SASS Wire Forum

MEC Bushings for American Pioneer Powder

Ya Big Tree

Would anyone here be willing to tell me what MEC bushing will throw 60 Grains by volume (50 grains by weight) of APP FFFG powder?

Thanks, Ya Big Tree

I use a little more than 1/2 that much APP with a little over 3/4 oz of #8 shot in my 12 ga and have no issues with knockdowns. No shortage of smoke either.

I can PM you the actual load if you wish.

Thanks Guys. I'll load a couple and see what it's like. I was told I could have trouble with knock downs at 50 Gr. by volume of APP and 1-1/8 oz.

Dave & I both shoot very close to the same load (7/8) & don't have any problems, at least not in East Texas :P

I walked out the back door and shot both the hand dipped 50 and 60 Gr. by volume.

Ye Haw. Lots of smoke with both of them. I think I'll use the 60 gr. for now, I get a much better crimp on this load and I already have the wads. Maybe after the International Black Powder Shoot I'll play with lighter loads as you both mentioned.

Thanks for the replies.

Ya Big Tree

Can ya send me a pm also if you find out what size bushings?

I've been given a MEC jr and been trying to figure out the bushings for APP.

Very nice accessory for your MEC is one of these Multi-Scale Universal Charge Bars Never have to buy another bushing again.

Thanks Guys. I'll load a couple and see what it's like. I was told I could have trouble with knock downs at 50 Gr. by volume of APP and 1-1/8 oz.

I have yet to shoot a SG KD that will not go down with 3/4 oz of shot with a muzzle velocity of around 1000 FPS. My APP load is pretty close to factory AA LNLR and works flawlessly as long as I hit the target.

On the way Kid

I'll PM ya what I've found out with mine.

I hand charged mine Tree so I cant help ya. Loadin 60 grains eh? You must have seen me trigger the 80's at the last shoot! LOL

I did some testing with various bushing sizes & made a chart that shows the charge by weight of 2FG Goex vs the MEC bushing number. It is a linear progression. PM me your e-mail address & I can send it to you.

Holler

Mec #28 bushing 7/8 #8 shot and Claybuster Wad.

DC

I founds I get better crimps if I use the CB-0178 wad and a little over 3/4 oz # 8 shot with my APP load. The shorter wad compensates for the additional powder.

If ya need to make up some space in the shot cup wad, after you charge the shot drop a couple of pinto beans on top on the shot before ya crimp. The will take up the added space and give you a better crimp. Or a Lima bean, what ever. ;)

I use a little more than 1/2 that much APP with a little over 3/4 oz of #8 shot in my 12 ga and have no issues with knockdowns. No shortage of smoke either.

I can PM you the actual load if you wish.

+1

Op when I first started shooting bp it was the second smoke in the valley. I loaded using fiber wads and close to the load you mentioned and had trouble shooting everything because it blew the center out of the pattern in my gun. That is there was a ring of shot that was the pattern with very few bs of shot in the center. I ended up borrow some shells to finish the first day and bought some shotshells for the rest of the event. I later took those loads and shot a piece of virgin cardboard and saw that the edges where peppered but the center was hardly hit.

Since then I researched why a. The pressure was so high the wad was pushed pass the shot almost all the way from the muzzle until it fell push the shot sideways up down out of its way. B. Using a fiber wad in a barrel designed for plastic wads, the reason for the high pressure was too much powder.

I've since started using app powder that was pyrodex iirc. With app I load almost like smokeless i deside on the bar by the amount of shot either 7/8 or 1oz then I use remington nitro/Sts hulls because the petals on the wad are still connected giving a tighter pattern then it took several try to find the bushing that give the correct powder volume so the hull crimps just like at the factory that's when it's loaded it's got the nice recess crimp.

Beleive me I've try making combos work the hulls either crimp like crap or you can hear the shot loose inside the hull or the crimp will actually cave in on itself. So figure out what size shot you want the buy the wad for it then find out how much powder you can use more shot usually equals less powder and vice versa. You get a little play by choosing the wad that helps but there is just so much play a wad will give you.

Why waste powder if it's not needed.

Op when I first started shooting bp it was the second smoke in the valley. I loaded using fiber wads and close to the load you mentioned and had trouble shooting everything because it blew the center out of the pattern in my gun. That is there was a ring of shot that was the pattern with very few bs of shot in the center. I ended up borrow some shells to finish the first day and bought some shotshells for the rest of the event. I later took those loads and shot a piece of virgin cardboard and saw that the edges where peppered but the center was hardly hit.

Since then I researched why a. The pressure was so high the wad was pushed pass the shot almost all the way from the muzzle until it fell push the shot sideways up down out of its way. B. Using a fiber wad in a barrel designed for plastic wads, the reason for the high pressure was too much powder.

I've since started using app powder that was pyrodex iirc. With app I load almost like smokeless i deside on the bar by the amount of shot either 7/8 or 1oz then I use remington nitro/Sts hulls because the petals on the wad are still connected giving a tighter pattern then it took several try to find the bushing that give the correct powder volume so the hull crimps just like at the factory that's when it's loaded it's got the nice recess crimp.

Beleive me I've try making combos work the hulls either crimp like crap or you can hear the shot loose inside the hull or the crimp will actually cave in on itself. So figure out what size shot you want the buy the wad for it then find out how much powder you can use more shot usually equals less powder and vice versa. You get a little play by choosing the wad that helps but there is just so much play a wad will give you.

+1

You definately need to pattern your loads. Too much BP and not enough shot will do exactly what Blackey Cole stated. If you find the center of the pattern weak reduce the powder charge and / or up the payload.

Sounds like a plan. I'll pattern them tomorrow.

I'm using AA and STS hulls, CB 1138 plastic wads, 1-1/8 oz shot, so I guess knock downs won't be a problem if the pattern is good.

They crimp very good with this load. If I start loading more Black for future shoots I will no doubt reduce the loads to save $$.

Years ago I decided against getting an adjustable charge bar. I planned on one load and only one load. Hmm, may not have been the best choice for what I'm doing now.

Tree

APP used to be Pinnacle.

Sounds like a plan. I'll pattern them tomorrow.

I'm using AA and STS hulls, CB 1138 plastic wads, 1-1/8 oz shot, so I guess knock downs won't be a problem if the pattern is good.

They crimp very good with this load. If I start loading more Black for future shoots I will no doubt reduce the loads to save $$.

Years ago I decided against getting an adjustable charge bar. I planned on one load and only one load. Hmm, may not have been the best choice for what I'm doing now.

Tree

Tree,

My Palerider load is 62 grains 2f goex, win red wad ( same as your CB wad) and 1-1/8 shot. I've substituted pyrodex with good results, so I imagine APP would work as well. That is the best pattern I've ever found in my SKB.

I'm against the adjustable bar also have about a dozen bushings but know when I put a bushing in and load that will be what I want no fiddling with the bar to get it close chose the bar chose the bushing add powder and shot of choice and pull the handle turning out loaded rounds once all the stations get filled.

Archived