SASS Wire Forum

Ah...Opening Day in Fenway.....

Take a stroll through the Public Gardens, all in bloom with tulips and daffodils and green grass; cross the bridge over the Pond and watch the Swan Boats glide across and back;

Continue down Commonwealth Ave., with magnolias in soft display, the sun warm on your back;

Through Kenmore Square to Fenway, with the aroma of cooking sausages in the air from the street vendors, and hawkers offering tickets for the unprepared;

A seat in the bleachers, with a beer in each hand, the flag blowing out and the Green Monster freshly painted;

The first toss, the slap of ball on leather, and then the Crack, the collective gasp of the crowd, the cry when she clears the wall, and the cheer that goes on and on;

Forever fixed in your mind and felt in your soul....it's Opening Day.

LL

Happy Birthday to both y'all youngsters!

Mo, looks like we'll see the Braves take on the Red Sox about mid-June at Fenway. Sure would like to be able to watch the game in person. Fenway is one park I'd really like to get to see.

I didn't really grow up as a baseball fan, and I didn't grow up in Boston.

But it only took one visit to Fenway in 1975 to make me a convert. It's different than any other stadium I have visited. The history literally weeps from the walls. The open air, the predominant outbound breeze, the sound of the crowd, the hand-operated scoreboard, the left field wall, the manicured real grass, - it's all a step back in time, to baseball in its prime.

I have one stadium image on my office wall. It is a copy of a panoramic image recovered from a long-forgotten storage chest at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. It's the second game of the 1912 World Series at Fenway, between the Red Sox and the Giants. Every man and woman in the stands is wearing a hat (not a ball cap); the entire left field wall is covered in advertising (thank God that's gone now); there are even 10 or 12 rows of seats in front of the wall, on what is now the warning track (what a great place to watch a ball game!).

It's my own Field of Dreams...

LL

4/10/15 Opening day in Cleveland against the dreaded Tigers!!

GO TRIBE!!!!!

I didn't really grow up as a baseball fan, and I didn't grow up in Boston.

But it only took one visit to Fenway in 1975 to make me a convert. It's different than any other stadium I have visited. The history literally weeps from the walls. The open air, the predominant outbound breeze, the sound of the crowd, the hand-operated scoreboard, the left field wall, the manicured real grass, - it's all a step back in time, to baseball in its prime.

I have one stadium image on my office wall. It is a copy of a panoramic image recovered from a long-forgotten storage chest at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. It's the second game of the 1912 World Series at Fenway, between the Red Sox and the Giants. Every man and woman in the stands is wearing a hat (not a ball cap); the entire left field wall is covered in advertising (thank God that's gone now); there are even 10 or 12 rows of seats in front of the wall, on what is now the warning track (what a great place to watch a ball game!).

It's my own Field of Dreams...

LL

My lawyer is a baseball and primarily Red Sox fan. These seats are in the public bathroom in hos office building.

IMG_0156_zpshkqde4s3.jpg

No they did not come from Fenway. They came from Detroit. Ted Williams hit a home run into these seats in the 1941 All-Star game.

from

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2012/07/08/8372/

Herman’s mistake left the Americans one run behind with runners on first and third, two out, and Williams at bat. Passeau, a big right-hander known for his competitiveness, had fanned Williams the previous inning. “He had a fast-tailing ball that he’d jam a left-handed batter with, right into your fists, and if you weren’t quick, he’d get it past you,” Williams recalled.

As Williams came up with the game on the line, he lectured himself: “Damn it, you’ve got to be quicker, you’ve got to be more in front of this guy. You’ve got to be quicker.”

Passeau worked the count to two balls and one strike. Many fans who had been streaming out of the park to get an early jump on traffic had returned and were clotting the aisles. “The excitement in Briggs Stadium was terrific,” Williams said later. Passeau tried to slip a letter-high fastball past Williams, who whipped around in an all-out home run swing.

Charlie Ward of the Detroit Free Press described what happened next: “Williams swung, the crowd roared, Baker danced like a dervish as the ball struck the third deck of the rightfield stands and bounced back onto the playing field. American Leaguers rushed from their dugout to congratulate the willowy Williams as he trotted around the bases in the footsteps of Gordon and DiMaggio as the American Leaguers scored a 7-5 triumph.”

In his autobiography, My Turn At Bat, Williams called the storybook swat his greatest thrill in baseball. “Well, it was the kind of thing a kid dreams about and imagines himself doing when he’s playing those little playground games we used to play in San Diego. Halfway down to first, seeing that ball going out, I stopped running and started leaping and jumping and clapping my hands, and I was just so happy I laughed out loud. I’ve never been so happy, and I’ve never seen so many happy guys.”

As Baker pounded Williams on the back, a photographer asked him to give the big guy a hug for the camera. “Hell,” Baker exclaimed, “I’d be willing to hug a porcupine for a hit like that!” Then he kissed Williams.

No National Leaguer lost more than Arky Vaughan, whose two home runs, three successive hits, and four RBI – each an All-Star Game record – perished under one magnificent swish of Williams’ bat.

Archived