SASS Wire Forum

Bisley to SA Colt grip.

irish ike, SASS #43615

I have a pair of Uberti Bisley Colt clones. Can you change out the grip frame to Colt grips? And it looks like I need to notch the grip frame if I want to use the Bisley hammers.

Has anyone done this and is it legal?

Ike

Don't know who all has done it...but it IS LEGAL to do so.

If they are made to true Colt specs, no. Colt's used a different mainframe on Bisleys and SAAs.

Well, yes and no. Yes the grip frame can. As mentioned below the lines from the grip frame where it attaches to the frame won't match. The plow handle grip frame will be slightly lower, maybe an 1/8".

The no part is the Bisley hammer won't work with the plow handle grip frame

I have seen a picture of a bisley with a standard sa grip.

The lines are off where the backstrap attaches .

Perhaps new screw holes were added.

That may well have been one of the prop guns used by John Wayne. IIRC it was made up by Stembridge using a plow handle grip frame and hammer, the one with the really yellowed Ivory grips.

The reason I know the bisley hammer won't just drop in is because of this project. This is a 3.5" in 45lc made up of spare Uberti parts.

DSCN1485.jpg

To get the bisley hammer profile I had to weld the upper half of a bisley hammer to a plow handle hammer lower section. This was a spare parts/spare time project over about a two year period. By the time I finished it EMF was importing the same setup as their GWII stainless Pony Express.

So now I have both. Second from the top is the spare parts Uberti, 3rd down is the GWII pony Express.

DSCN0351.jpg

I was thinking the Handbook said Bisley hammers may only be used with Bisley grips - did that change last year? Or is it my imagination?

Yes it did change, Bisley hammers may be used on any grip frame.

Howdy

Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Department. Second Gen Colt Single Action Army and First Gen Bisley Colt comparison. The Bisley grip will not line up correctly on the standard SAA frame.

bisleyandpeacemakercomparison01.jpg

I was thinking the Handbook said Bisley hammers may only be used with Bisley grips - did that change last year? Or is it my imagination?

Yes it did change, Bisley hammers may be used on any grip frame.

The Bisley hammer/frame restrictions were deleted in January of last year, following the 2013 TG Summit.

I'm not crazy about the look, but those bisley hammers and grips sure look like they should be the best shooters.

Maybe I need to think about some, on down the line. I take it from this thread that swapping either the hammer or the grip frame is a major project.

I'm not crazy about the look, but those bisley hammers and grips sure look like they should be the best shooters.

Maybe I need to think about some, on down the line. I take it from this thread that swapping either the hammer or the grip frame is a major project.

It will depend on the look you are trying to achieve and the gun you start with. Any of these conversion are relatively easy on Rugers. I install Bisley hammers to Vaqs routinely. All that is required is some material to be removed from the grip frame so the back of the hammer will clear.

However, if you plan to do this with a SAA clone, the easiest would be the EMF/Pietta GWII. The bisley to plow handle frame Hammers are probably available now. I don't know that for sure because I bought the whole gun.

If you plan to change the plow handle frame gun to bisley hammer and grip frame or vis-versa it will go on but the mating of the back strap to the frame won't match and for the bisley grip frame, you will also need a bisley trigger.

But, hey. It was good enough for John Wayne on one of his prop guns. ;)

Archived