SASS Wire Forum

Identify This Gun, Historic Photograph

Salt Flat Swindler

I'm putting together a presentation on Yellowstone and found a photo of Nathaniel Pitt Langford (first superintendent of Yellowstone) on horseback with what I think is a Sharps carbine but I'm not sure what he has in his pommel bag holster. Doesn't look like a Colt, maybe a Remington? The photo dates to 1871.

http://www.nps.gov/features/yell/slidefile/history/jacksonphotos/Images/14833.jpg

Hard to say, but it looks like a Smith and Wesson as others have mentioned. (Based on the grip shape) The date of 1871 limits the choices. Since it looks like there's a trigger guard, that seems to narrow it down to a Smith and Wesson Model 3 "American" ... which was adopted by the US Army in 1870, making it easily available in 1871.

Looks like a "Spencer" carbine hanging from a Cal. sling....

And a S&W ....

Jabez Cowboy

I agree. It looks like a Spencer carbine and a S&W American revolver.

Note: Two of his revolvers and a derringer are on display at the Mammoth Hot Springs Visitor Center. I bet you could call and ask.

307-344-7381

Savage Navy Belt Revolver

I lean toward Pettengill Army Revolver given the strange shape of the holstered part, too. I don't thing the savages had quite as hard a curve at the grip, which is what makes this look like a Bisley grip angle.

8787365_2.jpg?v=8CC7F043BFCFE70

Also, if you blow the picture up, you can't see a hammer and it seems like you can see the big metal frame area between the cylinder and grip.

I lean toward Pettengill Army Revolver given the strange shape of the holstered part, too. I don't thing the savages had quite as hard a curve at the grip, which is what makes this look like a Bisley grip angle.

8787365_2.jpg?v=8CC7F043BFCFE70

The grip frame looks right but it sure looks like I see a trigger at the back of the trigger guard like a single action.

The grip frame looks right but it sure looks like I see a trigger at the back of the trigger guard like a single action.

You're right - I even thought about that, before I came up with the Pettengill, but I forgot.

That puts me back to agreeing with S&W Mod. 3.

Maybe a Hopkins and Allen XL Navy? Not sure about the years for that.

Howdy Boys and Girls

My money is on a Smith and Wesson American. One of the family of S&W #3 revolvers. First manufactured in 1870. Look at the grip shape. The same forward sweep. This was the first of the S&W #3 Top Breaks. It preceded the Russian model, the Schofield, the New Model Number Three and the 44Double Action.

11025208_5_zps4f771678.jpg

The Merwin Hulbert did not first appear until 1876. The Bisley model Colt did not appear until 1894.

I was also thinking Pettengill, but, it's a single-action by the position of the trigger back in the guard. Another possibility might be an Allen & Wheelock. But looking at Driftwood Johnson's post, with the photo of the S&W 1st Model Russian, I'd go with that! As to the carbine, I'd go with the Sharps, based on the shadows in the receiver area.

OK, I'll be a bit more specific. The S&W First Model American, caliber 44 American (the heeled bullet version) was produced from 1870 until 1872. So it could be one of those. The 2nd Model American started production in 1872, so it is not one of those. The First Model Russian, which looked exactly like the American Model (no funny spur on the trigger guard and no big hump on the grip) was produced from 1871 until 1874. The only difference between the American Model and the First Russian Model was the caliber, 44 S&W American (heeled bullet) for the American model, 44 Russian (non-heeled bullet) for the Russian Model. But seeing as the photo was taken in 1871, and the American started manufacture in 1870, and the First Model Russian started manufacture in 1871, it is more likely that the gun in the photo is the American model, not the First Model Russian.

The stock lokks fluted and has a hard angle. I remember these being common to European revolvers like the British Adams, the Swedish Francotte and the Italian Glisenti. My guess would be the Adams. It was a very popular gun with the Canadians and wealthy.

I don't know what the pistol is but from the magnification that I did on the picture, I can't see a hammer. Doesn't mean it aint there. Maybe the lighting was wrong. The trigger guard looks a little more rounded then what is shown in Driftwood's photo of his S&W. Just my observations.

It's for absolute certainty ..... a revolver and a rifle. No doubt at all.

Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker,

Not only are you a snappy dresser, you are a veritable wealth of information. I know I shouldn't encourage you by posting this. Looking forward to shooting with you again this summer.

My first thought on the pistol, because of the curvature was a Volcanic.

I'm voting for the S&W. Look at the wooden grip panel shape...the upper edge is a straight line, like on the S&W. The Pettengill grip edge is curved.

Why, thank you Seamus. Looking forward to a fun filled summer of shooting. Us clothes snobs gotta stick together (gotta swell new hat).

I alway try to provide a dearth of information. :)

Coffinmaker

Archived