SASS Wire Forum

The Bullet Ban Effort Widens

For anyone who thought that ATF was surrendering on the 5.56 ban just because people spoke in opposition, think again:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/12/atf-raises-new-concerns-about-ar-15-ammo/?intcmp=latestnews

"In a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, ATF Director B. Todd Jones said all types of the 5.56 military-style ammo used by shooters pose a threat to police as more people buy the AR-15-style pistols.

"Any 5.56 round" is "a challenge for officer safety," he said. Jones asked lawmakers to help in a review of a 1986 bill written to protect police from so-called "cop killer" rounds that largely exempted rifle ammo like the 5.56 because it has been used by target shooters, not criminals.

His agency's move to ban the 5.56 M855 version was condemned by the National Rifle Association and majorities in the House and Senate and as a result was pulled back though not abandoned."

Here we go.

LL

Please. It isn't going to go anywhere ( at least for a couple years ). The fight will always continue... All this does is promote panic buying.

They would probably go after the pistol configuration of such weapons first.

GG

The anti American vermin running our beloved country will NOT stop at an attempt to disarm us, it's standing in the way of thier agenda, They will continue to try and ban ammo stay vigilant

Please. It isn't going to go anywhere ( at least for a couple years ). The fight will always continue... All this does is promote panic buying.

They would probably go after the pistol configuration of such weapons first.

GG

My thought was not that they would turn to a gun ban, but rather, having seen that they lacked the regulatory authority to ban the green tips, they would go back and try to get that authority broadened. When they ask Congress "to work with them" and revisit the original "armor piercing" legislation, they are most probably looking for support for a broader limitation, couched as an attempt to protect LEOs. I would expect an argument that much has changed since the 1980's; that there are now pistols available that fire this type of ammunition (5.56 and .223); and that as a result, and claiming that LEOs are now in danger from ammo fired from these weapons, that ALL 5.56 and .223 should be banned. If the original intent was to ban ammo that could be fired from concealable pistols, the argument could certainly be extended to these cartridges; the result would effectively deny the ammo to rifle shooters as well as all others.

And these concerns transcend any feared "panic buying"; we MUST anticipate the next move, and act to block it before it is foisted upon all of us.

LL

GG & Loophole LaRue , both have good points......

Guess I'll have to stray straddle the fence a tad longer on this one. :unsure:

Any bets the Feds will "find" an AR-15 involved in the police shootings out in Ferguson and more likely, an AR-15 using Green Tip Ammo. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they don't already have "the weapon" on a plane from DC to Missouri as I type this so that that weapon can be found by local police with the person who pulled the trigger (who will die in a gun battle with the police).

My thought was not that they would turn to a gun ban, but rather, having seen that they lacked the regulatory authority to ban the green tips, they would go back and try to get that authority broadened. When they ask Congress "to work with them" and revisit the original "armor piercing" legislation, they are most probably looking for support for a broader limitation, couched as an attempt to protect LEOs. I would expect an argument that much has changed since the 1980's; that there are now pistols available that fire this type of ammunition (5.56 and .223); and that as a result, and claiming that LEOs are now in danger from ammo fired from these weapons, that ALL 5.56 and .223 should be banned. If the original intent was to ban ammo that could be fired from concealable pistols, the argument could certainly be extended to these cartridges; the result would effectively deny the ammo to rifle shooters as well as all others.

And these concerns transcend any feared "panic buying"; we MUST anticipate the next move, and act to block it before it is foisted upon all of us.

LL

I have always been at the forefront of vigilance. This news story is nothing new. There are always efforts from the anti-2nd Amendment folks to undermine our freedom. Don't panic folks... I can see another hording seasion coming on.... Yay....

Happy ammo shopping....

Maybe this thread ahould go to the Team SASS forum....

GG

This is my second or third time atf has done this with rifle ammo being used in a pistol that will go thru solid steel and kill police oficers. The first time there was no pistol yet and in a short time someone in a small company made one.

When the AR was being used by all services atf tried again and the pistol worked but no cops were killed yet and one of the large groups fighting for the ammo were cops, sheriffs and the like so now Im almost sure this latest pusher of the ban has been nugded by bo.

Do buy, hoard,put away, buy at least 200 a week or month until you have 1000 minimum put away, everyone or as much as you can afford. Plenty of other types of ammo available, if you reload thats better. If you dont, start now, save money its enjoyable, half the price of ammo is the brass case, have fun shoot more, find a 200 yard range.

This is my second or third time atf has done this with rifle ammo being used in a pistol that will go thru solid steel and kill police oficers. The first time there was no pistol yet and in a short time someone in a small company made one.

When the AR was being used by all services atf tried again and the pistol worked but no cops were killed yet and one of the large groups fighting for the ammo were cops, sheriffs and the like so now Im almost sure this latest pusher of the ban has been nugded by bo.

Do buy, hoard,put away, buy at least 200 a week or month until you have 1000 minimum put away, everyone or as much as you can afford. Plenty of other types of ammo available, if you reload thats better. If you dont, start now, save money its enjoyable, half the price of ammo is the brass case, have fun shoot more, find a 200 yard range.

Yup - 100%

He promised to do everything he can to enact gun control measures.

Sorry I don't agree with the hoarding - it only floods the market with orders delaying ammo for folks who like to shoot alot. Having a minumum of 1000 rounds is good advice....

Hey, to each his own I reckon.

I DO agree with reloading...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

ammo hoarding helps my stock holdings in Cabelas, Olin(who makes Winchester ammo) and others go up, and helps the stocks of the gun manufacturers and also helps the economy and brings inflation which is what the federal reserve wants and can't get with low oil prices due to a rising dollar. If they ere really intent on doing it they would do it and not give warning.

ammo hoarding helps my stock holdings in Cabelas, Olin(who makes Winchester ammo) and others go up, and helps the stocks of the gun manufacturers and also helps the economy and brings inflation which is what the federal reserve wants and can't get with low oil prices due to a rising dollar. If they ere really intent on doing it they would do it and not give warning

well...do as you need... ;)

I'll stick with this POV...

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/08/should-you-be-stockpiling-ammo/#axzz3UJfEFx7O

well...do as you need... ;)

I'll stick with this POV...

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/08/should-you-be-stockpiling-ammo/#axzz3UJfEFx7O

+1 ;)

The "Anti Second Amendment" liberals got shot down on gun bans. Now they are going after ammo. If they successfully ban one caliber, they will go after another. If they fail with ammo bans, they will come at us from another angle.

Stay vigilant and Support the NRA and other organizations that fight for our rights. All of our rights.

The "Anti Second Amendment" liberals got shot down on gun bans. Now they are going after ammo. If they successfully ban one caliber, they will go after another. If they fail with ammo bans, they will come at us from another angle.

Stay vigilant and Support the NRA and other organizations that fight for our rights. All of our rights.

Roger that!

Archived