SASS Wire Forum

Theory on Why Reloading is Popular

Aunt Jen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one of the freaky ones that likes to load and I even like to cast. Maybe it's because folks leave me alone while I do it.

:) :). :)

Well,,sometimes brass is just brass.

"Sometimes a train going into a tunnel is just a train going into a tunnel." Alfred Hitchcock

OK, OK, I made up the quote. But somebody had to do it. :)

If I had lots of dough, I mean lots and lots I would buy factory ammo and travel the country shooting at SASS clubs! ;)

Let's see reloading is better than…washing clothes, doing dishes, snowblowing, dealing with stupid people, going to funerals…you get the drift!

After 60 plus years of reloading about every kind and type of Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun ammo that exists, I guess you could say the "Glamour" just isn't the same anymore. However, It has allowed me to shoot huge volumes of ammo that I never would have ever been able to afford, if not for reloading. I don't know and can't even imagine the numbers of rifle and Pistol ammo that I have loaded and consumed, but it is a staggering amount. I do know that I have re-loaded over 1/2 million shot shells, feeding a fierce Skeet Shooting obsession, that still exists.

Being able to tailor your ammo to your particular want's and needs, is very important in competition shooting. This enables you to do your very best in the shooting games, as it provides you with total trust in your ammo, which lets you concentrate on the shooting and not ever worrying about ammo performance.

Also as stated above, there is a lot of satisfaction in producing exceptionally good ammo, and shooting that which you have created yourself.

Re-loading has many facets. You can produce what you cannot buy, you can produce ammo far cheaper than it would cost to purchase, it can be fun, and it can be work, it can be like another hobby, it can be therapeutic, under certain conditions it can provide quality time with a Son or Daughter, and always, provides self satisfaction.

RBK

Reloading is BORING !

But every time I pull the lever I'm a saving 40 cents, $40 a match. Adds up to money for necessities like a pistol or another rifle. :)

Then you run out of primers with plenty of brass, powder and bullets left so you buy more.

Then you run out of bullets with plenty of primers, brass, powder and bullets left so you buy more.

Then you run out of bullets with plenty of...

One big thing about reloading is being able to tailor the load to the gun to get better (and better) accuracy.

Since starting to reload, funny thing is that no gun purchased since then shoots bad or even just average.

I'm a writer, and when people ask me if I enjoy writing I say, "No, but I enjoy having written." Finishing a novel or short story is gratifying.

I feel kind of the same way about reloading. Two or three coffee cans full of cartridges provides satisfaction. It's not something I want to do, but when I'm done, I'm glad I did it.

I figure guns, reloading and working on guns are just parts of the total. I have bought guns that needed to be worked on just because they needed worked on. I have guns that there is no commercial ammo available and reloading is the only way to shoot them.

I tinker, therefore, I reload.

I started reloadinf in 1986 when I hunted with a .30-40 Krag that I wanted to download and had the then-new Ruger .32 Mag that I wanted to supercharge.

I have loaded since then on single-stage presses while shooting competition of various types for twenty years.

Now I enjoy loading the .32-20 and .38-40 in smokeless and bp loads for original Winchesters. Sometimes I believe that I am a reloader who has to shoot to keep reloading.

I started several decades ago in ak reloading 44 mag for a Blackhawk and later the Redhawk, 9mm for my Taurus 99 my ex wife's 38 S&W. Then when my dad found out he sent me a three hole Lee turret it work for the amount we plonked later he sent me the four hole conversion setup with the auto index. The extra hole was handy for the FCD. The auto index work well in the beginning and as the plastic parts wore the replacements ones just were not up to the quality to allow it to work without constant attention. Still had to hand prime for speed using the Lee hand primer. I tried the bulk primer from Lee but like must of the addons it was cheap plastic and required constant attention, never could figure why Lee did use a setup like rcbs using tubes like dillon. Finally I heard a pop and got a dillon 550 just got a second one still buying accessories to match my first im gonna have a lg primer 550 and a sm primer 550, a rcbs rock Chucker and a MEC 650 shotshell press. Once the bench toolbox has Ben setup I'll add the case feeders to the 550s and a ergo handle and the computer monitor that will switch between the two. Once I get it set up like I want I think I'll enjoy it again and never need ammo I've got some stuff to load twice a week for several hours for many weeks I hope to have the replacement stuff in before I run out. I needto reload for 38-55 first but that's a single stage load process I got a few hundred 38wcf in smokeless and twice as many in bp that need to be shot, 45 colt I think I have several hundred rounds to use up, I got several 38 bp loads waiting for me to shoot in frontiersman. I've a case and half of bp shotshells about half a case of smokeless shot shells but I have close to three quarters a case of game she'll as backup. 45acp I think I'm sitting fine for what im using them fro which is protection practice I'll load more for WBAS and 45 colt if I deside to shoot WBAS again. I need to find mt comp 45 first lost it in the house. Don't you hate it when you secure items and you do such a swell job you can't get to it.

I like having something productive to do related to shooting when I can't get out and shoot.

Hi Grizz'!

100% agree!

In addition it's part of the shooting process especially for an old BP shooter....

It's also fun to solve the various equations involving so many variables and ultimately find the Graal!

(I'm still searching...LOL)

Jef

"Sometimes a train going into a tunnel is just a train going into a tunnel." Alfred Hitchcock

OK, OK, I made up the quote. But somebody had to do it. :)

Ah! :) lol! Ah, oh!

My goodness, Sir, whatever are you saying?

Aunt Jen thinks, which is always hard. Could it ... ? No. Seems almost like it could be familiar.

I reload so I can shoot cheaper/better ammo. Other than that I dread it. I'd rather be doing ANYTHING else. If I could dropped my guns off at a "cleaners" and pick them up later, for a decent price, I would. If I could buy my ammo for $4.50 a box, I would.

Ah! :) lol! Ah, oh!

My goodness, Sir, whatever are you saying?

Aunt Jen thinks, which is always hard. Could it ... ? No. Seems almost like it could be familiar.

OK, OK! Fools go where wise men fear to tread.

Which is your favorite round to reload, the .38 short colt, or the .45 long colt?

B Slim

Moderator, this is meant in fun, in response to my reading of the original post and subsequent comments. Please delete if found offensive or inapropriate.

OK, OK! Fools go where wise men fear to tread.

Which is your favorite round to reload, the .38 short colt, or the .45 long colt?

B Slim

Moderator, this is meant in fun, in response to my reading of the original post and subsequent comments. Please delete if found offensive or inapropriate.

Some have missed the innuendo in the OP, some have not ;) It's like two conversations at once :wacko:

CR

I reload so I can shoot cheaper/better ammo. Other than that I dread it. I'd rather be doing ANYTHING else. If I could dropped my guns off at a "cleaners" and pick them up later, for a decent price, I would. If I could buy my ammo for $4.50 a box, I would.

Drop your guns off at the cleaners? Now there's a thought. Maybe someone should start a gun cleaning business

Drop your guns off at the cleaners? Now there's a thought. Maybe someone should start a gun cleaning business

My daughter has considered that. She cleans ours with support from me. Understands a Ruger better than me too!

Aunt Jen, I GOT what you were GETTING right off...and that's funny. Ah, what lives in the deep recesses of our minds....is similar...thank goodness for otherwise we would not exist.

Humans are much like geese flying in a V pattern. Neither the humans (most) or the geese give a thought to what I call "flock behavior." Changing fashions are an excellent example. A glance at old photos can reveal one of the "flock behaviors" of the era. Nobody would confuse a photo from the 40s with one from the 60s or 80's. The flock was following a different lead goose...but nobody knows who the goose is and are even less aware they're following this unknown goose. All they see is a similar goose nearby. Marketing strategists make a living attempting to affect the direction of the flight. You won't find many who would name McDonalds as having the best burger, but they sure sell a bunch! :)

I really like to reload.I get up at 5:30 fix me a cup of coffee drink it and then go reload.I will load 500 38s or 250 shot shells. Clean up and go get me some more coffee.I even load C45 sometime and don't have a 45.I play with BP sometime.I enjoy reloading.

Aunt Jen, I GOT what you were GETTING right off...and that's funny. Ah, what lives in the deep recesses of our minds....is similar...thank goodness for otherwise we would not exist.

Humans are much like geese flying in a V pattern. Neither the humans (most) or the geese give a thought to what I call "flock behavior." Changing fashions are an excellent example. A glance at old photos can reveal one of the "flock behaviors" of the era. Nobody would confuse a photo from the 40s with one from the 60s or 80's. The flock was following a different lead goose...but nobody knows who the goose is and are even less aware they're following this unknown goose. All they see is a similar goose nearby. Marketing strategists make a living attempting to affect the direction of the flight. You won't find many who would name McDonalds as having the best burger, but they sure sell a bunch! :)

That's heavy, I guess.

I think I sent you this thought in a PM... There are two basic types of reloaders: "those that reload to shoot... and those that shoot to reload..."

Archived