SASS Wire Forum

How to Clean the Boat

Aunt Jen

It's BIG n LONG--- NO!! I shouldn't say it that way. :)

No! It's of no consequence! I'm lucky it floats.

It's a Mac 26. Inexpensive yet economical, which is why I have it. I boat near the harbor, sometimes to Avakon.

WHAT KIND OF BOATS DI YOU ALL HAVE??

I worked on them for about 15 yrs so I know better than to own one.

The happiest two days in a boaters life is the day they buy it & the day they sell it...

Largo

So....what is the easiest way to get oxidation off gelcoat?

Wife picked it out when we were shopping for boats. Has a fully foamed double hull so even if cut in half it floats. Very well made no frills boat. I love it as it is perfect for my style of cat fishing.

Well... the li'l 14' Sea Nymph fishing boat, Sassparilla Kid's Coronado 15 and our ancient Cal 20. :)

Some jackass stole the canoe. :angry:

hmmm, when I worked on the turnpike and we wanted to remove oxidation we used a sandblaster!!! but then that wasn't on a boat,,, it was for plows and salt hoppers,,,, somehow I was always one of the ones chosen for that task.....

Ha! Lol. That'll do it.

No, I'm removing oxidation with a buffer and McGuires.

It's better, though I need to work on my technique.

Jen:

I've been through just about every so-called "hull cleaner" on boats from 42' down through 8'. Best I've found is 3M Boat Cleaner and Wax - takes off light oxidation and waxes in the same operation; beads water (even salt water) for a full boating season. Kind of a liquid paste, that holds well on the buffer pad. They also make a heavier duty compound for removing heavier oxidation.

I also like Collinite Liquid Fleetwax No. 870 - very similar to the 3M, but not as thick. Design for planes, but works great on boats.

Both available through West Marine or Jamestown Distributors.

LL

I just used a McGuires medium cutter and then a McGuires polish—both with an orbital buffer.

It looks great, when you just wipe off the polish, afterward, with a paper towel.

It looks dull if you then clean the McGuires off with Windex. :) So I left the McGuires on.

I'm using Bar Keeper's Friend (I think it is), where I find rust stains off stainless steel.

I'll continue to experiment.

well I am down to 2 , a 16 ft Alumacraft , with a 30 hp and a jon boat

sold the guide boat , could not guide anymore ,

now I fish for fun and food

CB

but he won't take me with him!

Sold my boat about 8 years ago , wish I kept it . I would never wax the bottom I actually lightly sanded it so it wouldn't stick to the water like two pieces of wet glass stick together

b5567a84e664e3152eed2e5896a8ff38_zpsf716

15' Sea Nymph here. 30hp Evinrude. It's only seen the water twice in two years. SASS seems to get in the way of fishin. April will be the month though. Crappies and perch up shallow with the muskies up looking for a meal.

Archived