SASS Wire Forum

When to Sell the Bike

Aunt Jen

Hello all

I've wondered, a little bit, when to consider selling the Harley.. I'm not trying to, here; that's not what this is. But it's a smart group with more than a little wisdom, and I thought I'd ask.

I have usually had one in life, some kind if bike.my first one was a little Honda, back in the Washington prsidency. The last few have been big Harley baggers, with interstate freeways calling, Sometimes.going down the road on one, early in the morning, out through the desert, stopping at a distant gas station just past dawn, or riding through the hills, or mountains.

It's a counterpoint to flying and boating. It's adventure-freedom. It has its own state of mind and energy that nothing else matches, just as other things do.

Yet, if I sold it, sometime, that part of life would be forever gone.

Devil's Advocates may say that they're dangerous, though---which is true, also.

The Cslifornia Highway Patrol teaches us that mist fatalities on a bike are young, under 25, who hot dog it and literally run off Tge road, or have head-ons in a city street turning left or whi split traffic----with the majority on alcohol or other drugs which compromised them.

Me? I'm in latter 50s, NEVER drink and drive, never even associate w any one who may do illicit drugs, am a speed-limit. Am a cautious, considered driver, who looks at other drivers very carefully, riding to either purposefully be seen or as if they can't see me, Several years ago, I did the Saddlesore 1000 just to prove myself to myself (1000 verified miles in one day), became an Iron Butt, but I don't normally ride half that a day. And riding it is rejuvenating.

I just try to get there safely, with full knowledge there are accidents that could happen.

I focus on being safe, am older and nit into things that cause most acidents.

One view is enjoy life. I'm cautious.trained (by CHP), of the safer class.

The other Vuew is thank my lucky stars ive had these good times---now have no more in an abundance of that same caution, to avoid any future possibility of a wreck.

There is noreason in me for this question to sell the bike except that same cautution. I'm always older, every year. And at some time, I should sell.

When?

Like other things per my rule: if it sits for 5 years, I'm just storing it, so get rid if it. OR, because I'm older? Or counter-inductive logic (haven't had accident, therefore more likely to)?

I do ride it now and then. I'm experienced...

I'd discuss it w Painless, but I csnt. He's gone.

So I'm asking you all. Like others here, in different things, ideas from Ithers are good to help consider things.

Older dogies are safer due to exper and caution. Yet I value longevity and Tge other million things life offers more (altogether) than biking, in Tge sense that biking accident could prevent the rest. Yet (1) any other thing could prevent the rest, also (2) the most dangerous places in the world are (a) the kitchen and (B) the shower---so eat out and stink? Safer? Time I get to the garage I'm safer already?----and (3) by thinking that the practice in riding a bike makes me sharper at other things:

More alert in general, lubricates the grey cells

Better car driver

Better pilot

More safety cautious.

I am not planning to sell the bike. But I would value thoughts shared: good info to sleep on.

:huh:

like a boat , you will get the best price in the early spring , at least that is what happens here

as to when to pull the saddle for good , that depends on the person

I had to do it after the second round , of going under the knife , on the back ,

can not bring myself , to say , I will never build another , but common sence , says , if I want to keep walking , I don't do it

kinda miss the wind , but , I have others that depend on me , so I have to do what is best for them

CB

Your native caution and good sense tells me you can wheel that machine from here to whenever should you so desire.

You are right, it does lubricate the grey cells; you specifically mentioned good tires, and reading both the lines and between the lines, my gut tells me you are a good and cautious biker, and a credit to the breed.

Sheer chance cannot be predicted -- to paraphrase Von Clausewitz, "All skill is in vain if an angel tinkles in your firelock" -- but in my two decades in the combined emergency services, most unpleasantness with ye Motor Bikes is a mechanical problem: it has to do with the loose nut gripping the handlebars.

(For exceptions to this rule, see Von Clausewitz)

If I were dispensing free advice -- and free advice is often worth the price you paid for it -- I would say "Ride that pony just as long as you possibly can, you'll know when it's time to dismount" -- and for some reason a scene from "The World's Fastest Indian" comes to mind, when a rough looking New Zealand biker gang surrounds the old gent who is going to America with intent to set motorcycle speed record: they hand him a wad of bills and tell him, "Here, mate. Show those Yanks a Kiwi can fly!"

I'm kind of in the same place that you are Jen - I have had motorcycles most of my adult life since I was 16. My latest one, a 1989 Yamaha Venture Royale, has had mechanical issues since last spring and is now in the shop. My wife wants me to sell it saying that it is just too big and heavy for me to safely manage anymore. Don't think I can do it. Maybe I'll consider stripping the bags, trunk and fairing off to reduce the top heaviness and make it easier for me to control.

We moved the bike didn't. It went in for inspection at a place owned by a friend of my wifes and never returned. Seems like she and the kids thought it wasn't safe anymore and she sold it. Female logic the bike wasn't safe for me to ride but the 400hp Vette is fine

Howdy Aunt Jen.

reading your post kinda gives me a little view of your life, thoughts, etc.....and I'll add you to my list of others on the Wire that I would like to meet someday.

Your thoughts on your bike are kinda like mine when I gave up my ATV. I use to ride it on the farm and thru the mountains and ridges here in E.Tennessee.

There was nothing like the freedom of cruising thru the wooded trails on either a warm sunny day in the summer or even a snow covered ground during the winter months.

BUT, I decided at a particular point in my life that it was time to sell it and ifn I ever wanted another, they were easily obtainable.

In in reality, Cowboy Action Shooter quickly filled my time and I actually haven't missed the ATV adventures.

I wish you well in your decisions, whether you keep it or let it go in the future.

Hope we cross trails someday.

..........Widder

Aunt Jen. Keep the bike. I repeat, keep the bike. Ride it regularly. You have the skills, ability and, more importantly, the mindset to ride, and do so safely. When the time does come to sell, you will know it unequivocally.

I'm in the same boat. With the loss of my leg, I have to sell my bike. Yeah, I know - I could trike it and still ride, but it wouldn't be the same (and it would be pretty pricey).

Good luck with your decision and get outp and ride!

We moved the bike didn't. It went in for inspection at a place owned by a friend of my wifes and never returned. Seems like she and the kids thought it wasn't safe anymore and she sold it. Female logic the bike wasn't safe for me to ride but the 400hp Vette is fine

Pretty much the same scenario here. My wife didn't like the 2 wheel sports car, and asked me if I really wouldn't rather have a 'vette. So in 2007 we jumped in with both feet & bought a great used 2006 with 3000 miles on it and just like what I would have ordered from the factory. It has been great! We've been to the Atlantic & the Pacific from Maine to Florida, the corvette museum in Bolling Green, Kentucky, and we don't get wet when it rains. Check into the 'vette scene, it is a blast!

Aunt Jen,

If it's any comfort, I have a relative who purchased a new Harley for their 70th birthday. Really. {Had a bike in their younger years. Sold it to raise a family. Now the kids are all gone so they purchased another one.} Age is a matter of mind, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. As long as you're healthy and can ride safely, do so. The only concern I would have is traffic. I have seriously considered buying another bike now that I live in a less populated area. If l lived in a place with a dense population, I wouldn't consider it. While you may be an excellent rider, you can't avoid the actions of the other person.

Best wishes for many more miles ahead.

:)

I owned a C-6 vette, a 2005. Red. The police used to shadow me for miles, waiting for me to punch it, but I don't drive like that.

But the vette left us stranded twice. "Active handling system.". That's hard to handle when ur passenger is in a wheelchair. Also had to fight to get chevrolet dealer to look at my video of panel when it did it. They couldn't find problem. Had to get lawyer invOlved to make them look at Tge video.

Finally they did, AHC.

But I was so disgusted I sold it.

My neighbor said the car suited me, though. Truth is, it DOES per "flash," but I felt it also drove kinda tense, as it were.

I drive a Prius, now. Very good.

But U R RIGHT, that its ENERGY can replace the bike.

(Really not into OnStar connectivity.)

I bought one of the early Camaros Shen they came out in '10 or there abouts, on condition OnStar was disconnected. They "did." then I learned it was still connected. They refused to actually disconnect it, so I got th to refund.

Prius had some similar nature, but it was easy to give it a minor "frontal lobotomy.". NP

Don't like bugs in car. :). Privacy advocate.

I like modern conveniences, and when I age and need domestic robot or self driving car, I'll use them if I can afford them , but I drag my feet on letting companies listen in on me, record me, daramine me....

Will I ever get a used vette someday to replace a hog?

I might. It's actually a good idea. Especially if I find one without OnStar, and if I find a better dealer.

Lol

Sorry about sharing neg per OnStar and bugging/clouding/data mining systems.

I've had an intermittent "stalker" since the 90s. All manner of such, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth even if it's by a disconnected company. It's made me appreciate respect for my privacy.

Hi Jen,

I can tell that in my experience it's easier to stay a biker than it is to quit and then start back in.

Sold the Harley to pay of then-wife's second college degree, promised self there'd be a later.

18 years later, it's still waiting to happen. Just fell in lust with the new Indian scout, want it

Very much, and mayhaps in a year or two I might go for it.

Having said that, in anticipation of imminent retirement, I bought two new vehicles, 4 guns, and new

camera lenses, while I can splurge. Not sure I want to spend 15K for what might well become a

hanger queen.

That's my real point, after riding 25+ years, 20K miles a year or more, it's easy to remember the hastles

and other aspects, and to find excuses not to start up again. Getting into a convertible (SL500) did

ease the pain!

Shadow Catcher

AJ,

Reading your post it's evident that you are experienced and know how to calculate risks , like flying when you ride you plan and make sure you are minimizing your exposure to danger,

My .02. Keep the bike and ride until you can't hold it up anymore , then go to a trike or Spyder

I'll be 54 in June , been riding since I was 9 with a 20 year break, bought an Indian for my 49th birthday , I ride all summer , I don't ride interstates and stay away from traffic as mush as possible , two lane twistys , an out if the way pub fir lunch etc

When I fly I don't do things I would have done in my 20s or 30s seems you push the envelop a bit less or tempt fate

However life is meant to be lived and I'll be damned if I'll spend days sitting worrying about when the reaper may sneak up on me.

Stay in the wind, stay in air , stay on the water.

" life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but to slide in sideways totally beat up screaming holy $/it what a ride"!!

I'm not the one to ask because I've never owned one, like34d one or ridden one by myself.

But:

I'm a dyed in the wool backpacker. I have over $1000 worth of hiking stuff in the closet waiting for the miracle to happen and the left knee's meniscus to heal.

Miracles happen.

If you feel safe and enjoy it, keep it.

I might. It's actually a good idea. Especially if I find one without OnStar, and if I find a better dealer.

Howdy AJ. OnStar only works if you subscribe (or at least that's the way it used to be). There is one caveat. In a wreck where the airbags go off, it'll send out a 911 signal. Sort of like being able to call 911 even if you don't have service on that cell phone.

That OnStar distress call saved my mother's life when she blacked out and totalled her Caddy.

Good luck with your decision!

Well it boils down to what ever you feel like, now I will tell you my side of it, keep the bike, if you enjoy riding it once in awhile, keep it then, it is good to get out on the open road and clear your head, now I have 2 of them and I ride both of them once in awhile just to put some miles on them, I don't ride as often as I used to when I was younger, if I was your age being you said late 50's I would keep it, now that I'm in late 60's I still like to ride them, granted not as much as I used to but still like the feel of the open road. My girl friend is trying to get me to trade both in for a 3 wheeler and I keep saying no, maybe someday when I can not move as good or feel comfortable holding up the 2 wheeler then I will, I have a softail and a road king with way to much money in both of them to trade right now.

I say keep the bike and clear your head on the open road, it does wonders when you are feeling low or what ever ails you.

All for now JD Trampas

As long as you feel physically and mentally comfortable on the bike, keep it. You are still young and in makes no sense to stop doing something that you enjoy doing. You will know when it is time to give it up.

Howdy AJ. OnStar only works if you subscribe (or at least that's the way it used to be). There is one caveat. In a wreck where the airbags go off, it'll send out a 911 signal. Sort of like being able to call 911 even if you don't have service on that cell phone.

That OnStar distress call saved my mother's life when she blacked out and totalled her Caddy.

Good luck with your decision!

I'm soooooo glad ur mother is okay. :)

But the way it works is u can't avail yourself of most of it's services, if u don't subscribe. But as ive been tood. Iver tome. the system still works for the other end.

Others can have it in their car if they wish. Bit I don't prefer it.

Lol !! :)

I rode to a distant dealership just now, responded on my phone real well----rough draft, not ready to post, and my phone shifted to Desktop view and it disappeared.!!

So I did another one, talking about Joe the cosmos musta not wanted u to hear that, then THAT ONE also disappeared when I hit some mysteriulois key and again switched to desk top mode!!!

So both disappeared.

Just imagine the witticisms! Lol.

OnStar problems

Feds listening in

http://news.cnet.com/Court-to-FBI-No-spying-on-in-car-computers/2100-1029_3-5109435.html

OnStar can listen

http://www.examiner.com/article/onstar-watching-over-you-or-watching-you

On and on. Decorum suggests privacy.... But more folks are thinking privacy is old news.

And it's not just OnStar. I used to work in the NSA---not on anything like this, but I guess my ears perk up when something hits the news. MOST things today are similar: if u don't subscribe, u can't use service. But it may be operable anyway from the other end.

Lol. When I argued with Chevy about not DC the OnStar in that Camaro? I worked fm into a corner, real well. I even told them how to neutralize the OnStar in that particular model: unplug the radio antenna and mike. (I couldn't get to it, but they could.)."And there should be an off switch," I told em

"everybody wants an off switch!" they told me,

"Then PUT ONE IN!" I told 'em back.

"but," the manager said, "we have contracts..."

Lol. It was frankly comical.

Guess I should add, per this line---have I hijacked my own thread ?

I do NOT do illegal things, car or otherwise. Same as inside my house. I don't care if my curtains are open sometimes, but sometimes I'd like to close them---and what I font want is my homebuilder to say that he's got listening devices in my home to help me, just in case I fall.

Just me

I was a first baseman for a softball league for 30 some years. I could catch almost anything thrown in my direction. Base running I could get an extra base and be safe by a foot.

The last few years I'm blaming the trifocals for missing too many catches. And I'm convinced that they moved the bases further apart is what is getting me called out. Ended up on the bench as the Coach players those young pups. It's time for me to retire from softball.

You'll know when it's time to sell if family hasn't comitted you before then. :)

I never owned one, but my nearly 70 year old female cousin loves her "trike". Takes long road trips on it alone.

Do what you want, but don't use age as an excuse, I think....

One of a couple reasons my wife isn't driving a really nice new chevy pickup is because of onstar.

Another is, well... I bleed blue.

All I can say about bikes, is that in my experience on bikes and on things designed to leave the ground... It's not if you wreck, but when.

I've reached a point in life that I can't afford time off after a bike wreck. That, and the odd habit of my brain to shut off when I'm given something with a hand throttle, keeps me on four wheels.

Ultimately, it's up to you.

Can you never get on a bike again and be happy? If you can't answer yes, you probably ought to keep it.

Howdy and skipping on past skip skip skip.

A good time is before you mess up one or both wrists.

Before you have multiple back surgeries.

Before you leave a substantial amount of skin on pavement.

And especially when you get a funny feeling like its time to quit.

Are you having that feeling?

Maybe get a sports car, they be fun too.

Best

CR

All good ideas.

I rode today, and well. I'll consider such things. You all are doing great.

Sports car?

I do enjoy the Prius. Usually 50.2 mpg. Easy to drive. I'd like an SUV to take the dirt road at the range,,to see over other cars or pull a boat. Flash? I don't seem to have a use...but if it looks good. See: I drive like o fly: set the appropriate speed and then navigate, listen to radio, wait. I'm not sure why value a car that will go 3X the speed limit---and just my luck, if I got another, that's when gas prices would rise again. That 50.2 is hard to beat. I pay so little to travel.

Im not sure about a sports car.

Not sure about much, these days, and maybe that's the problem.

In response to the query, I fo not have the feeling I'm unsafe. I've just had SO MUCH safety training over Tge decades, that caution, and some worry, are part of my mix. I do have a worry circuit. :)

I knew it was time to sell my bike when I almost had 2 wrecks with my wife on the back because I was daydreaming and lost my concentration. Also I worried If my hip would give out holding the

bike up at a stop with my wife on. When I rode by myself I liked to ride at a spirted pace on the back roads and my concentration was focused on the road but when I rode 2 up I slowed down

and had too much time to gawk around and think about things. I hope you know when it is time to stop riding before something happens to make you stop riding. A person has to know his

limitations and accept them with grace. Do not let peer pressure prevent you from making an informed decision that is right for you. Until then keep the rubber side down.

Yea, stuff like that is on my mind. When. Sometime, sure---before an accident.

But when?

Be extra cautious in all things, and I'd be stuck at home---and HOME is the most dsngeous place. Most accidents at home.... :)

Don't want to over do it. But, yes. I find I sm worrying about it. I feel good, capable. It's just theoretical concern, looking ahead at aging.

When is the best time.

I will certainly play thus question through myind this summer, talk to other bikers about it'

As long as you feel physically and mentally comfortable on the bike, keep it. You are still young and in makes no sense to stop doing something that you enjoy doing. You will know when it is time to give it up.

+1 ... this is exactly how I feel about it. I just spruced up my 650 lb. VS1400 for the coming sunny days. I'll be riding until I physically or mentally can't do it. I am about your age as well. Ride safe!

Archived