SASS Wire Forum

I'm Begging U Guys to Tell Me I DON'T Need a Shotgun

Aunt Jen

Need ain't got nuthin to do with it. ;)

Aunt Jen,

It may be you are on the wrong board to have anyone here tell you that you do not need a shotgun (need has nothing to do with it), it would be my opinion that most of the folk here own at least two or more, either real or hypothetical. What kind were you not getting, double barrel, pump, auto, lever all of them have their pluses and minuses. Just trying to help, and if it makes you feel better "No do not get a shotgun"

Old Top

Aunt Jen, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy a tacti-cool shotgun nor any other 3 gun stuff!

If you just must buy a new gun to scratch that itch, feel free to buy me a SKB side by side.

Hope that helps.

:D

Grizz

Aunt Jen,

It may be you are on the wrong board to have anyone here tell you that you do not need a shotgun (need has nothing to do with it), it would be my opinion that most of the folk here own at least two or more, either real or hypothetical. What kind were you not getting, double barrel, pump, auto, lever all of them have their pluses and minuses. Just trying to help, and if it makes you feel better "No do not get a shotgun"

Old Top

Oh, thank you. Thank you.

This board does not have anyone who would help you out at a meeting of Gun Buyer's Anonymous. It has many members who have tried their 12 step program, but to a man, they have all fallen off the wagon and bought one or two or more new guns.

Now, tell me please, what kind of shotgun should I try to talk you out of?

SAY IT AIN'T SO --MO!

And 12-guage is the way to go. Stay away from those "lady's models" 20-guage pretenders.

You guys are soooo funny! I enjoy your witty replies.

I do like this one 20 gauge mossburg. Will it not knock down targets for 3-Gun?

And 12-guage is the way to go. Stay away from those "lady's models" 20-guage pretenders.

The guys at the trap club grumble when I shoot a 20 gauge Remington pump. They say it's too loud. If you're going to fall off the wagon, be nice to your neighbors and get a 12 gauge.

I still haven't figured out why anyone needs a "tactical" anything. If you can't shoot, all the carbon fiber and rail mounted gimmicks in the world won't help. Okay, maybe an adjustable stock if you're going to be shooting year round and need to wear a heavy coat sometimes.

Although like several pards have said, need don't enter into it.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I shot Three Gun in Middle Georgia in the early 90s. Used a Mossburg 500 12 Gauge "Tactical" with short bbl,composit stock, ghost ring sites, shooting 3 in Slugs. Also a Colt Python 6 in bbl. and a Ruger Ranch rifle (223) with a thirty round Mag. Lots of fun.

Hoss

Shooting is about being safe, having fun and competing. If 3-gun calls, you need the game pieces just like cowboy action. I haven't played that particular game but I suspect you will need an AR style rifle, a super zoomie carbon fiber framed semi auto pistol and dare i say it, a tactical shotgun to be competitive. If ya wanna play ya gotta pay and that's the name a dat toon

NEED:

verb [ trans. ]

1 require (something) because it is essential or very important

WANT:

verb

1 [ trans. ] have a desire to possess or do (something)

Now, it seems to me if you just have to get into this 3 Gun thing, you "need" a shotgun.

If, on the other hand, you're just toying with the idea, you "want" a shotgun. This of course, brings up the very obvious question, when doesn't a perfectly healthy, red-blooded gunaholic "want" a shotgun/rifle/pistol/revolver?

Are you going to miss paying the mortgage/electric/heat/food bill/medical expenses/car payment because of a purchase? No? Then I would start researching what works best for me.

Like it has been said in this here forum by sages much wiser than I: "Resistance is futile!" Just give in, accept your fate, and buy the thing! I guarantee you that regret will be short lived and will be followed by endless hours of happy discovery and bliss!

Everyone here understands your feelings, as we have mostly all been there in several occasions, and will fully support you in your slip into temptation!

Lol :)

Right. It's not need. I don't need it. And I can go shoot w them in pistol or rifle day.

U guys broaden my horizons. Remember how I learned to reload from you? Thank you.

And I hear from you that a shotgun is "fun.". ?? I shoot the 3 in SASS because it's required. It's a heritage thing for me. :)

But the shotgun is my least fav of them. I'm brat w the rifles, always. The pistols are fine. But the 12 gauge kicks a bit hard. I gave to be careful or my shoulder will rebel, so I use light rounds.

In a semi-auto 12 guage, will a feather light work its action? Or should I use Light Target Loads??

I only know what I know. My virtual 11-87 has the kiss of a fair maiden in a hay stack,

and feels and shoots like a dream. It is of course a 12 gauge. I have no knowledge of

the 20 gauge, only that in a SXS it has a bite like the heavier 12 gauge. Perhaps that is

because of the weight of the gun. I donno.

If the recoil from a shotgun bothers or could aggravate your shoulder, buy a shotgun re-loader and make up rounds that will work for you. You can pick up a Lee Load all for about $50 and a Mec 600 Jr for under $200. There are quite a few in here that can give you a very workable recipe that would be more comfortable for you and still get the job done.

Archived