be of 9mm or 45. (Oldtimers with revolvers had to carry .357's but the city only bought .38 ammo. The oldtimers were grandfathered in).

My daugher, 5th generation, carries an M&P in .40 S&W which came in later after I retired.

This is what I remember about the Mpls P.D.

In the 30's St.Paul made a pact with gangsters, commit no crime in the city and you could hide out there. The Barker gang and others including Dillinger had sanctuary in St.Paul.

I was poking around looking for an answer to the question in another post about the color of Boston Police Department squad car lights, when I ran across this collection of images. Some neat guns and equipment!

Enjoy.

LL

Enjoy.

LL

Very tall rioters.

The Stock Market. Caused it to crash, too.

:wacko:

In those days there were many worries about MayDay riots and various Red Scare problems. The Boston Police Riots were also a concern.

And that pesky Bonus Army. Although MacArthur used tanks rather than armored cars. :angry:

Archived