SASS Wire Forum

Best CHEAP Scope for an AR-15

Aunt Jen

Howdy,,

Check out redfield the 2-7 with crossbow recticle.

Got one for my latest 1022.

Shop for a deal.

You wouldn't believe who told me about this little jewel.

Best

CR

Aunt Jen

As important as the scope is the rings are just as important. I prefer rings that are part of the scope mount. This should insure that the rings are perfectly aligned with each other. Very important when fitting your scope to the rings. Talk to your LGS guy when you are there for more information. Have fun but don't rush your decision.

Marlin(who is thinking about and looking for the same thing)Buckhorn

Cheap is a relative term. You can pay a $100 or thousands. A couple of less expensive good scopes to look at for AR type rifles are the Leupold VX-R and for a red dot the Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic). You can get these for around $500 give or take depending on the deal you can find. The Leupold needs mounting rings (bought separately). The Aimpoint will mount directly to your top rail. I have both and I'm very happy with them.

I have a Bushnell AR Optics that's good for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Zone-223-Reticle-Riflescope-Parallax/dp/B00NPXYAZ0

3-12x with a Bullet drop compensator for 55 & 62 grain bullets, under $200

Of course it's mounted on my Tikka T-3 and not my AR, but will probably move to the AR when I get a really good scope for the Tikka

Tks all

And I'm inclined to get one that will magnify some, not just a red dot... Because sometimes I'd like to targer longer.

QUESTION:

What mechanisms do you use to raise or lower the scope? So it matches where your gaze goes.

Tks all

And I'm inclined to get one that will magnify some, not just a red dot... Because sometimes I'd like to targer longer.

QUESTION:

What mechanisms do you use to raise or lower the scope? So it matches where your gaze goes.

Not sure I understand your Q.. I am going to assume you mean where the plain of your eye sits over the receiver. If that is what you mean, you get low, medium of high scope mounts. Those change the height of the scope over the receiver. If that is not what you are asking.....

ARs take a much higher scope mount than say a bolt action or lever action. The AR specific one-piece mounts are a good way to go. And , it just so happens I have a couple of Leupold MK-AR scopes in my safe that I have taken off rifles that I upgraded the scopes. They are both 1.5 X 4 variables , 1 inch tube scopes. Maybe not what you are looking for , but good scopes , and not expensive.

Good luck whatever you decide , Rex :D

Nikon M-223, or for a little less money, Nikon P-223 scopes in the power of your choice are both good choices IMHO. Nikon makes a mount designed for either/or scope. Also a Burris AR-PEPR mount with a quick release is very good. All are available on Amazon, however I would suggest a trip to your LGS for some hands on testing.

And, as has already been said, "You get what you pay for". Better to spend a little more the first time than to have to buy it all over again.

Guess Cheap to me means something different that it does to others. I bought a 3X9 Pentax scope through Sportsmans Guide for $70. That is about half the retail and was so pleased with it I bought a second one. But then I have never been able to afford a scope that costs as much as the rifle.

My long range AR (20" gov't profile barrel) has a Nikon P223, 3-9x40. Darn good scope for $149 on sale with mounts.

Have a couple of Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 on bolt action rifles that are outstanding for about $80 each.

Picked up a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40on eBay about 12 years ago for $150. Outstanding.

Archived