SASS Wire Forum

Apple Warch

Aunt Jen

I just heard Tim Cook say the Apple watch will be the most personal device they've ever created.

Some people are thinking convenience....ease...health....

I'm thinking, though, self-bugging, avenue for hacking, massive self revelations, clouding megadata...

"We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." :ph34r:

Exactly.

Yet, even if it's futile for society, there may be different ways to adjust to it. :) I know that I would not use a lawyer or doctor, or enter into any confidential conversation/interchange, with someone wearing an Apple watch, because it'll record and cloud...

Currently the Apple Watch requires a smart phone to link to operate.

Issue is battery life.

Once they get a good long lasting battery to fit, then the Apple Watch will be a stand alone devise.

Right now, it is not.

And my opinion is you already have the smart phone why the watch.

Also, as a computer person. (extreme user) I can not think of any reason to have a smart phone.

I have a cell phone that is just that. A phone.

Costs me $25/3 months.

It does send and get texts but nothing more.

I agree with not having a phone or device that has GPS and other tracking signals.

"We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." :ph34r:

IMHO, it appears there is a certain percentage of people who would GLADLY give up their freedom, individuality, and privacy if they could have an implant that connected them to the Internet/social media 24/7 and made them part of the group consciousness. Any guesses as to what that percentage is?

CS

Makes sense to me. And WiFi is becoming more common.

I have an old iPhone with an old operating system. I think it does not cloud much. If it ever breaks, and if I had to get another phone, possibly one that did not cloud, ;then I could carry around another old deivce that I could wifi with when needed. I'm ust thinking of adaptations.

I am also very computer, but not a programmer/engineer. I'm just an active user in a few different ways.

I've been involved in information/data handling/using/management for most of my adult life, one way or another (I've done a lot of things, but that has pervaded most of them), and while I'm not Little Miss 1984, I am concerned that at this stage in information management's evolution, a LOT of data is given out/shared/clouded, readily collected/collated/profiled/mined and sold, and that its usage is too freely allowed.

I'm also a Trekker, and as an example, I note that all info appears to be clouded and findable by appropriate parties—and with that, it seems that their example of information management has matured, with the info usually handled properly.

I'm seeing some maturing in the process, but not much. I'm pleased with progress I see, when I do sometimes see it, but I'm eagerly awaiting society to grapple better with

• how to prevent hacking/unauthorized disclosures
  • restricting access / valuing privacy more
  • how to better utilize information collected
  • allowing people access to their own data, where ever it may be

It's insidious.

As with most of what we consider traditional values, the concept of privacy is gradually being phased out of society... with each passing generation - heck, even within each generation! - those values fade. :(

IMHO, it appears there is a certain percentage of people who would GLADLY give up their freedom, individuality, and privacy if they could have an implant that connected them to the Internet/social media 24/7 and made them part of the group consciousness. Any guesses as to what that percentage is?

CS

To "Borg-up"? Yes, there are a lot.

I have no real idea, and I'm not aware of anyone who does. But my guess is that the majority of people would trade privacy for convenience or even borging, i.e., being connected to many things.

It's astonishing to me how a news report may come on TV, say, from Scott Pelley, and how people will fail to notice the thousands in a report who had their home security cameras hacked, interior home footage played in various countries for fun... Most people I know in life seem astonished when I tell them that 97% of businesses have been hacked (reported by CNBC, repeatedly), including but not limnited to Apple, Target, Home Depot, Google, Aetna..........most of them. I guess I just notice things of interest to me, when they say it.

.,,and I know information management has not yet matured when, after having this phone for 3 years, now, and in violation of the laws, I';m still getting harrassing phone calls from collection agencies for my phone number's former owner.

If they can't keep that straight, how can they keep otehr things straight? ah?

Borg up?

Not likely. I hate the cell phone I have. The only reason I carry it is for possibility of accident. I had one with me when we had our accident and it was a valuable asset. Not totally necessary but of some value.

I'm not into having a phone that's smarter than I am. Carry a flip model, compact, fits in a holster on my hip, and doesn't get in the way when working. Plus, no butt dialing. Our kids phones do it a lot, especially the ones with wee tiny ones. Seems little hands find Mom and Dad's phone at the most inopportune times :wacko::blush:

Borg up?

Not likely. I hate the cell phone I have. The only reason I carry it is for possibility of accident. I had one with me when we had our accident and it was a valuable asset. Not totally necessary but of some value.

Amen to that! After Bookworm Sandy passed away last year, I kept up her flip phone and the wi-fi/data plan. The wi-fi comes in handy with her lap top when staying at away shoots (I DO have to check in on The Wire!). In 13 months I have used the phone exactly 5 times - once for a tow when the fuel line on the truck collapsed...the other 4 when people called me - and one of those was a wrong number!

Not completely "connectedly" challenged, just seriously underwhelmed with its importance to me.

CS

Saw on the news tonight, that it will sale for $375.00. I don't like a watch anyway, and my cheapo flip phone tells me what time it is. I can think of better things to spend 375 bucks on.

Archived