SASS Wire Forum

Magnificent Seven

Aunt Jen

Okay. Someone mentioned this movie the other day, and NOW I am watching it.

The three humble Mexican fellows approached Yul Brynner, and I noticed in their discourse that only the MEN are expected to fight ????

Phewey!

I'd shoot from a window.

In my opinion it's a great movie. Aunt Jen you have to understand these are Mexican women of the Victorian age. They are not liberated. Their place is in the home and at that time and place that was truly a full time job. Cooking baking sewing all their clothes taking care of a bunch of kids but then it was a Hollywood western Taken from "Seven Sumari" From Japan where women had even fewer rights. The depiction of women being defenseless victims was probably correct. The one and only time Hollywood has ever been historically correct. If made today the Women would probably outfight the men.

It's a soundtrack with a movie attached. The music makes the movie. The movie without Elmer Bernstein's music is VERY slow.

But it's one of my all time favorites.

In my opinion it's a great movie. Aunt Jen you have to understand these are Mexican women of the Victorian age. They are not liberated. Their place is in the home and at that time and place that was truly a full time job. Cooking baking sewing all their clothes taking care of a bunch of kids but then it was a Hollywood western Taken from "Seven Sumari" From Japan where women had even fewer rights. The depiction of women being defenseless victims was probably correct. The one and only time Hollywood has ever been historically correct. If made today the Women would probably outfight the men.

+1 from first word to last.

It's a soundtrack with a movie attached. The music makes the movie. The movie without Elmer Bernstein's music is VERY slow.

But it's one of my all time favorites.

+1 on the music ..

Sigh. What ever happened to the good old days when women stayed in the kitchen?

You know what I like about it the most?

Not "men" or "women," but these guys, all of whom seem to have an iffy past, have decided to be honorable and use their skills to help people who need it---not for money, not really (as it seems to me) for heroics, but to just fo the right thing.

THAT, to me, is heroic.

The James Coburn character is my favorite.

I mean Yul is undeniably great (to me), and Steve McQueen, but James has got it.

I'm always torn. Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson. If I could flip a three sided coin... If I absolutely had to choose though, probably Bronson. I think. Maybe.

I'd shoot from a window.

Sigh. What ever happened to the good old days when women stayed in the kitchen?

That's why there is a window in the kitchen. For the women to shoot out of. ;)

Of course! Someone finally understands!

Women will stay in the kitchen when there is a good window, guns, ammo, chocolate in the fridge, dietetic ice-cream in the freezer, soap operas on TC, zombies outside, and Tom Selleck inside. :)

I was never a big Yul fan, but I think he was pretty good in this movie. McQueen, the only stinker I can think of him being in was the Reiver's (sp). Coburn was good in just about any kind of movie. I still don't know how Robert Vaughn ever made it in any kind of production. I never much cared for the sequels to this movie.

HA! The reason this film works is......Eli Wallach!

"If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep."

Eli got deep into this role; he learned to ride with his band of Mexican outriders (including Pedro Armendariz, Jr,, whose father was one of the "3 Godfathers" with John Wayne, and also appeared in "Fort Apache"), who became fiercely loyal to him during the entire filming.

A much more complete character than any of the "good guys", and so much more fun to listen to!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ar5OdHtQrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqBJP4sh3c0

LL

place is in the home and at that time and place that was truly a full time job. Cooking baking sewing all their clothes taking care of a bunch of kids but then it was a Hollywood western Taken from "Seven Sumari" From Japan where women had even fewer rights.

And all the men had to do was fight, which is mostly long periods of keeping your head down interspersed with brief moments of adrenalin assisted terror.

AH-HA!

In the last fight, I saw a woman villager attack with a shovel a bad guy! I'm so pleased.

Was she hanging out the kitchen window and hit him in the head with a shovel as he was going by? :D :D :D

Of course! Someone finally understands!

Women will stay in the kitchen when there is a good window, guns, ammo, chocolate in the fridge, dietetic ice-cream in the freezer, soap operas on TC, zombies outside, and Tom Selleck inside. :)

Aunt Jen, dear heart, today started out as "One of Those Days" but reading yours above gave me a good old fashioned horse laugh and broke the evil spell! Thank you, dear heart, and by the way you are exactly right -- and my wife is nodding an enthusiastic agreement!

(I am trying to convince her that although I can get chocolate and ice cream at the store, Tom Selleck may be a bit more difficult to obtain!)

YUL WENT DOWNHILL AFTER "THE KING AND I"

Was she hanging out the kitchen window and hit him in the head with a shovel as he was going by? :D :D :D

NO! Okay---get this---it was out in the actual street!!

A mistake in editing, I'm sure?

Or James Coburn left her behind in Tge kitchen... :)

Aunt Jen, dear heart, today started out as "One of Those Days" but reading yours above gave me a good old fashioned horse laugh and broke the evil spell! Thank you, dear heart, and by the way you are exactly right -- and my wife is nodding an enthusiastic agreement!

(I am trying to convince her that although I can get chocolate and ice cream at the store, Tom Selleck may be a bit more difficult to obtain!)

:)

:)

Oh, Well, in most cases, I think you could replace Tom Selleck with a new credit card.

It would break the while stay-in-the-kitchhen thing, but shell be happy.

Ain't it fun how you can watch a movie over and over, and not see something, and then someone mentions it, and it jumps out and slaps you - HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THAT????

I knew he was wearing a red shirt, but did you notice it was a red silk dress shirt, with ruffles down the front? And did you notice the size of that silver horn on his saddle? I've seen bongo drums that weren't that big.

Interview with Wallach, some years back, and he said that both of those were his idea. A criminal chieftain like that would spend his money on flashy stuff like that, and then wear that same silk shirt every day for six months without changing it.

Wonder what would happen, in real life, if when the banditos rode in, instead of talking, Chris just shot Calvera out of the saddle, and then they opened up on the rest.

Ain't it fun how you can watch a movie over and over, and not see something, and then someone mentions it, and it jumps out and slaps you - HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THAT????

I knew he was wearing a red shirt, but did you notice it was a red silk dress shirt, with ruffles down the front? And did you notice the size of that silver horn on his saddle? I've seen bongo drums that weren't that big.

Interview with Wallach, some years back, and he said that both of those were his idea. A criminal chieftain like that would spend his money on flashy stuff like that, and then wear that same silk shirt every day for six months without changing it.

Wonder what would happen, in real life, if when the banditos rode in, instead of talking, Chris just shot Calvera out of the saddle, and then they opened up on the rest.

It would have been a real short movie

Yeah, but then there wouldn't have been the great movie plot that it was! ^_^ As far as Yul not being a typical cowboy/gunfighter, remember that "Harry" called him a Cajun. In another movie, he played a French-something-or-other gunfighter, who was eventually killed. There were enough strange individuals in the Old West, that Bryner's character Chris is quite believable. The two guys I thought were great were "Vin" and "Riley". Steve McQueen was just "the coolest".(I was a senior in high school then.) As for Charles Bronson's "Riley", he was pretty cool, too! His character was a mixed heritage back when that wasn't done much, except as "banditos". As Riley said, "Irish on one side, Mexican on the other, and me in the middle!" While it may have been a throw-away line, it had a pretty good significance.

The casting in the Magnificant Seven was interesting: You had a Eurasian playing a Cajun, a peck's-bad-boy (McQueen), a Pennsylvania Polish coal miner playing a Irish-Mexican, a German playing a Mexican, and, the greatest...a Jewish boy playing the consumate Mexican bandito jefe!

And, yes, one of the village women did hit one of Caldera's men with a shovel, right out in the middle of the street!

Oh, one other thing. When Chris asked his "shotgun guard" his name after the ride up to boot hill, McQueen's character said, "Make it Vin." But was that the character's real name? Since he survived the gunfight, might he not have gone on to becoming a bounty hunter, with a cut-down Winchester...named Josh Randall? Or maybe Randall did his bounty hunting before the Magnificent Seven. ;)

"Ride on!"

You know what I like about it the most?

Not "men" or "women," but these guys, all of whom seem to have an iffy past, have decided to be honorable and use their skills to help people who need it---not for money, not really (as it seems to me) for heroics, but to just fo the right thing.

THAT, to me, is heroic.

Jen, quick, get 6 woman and come save me. There is a bad man that wants to take money from me on April 15th

Archived