SASS Wire Forum

When to Sell the Bike

Aunt Jen

Thank you.

I've already got it sourced. Need to wash it--thing won't wash itself.

This summer I'll take it around the southland, Rock Store, maybe amusement parks....from San Diego to here. I wouldn't mind taking it to Vegas to see Penn n Teller. Have seen them couple times before--that and another show, still CHEAPER than the Laughlin trip used to be.

(I just feel desultory, rudderless, without Painless. Only writing gives me goals.)

Howdy,

Sports car. Something that handles better than it does anything else.

an outfit has figured out how to put a Honda v6 into a Miata.

only adds 40 pounds to the total car weight while taking hp from 120 to 240 and

still runs on regular gas.

Early Miata are under 5grand easy, maybe under 3.

So the whole deal could be under 10, probably.

See latest grassroots motorsports magazine article.

And even the ac works....

Best

CR

I did own a vette, before '05, C-6. It had punch and turned well. But it was noisy, scraped nose or such in driveways, drove like a truck... I couldn't even use the phone in it. Stranded us twice. Bad Chevy dealer. Yuk

I like the idea I'm hearing: some car that has a lot of zing. But I'm not sure what that would be. I don't want a car that feels tight it macho, not strong or muscular.

The Harley doesn't. It's like. Cadillac: luxury appointments, cruise power, not a dragsters, easy/loafing RPM in cruise, nit tightly wound.

I would NOT want z Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche.... I've heard good thongs about a Porsche, but I sense it would be tight, persnicity.

I would (money permitting) a jeep gran Cherokee, luxury Lincoln, Rolls Royce.... Something comfortable, that snuff up to me like a sweater, NOT a Mustsng, vette, Challenger.

The Prius is good: inexpensive, great gas mileage, comfy, modern/futuristic...

I will see, though. A car with zing?

Sounds to me like a Cadillac.with Tom Sellileck in it.

Aunt Jen,

Find a used Exotic Car dealer in your neighborhood and look into a MB SL, either a 500 or 550. They are an entry level super car, but Refined! You can find them anywhere from 30k on up to the Stratosphere, but in any event, they will rock you big time! Super car performance with the style and comfort one needs to make a 'proper' entrance upon arrival. The only time I stopped missing my two wheelers was when I drove my MB... No looking back!

SC

I haven't ridden in many years, don't really see riding again. But, never say never, I might get a wild hair sometime in the future, though I don't know that my hands would take it any more.

Done motorcycles, ATVs, dirt bikes, the lot of them. Many of the folks I tried to ride with were all about going fast and seeing how many miles they could put on, or on ATVs the most aggressive terrain they could ride. For me, it was more about the scenery I guess, I liked to take it slower, and stop when the mood hit just to smell the flowers or take a picture or two.

As to your bike, if it brings you enjoyment, even if it just sits in the garage by all means keep it. There are a few things I hang on to that I'll never use again but they just bring my joy with the associated memories. What may seem silly and not practical to some may bring another happiness. Follow your heart.

That said, for some, if they have gotten to the point where they can't ride any more, though you are far from that I assume, having their bike around might bring pain, so selling it might be the best thing.

I am rambling, I should head for the bunkhouse.

Have a good night.

Grizz

A friend of mine passed away last month from brain cancer @ 54. Never sick a day in his life, but everything about life changed for him on a Wednesday.

How arrogant of us all to assume that there is next year...or even next Wednesday. Ride that scoot like ya stole it. Shoot like the buggers are after ya.

Because they are and no one but you cares a wit about the things you were fixin' to do, but you let your sensibilities keep you from it.

My friend & his wife were going to build a home in Belize so they could dive more once both kids graduated college. What will those kids remember of their dad, mom & life decisions?

Same as the rest of us- they may never learn.

I used to ride a lot. ...but my better half asked me to never get a new one cause she is scared to death...she let's me get away with a ton of crap so I will without question respect her wish on this...we just had a good friend seriously injuOUd and his girlfriend killed in a bad accident. he was a phenomenal rider and has been riding for 40 years some idiot was texting crossed the lines and took them on head on.seems no matter how good of a rider you are there are more and more tards out there on the other side of the road. you don't have to worry about yourself as much as you do the other idiots around you. be careful as always and when YOU decide it's time to give up the wheels, it's time to give up the wheels. Best of luck

Porsches. They handle better than any other vehicle I have ever driven. Neutral steering and a bit light on the front end at 150+. Being rear engine, the best part is you stay on the gas through curves and turns and the rear stays glued to the road. The engines... precision and tight. I pulled the fuel injection on the 74 911 in '98 slapped in balanced 50MM PMO on the 3.8 and it makes about 354 HP at the wheels. Stupidly I sold it last year.. Webers on the '71 914 I swapped out a 6 cyl in place of the 2.0l 4cyl. about 300 HP with the 3.4 engine./ Am going through that beast in the shop now rebuilding it .

Porsches. They handle better than any other vehicle I have ever driven. Neutral steering and a bit light on the front end at 150+. Being rear engine, the best part is you stay on the gas through curves and turns and the rear stays glued to the road. The engines... precision and tight. I pulled the fuel injection on the 74 911 in '98 slapped in balanced 50MM PMO on the 3.8 and it makes about 354 HP at the wheels. Stupidly I sold it last year.. Webers on the '71 914 I swapped out a 6 cyl in place of the 2.0l 4cyl. about 300 HP with the 3.4 engine./ Am going through that beast in the shop now rebuilding it .

What (used, as I can't afford new) models are better -- bearing in mind I do not enjoy racing. I'm into comfort.

Which models are best ignored?

On the bike, I've been wondering if I am slipping into doing what I do because I used to do it (which I often attribute to a reduction in neural plasticity which often goes with aging). I haven't ridden much in recent years because Painless died... I've been a zombie -- but NOT the sort they seem to have trouble with out at the Hole in the Wall at Piru on AR-15 day.

So I'm making a conscious effort to get my bum out and go places with it. :)

We'll see how I feel after the summer.

I have not been in the new Porsche market for 40 years. You can never go wrong with a 911. I suppose your pocketbook is the limiting factor. You can get Porsches nearly as nicely decked out as any Mercedes (factory) I would stay away from 924's and 928s. Cayenes have a spotty history with some problems. For 20 - 30 grand you can get a nice used Porsche. You should look around your area.

Of course that being said: You also cant go wrong with Mercedes AMG 63G or BMW 6 or 7 series.

I'll go back to my suggestion.. Mercedes SL 500 or 55. Much more comfort than the Porsche, and it will usually match or out perform it, especially on the street.

I miss my HD at times, but never when I'd be out driving the Merc.

Give one a test drive and see for yourself, and check the dealers for one's that are in the 3-5 year old class, they're typically in sweet shape at 1/2 new price....

SC

Ya' don't sell the motorcycle! You leave it to the most deserving grandkid! If they choose to ride it cool! If they turn it into a coffee table cool too!! If they convert it to cash........... Well you won't need it by then anyway!!!

Howdy,

MX-5 tires(40k) shocks(40k) brakes(50k), oil changes, all at normal prices.

Timing belt at 90K- most good shops can do for $800 or so.

Easy fun car to live with.

And Miata clubs too.

Check windy city Miata club for instance....

Best

CR

Lol

BUT do u have to take the Mercedes to the used expensive dealership to work on it? Or the used Porsche, either?

You guys are inspiring me

There are always MB certified mechanics who can work for less than half what the dealership gets. If you want high performance, encroaching on super car territory, you gotta pay to play. It's worth it though once you're underway, the handling and power are rewards unto themselves, and you can drink a cappucino whilst listening to Willy.....

Check the listings at : www.parkplaceltd.com for some ideas of what's the going rates.....

SC

Haven't read all of the replies, so if this has been said before, sorry.

YOU DON"T GET OLD AND STOP RIDING,

YOU STOP RIDING AND THEN GET OLD.

If it's lack of confidence, take an experienced MSF course, if it's lack of strength to hold it up get a Spyder or a trike. Speaking from over 50 years of riding.

In your 50's? Doesn't that make you the young fella at Harley events? I'm 49 and I'm definitely one of the young guys. On guy I have ridden with a few times is up around 80, maybe over now. Rides around just about all year wearing a pair of shorts, deck shoes and a T-shirt. When it gets cold he wears a pair of shorts, deck shoes and a coat. Looks like Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island.

In your 50's, I can't even understand why you are thinking as far ahead as giving up riding.

sell it when riding it is no longer fun....

I used to do all these things with Painless.

He's gone.

What ur seeing in me is someone who doesn't want to lose things we shared together. Maybe that's sad, but it's real, and I'm so proud of him I very clearly don't mind saying so.

Aunt Jen,

Keep the bike. I am 52, been riding since 12 and the bike goes the day after I do. The wife and I belong to the local ABATE chapter. It is not a club it is an organization that nationwide works for biker's rights. I am not that politically inclined, but it gives us a group to ride with. On the longer rides, I feel much safer in a group. Check around. I bet there is a chapter near you.

Love these "sold it because a friend died"...sorry about your friend. Did you sell your car because someone (drunk, texting, stupid, careless) caused an accident? Would you sell your guns, quit shooting because some nit wit ND'd?

Bet you didn't change your dietary habits even in the face of Type II diabetes and heart disease until it hit you.

But a motorcycle? Well, only thing to do is buy a Porshe...people who drive Porshe's are never gonna die on a bike...no doubt.

I'll take the wind and that last twisty...text away and have another beer.

But a motorcycle? Well, only thing to do is buy a Porshe...people who drive Porshe's are never gonna die on a bike...no doubt.

I'll take the wind and that last twisty...text away and have another beer.

That's good to know, I feel safer now on my Indian :P

Archived