SASS Wire Forum

swollen brass

Trigger Mike

i decided I would shoot some of my blackpowder GOEX BLACKDAWG 44.40 OUT OF MY UBERTI SAA. I noticed the base of some of the shells was wider than the cylinder and I had to force them into the hole so the cylinder would rotate. what caused this? hd fun just the same and it was good to shoot a little once more. its been a while since i could go.

TM

a couple of things come to mind

what dia bullet ya using ? I had some Hornady 's that would bind up the pistols , but run fine in the rifle , marked 44-40 , but were a .430 , not .427

is the brass swelling from too much crimp , had that happen , until I started crimping seperatley

CB

Sometimes a seat/crimp die set wrong will bulge the case. The problem happens from squeezing the crimp into the crimp groove while trying to push the bullet in deeper. The same problem happens from seating too deep and from cases that've grown too long and need trimming. (something that usually doesn't happen with 44-40) And sometimes your pile of brass isn't uniform in length to begin with. You set your depth with a couple of overly short cases and the first long one bulges.

Whatever the problem, measuring some cartridges to find where the bulge is should uncover a really worthwhile clue.

Archived