SASS Wire Forum

The Martian

Aunt Jen

Hello fellow space geeks,

I thought I'd mention something kind of interesting and out of this world: "The Martian,"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/

a movie starring Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, etc., due out November 2015.

Seems this smart space geek, Andy Weir, wrote the novel

http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-Novel-Andy-Weir-ebook/dp/B00EMXBDMA

and it became a best seller.

I read it and found it one of the few real page-turners I've read in a long time.

It's novel that asks the question: If an astronaut were left on Mars, after a reasonable/normal mission, could he survive, anyway, some way, until a rescue mission could be mounted?

Using initial setup the novel offers, Andy Weir works it through piece by piece, as realistically as able, to work it through, and he does a marvelous job. You can also learn a lot about Mars by reading it.

Enjoy!

Just thought I'd share.

(Of COURSE I'm going to go see the movie, also!) :)

I read it on the recommendation of someone on the Wire several months ago; kept me well entertained while recovering from a back problem. Great detail, neat tech issues, at times I forgot it was fiction.

But Matt Damon? That's not who I envisioned when I read it. Maybe Edward Norton...

LL

It's an excellent book, a real page-turner.

It's science fiction only in the sense it takes place on Mars. It's a near-future technical-survival story, very well-executed.

Matt Damon sounds good for the part to me, though there isn't any Bourne-type action in the story!

Reckon I'll be downloading it to my Nook right after I finish the Alex McKnight I downloaded last night. :)

I read it on the recommendation of someone on the Wire several months ago; kept me well entertained while recovering from a back problem. Great detail, neat tech issues, at times I forgot it was fiction.

But Matt Damon? That's not who I envisioned when I read it. Maybe Edward Norton...

LL

You know, Ed WOULD fit. But Matt is also very good, and Jesssica Chastain? Great.

I yam an expert on the Red Planet. Seen every syfy movie ever made about it. Including MarsmNeeds Women.

:D

Sure. And Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

How could we terraform Mars if it lost its atmosphere due to losing its magnetosphere?

Carry a load of magnets up there?

Heat its inner core with microwaves?

It might use less power to string wires over the surface and energize them to create a magnetic field, than to re-melt the core of Mars.

The Martian Way, by Isaac Asimov?

An excellent work. But never made into a film as far as I know.

• 3 weeks later...

Took a while to get to it, but I did.

Excellent read!

Uh... spuds... they'll never be the same. :huh:

Stranger in a Strange Land? Essentially the same plot as The Martian

Archived