SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 45-70 sight advice

Hoss

I have a 1895 Marlin in 45-70. Has a Lyman #2 tang sight. Recoil of rifle causes sight to fall down between shots, so I have to stand it back up nearly every shot, which is a time consuming pain in the rear. Sight works very well except for that. I am going to replace it, is the Marbles sight worth the extra $$$$? Will it mount in the same holes as the Lyman?

Not sure of the mounting holes will be the same or not but IMHO the Marbles is a better sight. Beter design and you get a windage adjustment. I have a Lyman on my 1895 in 45-70 and while it works I am not happy wih it. I have used Marbles on my 92 for a while and I liked it a lot better than the Lyman.

Once I get some money saved up I intend to buy a pair of MVA bases. One for my 1895 and the other for my 1874 Sharps. Plan to get 2 staffs. One mid range and one schutzen. That way I can swap sights between rifles.

Question though. Have you tightened up the pivot screw so that you can just barely move the sight? Is the detent ball and spring installed and working properly?

I've tried tightening, but did not seem to help.

IIRC the bolt extends through one side of the base and threads into the other side of the base. The nut is then tightened down locking the bolt in place. This way the bolt cannot unscrew when the staff is moved. Tomorrow when I get home I can double check.

Maybe someone else can check theirs?

Archived