SASS Wire Forum

45 LC or 357 for new shooter?

Donfons99

Ya can mix calibers with-out to much trouble in your different guns .38 spl. , .45 colt and .38-40 make it hard to make a Mistake at the loading table...

By the By there is NO .45 long Colt ,,,,,,, ".45 colts" ammo was common prior to 1900 * Note no caps on colt and the S on the end ...

Jabez Cowboy

By the By there is NO .45 long Colt ,,,,,,, ".45 colts" ammo was common prior to 1900 * Note no caps on colt and the S on the end ...Jabez Cowboy

Yes, the 45 "Long" Colt mislabel is deeply embedded in our language. It comes up often in print. Even Grafs website lables the ammo as 45 Long Colt. MidwayUSA says 45 Colt but adds "Long Colt" in parentheses just to make sure.

357 all the way. (unless you are interested in the 2 or 3 categories that require 45's.)

Plusses

Availability of guns, new or used

Availability of loaded ammo

Availability of reloading components

Ease of reloading the ammo

Much lower cost for ammo, reloaded or purchased.

Lower recoil when fired.

45's arent too much different EXCEPT

Ammo is more expensive, either reloaded or purchased

Recoil is considerably heavier

Most shooters shoot in Age Based Categories for the first couple of years, and many never change. Therefore 357's will suffice as well as adjustable sights, if that's your preference.

Be aware though, in some categories, you cannot use adjustable sights, and in some, you have to use 45's. So if those Categories interest you, then choose your firearms accordingly.

RBK

I can't think of any categories that require .45's...

WB requires a 1911 I guess, but that's a different .45... Rifles have to be .40 or larger.

Classic Cowboy requires .40 and up.

38-40

44-40

44 colt/russian/special/mag

45 colt

Etc...

I started out with a Uberti Bisley and borrowed a pards Vaquero for my 2nd pistol. Both in .45. Then I moved on to a pair of mis-matched Colts in .45. One Blue/CCH and the other Nickel.

Before too long I found another Blue/CCH Colt in a different barrel length.....and so on......

I'm now up to 15 Colts in .45 and a pair in .44 Special. A pair of Uberti Bisley's and Ruger Bisley's, Oh, and a pair or Remmie '58's with conversion cylinders.

2 Uberti 1873's in .45 and a pair of original '97's. One Take Down and one Solid Frame.

Yeah, you do change what you shoot as you go along. Heven help me I I move on to .38/.357. LOL!

I only have two thoughts on the matter ...

1) 38s are definitely cheaper and I'm all for saving money, but if the difference in ammo cost is going to make or break you ..... then you might want a different hobby.

2) The ONLY reason to play this game is for fun. So do what is most enjoyable to you.

With that said, if you already have one gun and 1000 rounds of ammo, it kind of makes sense to buy a used matching gun and go with that. You can ALWAYS sell guns for close to what you paid for them and try something different later.

I only have two thoughts on the matter ...

1) 38s are definitely cheaper and I'm all for saving money, but if the difference in ammo cost is going to make or break you ..... then you might want a different hobby.

2) The ONLY reason to play this game is for fun. So do what is most enjoyable to you.

With that said, if you already have one gun and 1000 rounds of ammo, it kind of makes sense to buy a used matching gun and go with that. You can ALWAYS sell guns for close to what you paid for them and try something different later.

Only makes sense IF. IF that is what you want to shoot.

If NOT. And you are going to go .38's later anyway. Why lose money on all your guns

and have to replace them all.

When you can just lose a little on one gun now.

Lose a little now. Or more later.

That is IF you don't want to stick with the .45's. And many just enjoy shooting those better

than the .38's.

And if that is the case. That is what he should stick with.

He is the only one to answer that one.

If you reload (and if you shoot 45's you should) then the 45 vs 38 costs are about not too different. I load both and my costs are $0.11 each for 38's and $0.13 each for 45's. Now if you are shooting a lot then the savings are there, but if you only shoot every so often, does it really matter?

My better half and I love our gun collection (up to 40 now – although for some of you in this sport, not a lot but we love all of them). Now it sounds like this will really be fun and great way (excuse – not that I need one) to add to that collection…… Really appreciate all the advice – feedback and it is really making the brain juices work.

Archived