SASS Wire Forum

Movies in the Star Trek Universe?

Aunt Jen

I've been wondering— I tend to wonder about a lot of things.

In the Star Trek universe, they don't use money. People strive to do what they enjoy, to better themselves, to better humanity... And I also notice that people in the Star Trek Universe don't go to movies, or somehow I've missed it. The occasionally give a recital, a small play (See "Ode to Spot" by Cdr. Data)

But in the 50 years I've been watching Star Trek, I don't remember any blockbuster movies in the universe as it's prevented, and I've wondered if greed for cash has provided a spark of creation and a drive to push creative boundaries—to generate something other people will stand in line to see, such as Star Trek movies. Or Star Wars...

They certainly had money is Star Wars, don't remember any in Star Trek. Maybe movies were replaced by the holodeck.

Aunt Jen,

There was an episode in the original Star Trek series, where there was a line about TV where it was said something along the lines of Television was a passing fad in the 20th century.

EC

I've been wondering— I tend to wonder about a lot of things.

In the Star Trek universe, they don't use money.

In Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home, Kirk said they don't use money in the 23rd Century. (Or maybe he was just stiffing the girl for his share of the pizza.) They probably use an electronic funds transfer system.

"Federation Express - Don't leave Sol without it!"

They certainly had money is Star Wars, don't remember any in Star Trek. Maybe movies were replaced by the holodeck.

+1

They have that. And a replicater. Which would make any food or drink they wanted. Any time they wanted.

Besides. Be boring watching a movie of them watching a movie.

In the enterprise series, when they went out into the galaxy, they discovered that most species had settled on Liquid Platinum as currency. Later known as Latinum. Some ferengi had the idea to encase it in the worthless metal gold to make it easier to deal with.

They didn't have movies, but starting with the next generation they had holodecks. I believe if mankind ever invented holodecks, it would be the last thing we ever invented.

Archived