SASS Wire Forum

Using only lead bullets - help me understand a few points

Deadeye George

Must not have shot 22s then as they are lead.

OK, OK. I stand corrected! I have shot .22LR, and lead shot in a shotgun. I was thinking CF cartridges...but you are correct.

I must have missed the name Pecos Clyde above but I did place an order from a local outfit called Bullets and more this morning for some Falcon Poly coated and Moly coated bullets. The lady I spoke with is a Sass shooter and uses the same rifle I am getting so at least the bullets she recommended should work and cycle just fine.

Thanks everyone for your input, it was VERY helpful. Now it's off searching for some powder loads.

I purchased some of those red bullets from Falcon at Winter Range from BAM also. I hope they work as well as all the folks that recommended and use them say they will. The issue I was trying to solve is to stop the wax build up in Seating and Crimping dies on my 650. Seems like I am spending way too much time cleaning it out. The added bonus is due to the increased lubricity you even get a slight increase in velocity. I will start loading them as soon as the Gathering of the Posses shoot in Casa Grande is over next weekend. Us retired folks have other things to do like golf tournaments, etc.

I shoot a lot of lead in a variety of guns and dont' have a problem UNLESS the speed of the projectile gets above 1200fps or so - but that depends on the bullet to some degree. Harder lead can take more speed.

I shoot in a weekly PPC league and almost everyone shoots lead, 9, 45 and 38. Even out of glocks! (not 40's but 9mm glocks are fine).

Shot lead from vaqueros, rossi 92 and XDm 5.25, MP9mm, AW 686 (snubby and 6"). On revolver you need to clean them more often as you'll get some lead buildup on the forcing cone and if it's a stainless gun it will look ditry in short order as well.

I'll shoot 2000 rounds in a season, clean my revolvers every 300-400 rounds and semis...1000, 1500...doesnt' seem to matter (as in affect function or accuracy).

Leading iirc occurs when shooting lead bullets at high speeds or power. We normally shoot at such a low pressure that leading doesn't occur with good quality bullets. I've not had a leading problem in years. I normally clean my guns after shooting bp. If I shoot smokeless all I do is spray the gun down with Amsoil mp then retire the gun to a gun sock. I do have a Lewis lead remover but haven't used it since I quit shooting my Ruger redhawk.

I purchased some of those red bullets from Falcon at Winter Range from BAM also. I hope they work as well as all the folks that recommended and use them say they will. The issue I was trying to solve is to stop the wax build up in Seating and Crimping dies on my 650. Seems like I am spending way too much time cleaning it out. The added bonus is due to the increased lubricity you even get a slight increase in velocity. I will start loading them as soon as the Gathering of the Posses shoot in Casa Grande is over next weekend. Us retired folks have other things to do like golf tournaments, etc.

You may want to change suppliers of straight lead bullets. Some suppliers use crappy lube that gunk up your dies and others use good lube that don't fowl/buildup your dies. Or you can spend more for what you are talking about.

Archived