SASS Wire Forum

Theory on Why Reloading is Popular

Aunt Jen

I know:

It's cheaper than buying new.

You can design your own loads/recoil.

It's meditative....

But I— I am thinking— No, I'm wondering— No, SUSPECTING, that there is more to it than that. I mean, I see my Dillon RL550B in operation, the shells and dyes, and I GET it, I think. Which is a problem, becauseI am not sure I should say.

Maybe it's just leftover influence of ancient influence—and I mean years ago—of a former Psych. professor of Freudian lean.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to my reloading sessions. Peaceful time. My daughter does most of it while I'm working on guns or equipment. Her tunes on, just hanging out together.

I usually load late at night when the house is quiet.

I put on my favorite music and immerse myself in my hobby.

Keeps me sane.

--Dawg

I reload because I have to!!! no pleasure there for me!!!

Keeps me sane.

--Dawg

Yep, listen to some Pink Floyd, Eagles, The Elders and load 'em up.

Wife is finally starting to show some interest. Wants me to begin teaching her how to reload.

Miracles never cease.

Reload? I get a lot of satisfaction out of shooting what I create. From bullet to cartridge. I'd like to build my own firearms, too, if ....

A feeling of self-reliance and 100% accountability.

Plus, I get to shoot about 3x as much as if I bought ammo.

Started when I was just beginning shooting at age 11. My dad brought home a Lee Loader (the pound-em-in, pound-em-out type). He had just bought a Remington 788 in .222 a few weeks before. He said, "If you and I both are going to be shooting this rifle - you had better reload for it!" I didn't know ANYONE who could reload cartridges. But I could read and follow directions. So, I did. HE never bought any more factory shells.

Good luck, GJ

lost maybe,,,,, not won for sure,,,,

I load at night after work. It takes my mind off the stresses of the job, and allows me to relax. Always run music or cowboy movies in the background.

I reload because I have to!!! no pleasure there for me!!!

Yup, rather be shooting.

Reloading is better than doing the dishes ... I guess.

But I still do them too.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Casting is also the Front End of my Reloading Process.

* Allows me to cast Pb bullets & lube them for many calibers & weights that are non existent on the retail market ... for smokeless and black powder reloads

Keeps me sane.

--Dawg

I ain't exactly sure it's workin' :P

I am with GJ....i mean don't get me wrong, I enjoy relaxing at my reloading bench enjoying the hobby, experimenting with different things etc, but the best part for me is the fact that I get to shoot SOOOO much more than if I had to buy the rounds. Simply put, if I had buy the amount of rounds I've fired in this sport and others, shooting would no longer be a hobby, or at best, a "fair weather" hobby because I would likely be doing 3 cowboy matches a year, if that, not to mention the other shooting sports I do.

In the fall when I.started CAS...

I bought 1000 rounds of 38 special Winchester cowboy bullets..

I shot them in my rifle and pistols..

I saw how fast I was going thru my ammo... Geesh..

That winter I ordered my Dillon 550.. And All the other stuff I needed from Dillon..

Ordered some Starline brass, bought powder, primers and lead..

I'm still reloading some of my original Winchester brass..

Everything paid for itself in my first year of shooting..

Can't really say it's fun reloadin anymore.. Relaxing?? Kinda I reckon..

But a requirement for my chosen sport..

Rance

Thinkin it's one heck of a fun sport..

Oh yeah.. If I hadn't started reloading..

I wouldn't have got to meet a new family of friends... :)

Aunt Jen,

What your alluding to is similar to what old school photographers go through, with shooting film. We load a film camera, often we develop our own film, then print our own images, and even mount and frame them for a display. As your amount of money increases you may elect to have some of this done by others, or time and other circumstances may compel you to to that.

Others want to own the process from womb to tomb.

There is a meditative aspect to parts of it, there is ownership of the outcome for the effort made, and there is the satisfaction of doing things with your hands and mind, for your own reasons.

For some the process of rolling your own film, and processing your own images allows for more creative control, and reliable execution that meets your personal standards of quality. For those and others the fact that you do it yourself allows three times the shooting, and thus three times the opportunities to do the thing you enjoy.

For me, being in the wet darkroom, and creating a fine art print, with appropriate music playing is no different then being at the reloading press cranking out precision rifle loads, or .45 Colt loads. They accomplish the same things mentioned above, including giving me the quality ammo I want at prices I can afford.

I work to Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, Enya, Kitaro, and a host of Nuevo Flamenco artists. Mostly instrumentals, as human voices tend to distract whilst thinking about what you're doing.

Att imes making a picture takes too much effort, as does re-loading. At those times I know my work performance won't be up to snuff, so I don't do it. If I can't do it with enjoyment, I won't do it.

Shadow Catcher

lost maybe,,,,, not won for sure,,,,

I've seen many lost at EOT due to the loading issues. High primers, over diameter rounds that won't chamber, squib loads and old brass that splits and locks up a rifle. Dreams of glory disappear with one bad round.

It helps me bring a measure of order into a disordered universe.

I dunno about the whole Freudian reference. I'm pretty sure the reason behind my reloading has nothing to do with my mother!

I reload for all of the reasons above. . . but mainly because I like to make stuff. I enjoy working with my hands and making ammo is a skill fewer and fewer have these days.

I know:

It's cheaper than buying new.

You can design your own loads/recoil.

It's meditative....

But I— I am thinking— No, I'm wondering— No, SUSPECTING, that there is more to it than that. I mean, I see my Dillon RL550B in operation, the shells and dyes, and I GET it, I think. Which is a problem, becauseI am not sure I should say.

Maybe it's just leftover influence of ancient influence—and I mean years ago—of a former Psych. professor of Freudian lean.

I keep reading the last 2 sentences, and think most are missing what she is implying.

I might be wrong, as I usually am, but.........

B Slim

Started about 40 years ago as a skinny kid. Still have the original green single stage, yes I still use it. Started as a hobby, then for rifle accuracy, now its due to retail cost of factory made and plus I like to shoot lots! Thank you Mr. Dillon!.

I keep reading the last 2 sentences, and think most are missing what she is implying.

I might be wrong, as I usually am, but.........

B Slim

I was thinkin it was just me, and my impression being tainted by working with 30 alpha male types on high protein diets...

Independence.

I can feed my firearms when the store shelves are empty.

I have not yet made my own black powder, but I know I could.

Primers could eventually be a problem, but that's why percussion caps and flintlocks were invented... ;):D

I started reloading a couple of years ago, after about a year in CAS. Mainly cost and availability. But then I found I enjoy loading my own. (I will admit I enjoy unloading them more!) there is something satisfying with using bullets you make yourself. I don't "make" anything at work (except money to buy guns, ammo & stuff with) so producing a product is kind of neat. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I think if I can do it anybody can.

Archived