SASS Wire Forum

Looking for the softest "squishy" grind to fit recoil pad for a youth 97'

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Setting up a 97' for a little girl who is a bit shy of recoil. Yes I have tailored the loads correctly and the stock will be cut to fit her.. With the choices in grind to fit pads out there I'm wondering if anyone has experience as to which is the softest. Thanks for the help.

Deuce, Have you given any thought to also installing a recoil reducer into the stock. They do work and will give her an extra cushion.

When I was a POST Firearms instructor for a very large Police Dept. and Sheriff's Office combined that had over 1200 personnel to train. We always had problems with the small frame females when it came to the

shotgun training. I've seen them actually drop the gun from recoil.

I know you have tons of experience with shooting but training takes a different approach. We always

made the lightest loads that we could load to start out training and then advanced in stages. This

always gave them the needed confidence. I'm talking about loads so light that the shot had very little speed. There is a special made pad that was made from a material that made the shooting of a shotgun

seem like firing a small caliber rifle. Please excuse my old man memory as that was in the early 80's, I'm sure it's still made.

Please don't think I'm some kind of nut but you may also put a Kevlar type pad under her outer wear.

I hope you work this out so that she grabs that shotgun without thought. Good Luck David

Howdy,

I just saw some new foam stuff that is being used in the very newest football helmets.

It might have some application as a recoil buffer too.

Shotgun stops me from shooting and Im real interested.

AND be careful looking around the web for info.

Check dates on info, this has been a concern for years.

One other thing is a pad that goes on the shoulder under the shirt.

Remember not eliminating recoil just cooling it down is the goal.

And don't forget to tell beginners to not let the shotgun get a running start.

Tight is good.

Best

CR

there is also a pad made to be worn inside the clothing,,, alas it is in oh and I'm in FL,,

Softest, Squishyist, is not necessarily the bestist. After installing a ton of recoil pads, I like the inch+ thick Pachmyre pads. Since your gour going "grind to fit" and cutting the stock for a smaller person, use the "small" size.

Coffinmaker

AFAIK these are the best heavy recoil pads available. The trick will be getting one to fit on a stock that is cut down that far.

F990 Triple Magnum Field

The F990 has the side core, bottom core and foam insert combination design. The unique side core slots and field shape make it the most recoil absorbent pad in Pachmayr's line. It is the first choice for .50 BMG rifle shooter

XLT "Ultra Soft" Magnum Trap

The revolutionary new Ultra Soft pad that Shooters and Gunsmiths will love! Finally, after years of research and testing, Pachmayr engineers have developed a trap pad that's almost 50% softer than the legendary Pachmayr Decelerator. Even better, the new super soft formula has the smooth grinding and installation characteristics of our popular Decelerator pads.

Another option is to fit her for a 12 GA and then put in 20 GA barrel inserts. The added weight will help with the recoil and the gun should maintain its balance better.

Found this while looking around Remington Super Cell

When my wife 1st started, I installed a recoil pad with "honeycomb" cut-outs in it and added a kick--killer lace-up leather butt cover that had a silicon pad in it (found it a Cabelas). She has liked the set-up from day one.

I'm also a leather maker. If someone asked me to make a butt cover and if I were to make one for a very recoil sensitive young shooter, I think I would try taking some of the silicon padding that they make for 10 speed bicycle seat covers and put it inside at the end of a leather butt cover. When she gets older and more experienced, it could easily removed from the shotgun.

I just found some silicon padding sheets listed on Amazon in different thicknesses.

The Softest will the the sorbothane pads. Of those over the years I have installed pachs, Limbsavers,and Kick-Ezz recoil pads. But, now I think the best, easiest to install and grind is the

HiViz Universal Xcoil Recoil Pad

It has a peel off template that you position on the stock to locate the screw holes. It's easy to grind and if you have a belt sander (just about a must have) to grind with use a coarse 80 grit to shape then a 150 sprayed with WD-40 to finish. The WD-40 prevents the belt from grabbing.

Below is two of the 454 casull Rossi's. The bottom one has the factory pad. It's only marginally softer that the wood and the angle is just wrong for a rifle. If it were a shotgun shooting at aerial targets maybe yes.

The top one has the X-coil and the angle changed. It makes the 454 casull recoil more manageable.

454pads12.jpg

Kick-Eez Sorbothane. Awesome stuff. Have these on most of my hunting rifles. Makes an incredible difference.

Freeze the pad as hard as you can then grind while frozen.

Lost Trail said it....

KickEez

A couple years back an increase in my heart medicine made bruising real easy. REAL easy. Big black and purple shoulders were guaranteed after cowboy shoots. Just shooting the 45LC Marlin didn't do it after a day at the range. My shotgun loads were 7/8oz at 950fps and they still did it.

No bruising at all, nothing, nada after cutting and fitting a KickEez.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered a Limbsaver grind to fit. Yes the stock will be fitted to her properly and I have a 12ga. load that make .410 recoil harsh. She got bit somewhere else along the line when someone gave her a little bit stouter shell in her shotgun and now she is a little shy. The amount of recoil generated by the recipe I have is so little my 4 year old son thought it was a cream puff to shoot. The "soft and squishy" pad I think will be comfortable for her but mostly mentally it will help get over the fear being able to touch and feel how it is and then ease her back into it. Recoil reducer is not a option because that is adding weight that she does not need to handle. What I've learned in the dozen shooting schools I've taught has been that patience is number one priority when teaching the young ones and even our ladies. Intimidation plays a major role and the more comfortable they are the better sponge they are. Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered a Limbsaver grind to fit. Yes the stock will be fitted to her properly and I have a 12ga. load that make .410 recoil harsh. She got bit somewhere else along the line when someone gave her a little bit stouter shell in her shotgun and now she is a little shy. The amount of recoil generated by the recipe I have is so little my 4 year old son thought it was a cream puff to shoot. The "soft and squishy" pad I think will be comfortable for her but mostly mentally it will help get over the fear being able to touch and feel how it is and then ease her back into it. Recoil reducer is not a option because that is adding weight that she does not need to handle. What I've learned in the dozen shooting schools I've taught has been that patience is number one priority when teaching the young ones and even our ladies. Intimidation plays a major role and the more comfortable they are the better sponge they are. Thanks again guys.

Exactly. Same phylosophy I used back when I was a SCUBA DM and instructor.

I really like the Pachmyr Sporting Clays pad. Comfortable, but doesn't stick to your clothes. My Grandson was recoil sensitive and didn't even like .410. I got a Coyote Cap 1 of 200, 97 and shot low recoil Nobel Sport NSI target shells.

Archived