SASS Wire Forum

PET PEEVES: sound off Pards

I'm thinkin' of gettin' me a nice cutting horse so's I can herd my peeves. Maybe a big English Sheep Dog that I can train to watch 'em so they don't wander off. That way I can tend to other matters without my peeves getting into trouble.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to comment on this. Yes, people do abuse the privilege, but often times handicaps may not be immediately obvious. I have 2 fake knees, 2 rods and a cage in my spine, and a plate in my foot. I've been the subject of comments like this because there are the occasional days when I can get out of the truck and not limp very much, bu the pain is constant, and how far I can go is day to day. Like the days where I'm doing good to get from the handi-spot to the store and back.

Guess what I'm trying to say is because it isn't obvious, doesn't necessarily mean there isn't pain and disability there. :mellow:

Hi Dan,

I'm glad you brought this up. I wanted to write something and hesitated.

What you mention is true about deceptive appearances. My Hubby is very slim (down to 190 lbs. and 6'5") and has muscular arms. If you saw him, you might think he's abusing the privilege, until he falls down, trips... He has degenerative disc disease, a bad knee, and worst of all, peripheral neuropathy.

Regards,

Allie

Hi Dan,

I'm glad you brought this up. I wanted to write something and hesitated.

What you mention is true about deceptive appearances. My Hubby is very slim (down to 190 lbs. and 6'5") and has muscular arms. If you saw him, you might think he's abusing the privilege, until he falls down, trips... He has degenerative disc disease, a bad knee, and worst of all, peripheral neuropathy.

Regards,

Allie

I am compassionate toward what are called "invisible" disabilities (which can be defined variously by the ADA of 1990 and also numerous state laws). Things that could qualify might be heart diseases, diabetes, musculo-skeletal issues, spinal issues ... more than I can count. These are real and can be quite debilitating. The reason a doctor may give a handicap placard to someone is if he/she feels it is necessary to help the patient limit steps.

When my husband was in a wheelchair, he had a placard so we could use the (wider) handicap spots, which was great, and I've been in so many nursing homes over the years that I have a great compassion for various forms of handicaps. Ambulating handicapped persons has become something of a specialty of mine, in recent years.

However, on the invisibles, I am also concerned that sometimes I've known people to play up a medical issue to a doctor and ask for a handicap placard, and sometimes I fear that a doctor may provide the handicap placard when it's not really needed --- to keep the patient happy. It's revenue. (YES, there are GOOD DOCTORS who would not fall for this, but sometimes I have found myself wondering.)

Overall, the system is good, important to have, and where abuses can exist and are important to address (as are all systems of human endeavor), I believe a civilized society MUST help make life's integration more possible for handicapped individuals.

I believe it's better to have some people abuse the law and help the handicapped, than to over-struggle to prevent abuse by a few and limit real handicap activities in society. Where humans must err, I believe this is the way to go.

No one has problems with the 'true' handicap people that needs the placard sign for parking. You can witness it when the driver/passenger get(s) out of the car and proceed to the store in a manner than suggest they have issues.

The rub comes in when an able bodied person uses the Placard.

I am witnessing more and more people at SASS shoots claim some sort of physical limitations to avoid doing some/allposse duties, but they sure can motor along when it is their turn to shoot. Hummm!

Okay, WORDS that don't exist but that people use anyway, when if confronted will say, "that's the way I pronounce it," without realizing that it's not a pronunciation issue. Leaving out a syllable and adding another is just... :)

Nukular. It's NUCLEAR

Jewlery. It's JEWELRY

Realator. It's REALTOR...

:)

Jimmy Carter, who was supposed to have been in the Navy and served aboard a nuclear sub always mispronounced it. Made me crazy.

In the mist of an all out nuclear bombardment, natural catastrophe or personal assault, several will say,,,,'No Problem'.

Edit: New words are formed every day and eventually make it to Webster. Then the local pronunciation is a whole different thing.

Answer me this: Why do we require a license to fish but not to have children?

I think that would be considered by most to be too against the grain of an ingrained (if you will) primal need in humans, having children.

IMHO, If over population continues, though, and resources dwindle, if the planet's ecospheres become more adversely impacted, it could come to a very serious drive to limit offspring --- even a necessary one to ensure survival.

China has limited offspring.

Come with.

KNOCK IT OFF!

I think that would be considered by most to be too against the grain of an ingrained (if you will) primal need in humans, having children.

IMHO, If over population continues, though, and resources dwindle, if the planet's ecospheres become more adversely impacted, it could come to a very serious drive to limit offspring --- even a necessary one to ensure survival.

We are there now.

Is China's population still growing?

How does China limit offspring?

Finally, China's industrial growth is growing at a staggering rate. The China population 'wants' all the things Western Countries have been enjoying for decades. They are no longer satisfied with working in the fields.

How many Trillions in debt is the USA?

China owns USA. :(

OK, I'll add one.

Why, after being together darn near 30 years, will my wife STILL speak when I am not paying attention in her direction or expecting a conversation? I am a tad impaired in the hearing dept. and tend to tune out of conversations/noise that I do not hear clearly. I tend to fill in gaps by watching a person speak. She knows this but still thinks I'm ignoring h...... OK maybe I am but, hey, I'm a man!

OK, one more.

People that think being on the SASS Wire at work doesn't count as work! Hey, I'm typing so I must be busy!

Now I'm certainly not one of the Grammar Cops, but there are a couple of minor grammatical errors I notice.

"Are you done?" My English teacher used to say, "Biscuits are done. People are finished."

"For free." Another one I got from my English teacher. There in never a need to use "for" before "free."

~~~~~~

A couple of overused cliches.

"It is what it is."

"At the end of the day."

That reminds me, I find "added bonus" annoying and redundant. Being a bonus implies it is added. Also, "these ones." Either name them, "these shoes" or just say "these," if is obvious what you are talking about.

Chewing gum with an open mouth.

People who drive slowly on my road and won't pull over. It is double yellow all of the way to town (8.5 miles).

Whew! I feel better now! ;)

Jimmy Carter, who was supposed to have been in the Navy and served aboard a nuclear sub always mispronounced it. Made me crazy.

Jimmy is from Georgia. ;)

Abuse of hands free devices and speaker phone or push to talk on cell phones.

I can understand using a hands free device with your cell phone when your hands busy doing something like driving or working but don't walk around jabbering with your hands in your pockets. The rest of the world can't tell if you are talking to them, on your phone or just carrying on a conversation with the voices in your head.

If you do choose to use a hands free device in such a manner, don't get all worked up when someone dares to respond to you while under the impression that you were actually talking to the person in front of you.

Use of a speaker phone in public automatically eliminates any expectation of privacy, so don't be offended by comments from the peanut gallery.

For example. if Mike is constantly coming in late to work, don't talk about it in the dining room of a restaurant and expect it to be private unless you are willing to have every one in the dining room pitch in their 2 cents worth of free opinion.

Been there, did that and he didn't seem to appreciate my opinion that Mike would continue showing up when he wanted until he took a stand. It doesn't matter how good a worker Mike is if he's never there when he's suppose to be.

Speaking of speaker phones, don't walk around playing your music over the speaker of a phone.

I don't want to listen to the latest hit from Taylor Swift, that bootleg Slayer track you got from your bro or the new Rihanna remix. Unless we're gonna take turns like we did in elementary school at the holiday parties. If we are, I call next. I've got a copy of The Lumberjack by Jackyl on my IPod. I hope you like a chain saw being played as a musical instrument.

Do everybody else in the world a favor and go down to the dollar store and buy a set of ear buds. Nobody else will have to hear it and your listening experience will be far more enjoyable because the sound quality will be far better even through a crappy set of ear buds.

Drivers who have no idea how to correctly use a turn signal or just don't give a rats a**

You are no fun. ;) I practice using my turn signals all the way to the Big City, which is hundred miles away and no traffic. Cows, deer, turkeys, elk, and other critters don't pay no attention. Then when I get there, I furget turn signaling, stop lights/signs and just turn when I feel like it. LOL. My, how that upsets folks. At least they have to drop their cell phones to blow their car horn at the car beside me. LOL.

Another PEEVE:

people who are tooooo lazy to put the shopping cart in its designated pen in the parking lot, especially when they are only 1 or 2 car spots away.

AND...one of my biggest aggravations is this one: You can use your cell phone and call someone over in China and get clarity in your conversation. WHY is it that fast food chains can't have a good communications system in their drive-thru thats good for 50 ft?

..........Widder

The misuse of their (belonging to them), there (a place as in over there or the beginning of a sentence i.e. There are three cats waiting to be fed.), and they're (contraction for they are).

Yes, I am a retired school teacher, but this is something everyone should have learned in elementary school (which is what I taught) or at least by high school.

The misuse of their (belonging to them), there (a place as in over there or the beginning of a sentence i.e. There are three cats waiting to be fed.), and they're (contraction for they are).

Yes, I am a retired school teacher, but this is something everyone should have learned in elementary school (which is what I taught) or at least by high school.

Another poster mentioned "lose" and "loose", but let's not forget "to", "too" and, "two". I did learn all the above in school, Miss Lorelei.

People who are willing to hurt others--not in defense, not to right a wrong, not to stand up for themselves, but for their own gain, to get something, to further their own end.

Some people---sometimes a lot of people---lack an empathy circuit, or are so primal they will hurt others so they, themselves, can benefit.

Just the lack of tolerance and good manors

sometimes I cain't hep mysef

uuummmm AH HELL NO :ph34r:

Well in that case, ...

(Aunt Jen shares a list of peeves so FAST it went into the recent past, and so funny, KK laughed himself into the hospital. They had to give him laughing gas to calm him down! It was so BAAAAAD, Richard Pryor was sainted.)

GET WELL FROM THIS THREAD, too, Karl.

And take that suppository out of your mouth!! You don't know where it's been---or maybe u do.

And take that suppository out of your mouth!! You don't know where it's been---or maybe u do.

YEW.....the thought of that will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

..........Widder

AMEN! I NO perzackly what ewe meen.

..........Widder

People who are willing to hurt others--not in defense, not to right a wrong, not to stand up for themselves, but for their own gain, to get something, to further their own end.

Some people---sometimes a lot of people---lack an empathy circuit, or are so primal they will hurt others so they, themselves, can benefit.

That has to be more than a pet peeve, because it happens everywhere and all the time across the whole world.

Archived