SASS Wire Forum

SMOKERS

Chief Rick

No - not cigars, cigarettes or pipes!

What kind of smokers are you using? Wood, gas, electric?

What model do you recommend?

I have an electric smoker and do enjoy it, but I'm looking to get a wood smoker for times & places where electricity may not be available. as well as to experiment with the different flavors.

I don't really know, but thinking charcoal with wood chips for smoke.

As for size, looking to cook for four people as a rule - maybe 6-8 as an exception.

Don't need or want anything that requires a 1/2-ton truck to move.

I've heard good things about the Big Green Egg. I have two family members with one and they swear by them - but I think they use theirs more for grilling than for smoking.

This is what I've used for the past couple of years and I've been totally pleased and satisfied with it.

Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 40" Vertical Gas Smoker

Got mine from Cabala's, but I'm sure they're not the only folks that carry it.

Have a Great Day!

Frio

I use a small electric smoker that I believe is a Cheif. It has a coil and a small sawdust pan in the bottom to provide the smoke. I've used chain saw cuttings for fuel but nothing heavier will work. Use a vegetable oil for the chain lube.

No temperature control but a max of 180 degrees.

It is limited in it's uses but it does it's job quite well within its limitations. I have done as many as 3 briskets at a time. I'like to brine a brisket, stick it in the smoker for 6 or 8 hours, lay it on a piece of foil add a cup of liquid of your choice(beer, orange juice, Dr. Pepper, water etc), wrap tightly and put in oven for 5 or 6 hours at the lowest temp you oven will go. Pretty hard to spit out.

Chickens turkey the same routine. fish requires a little more delicate touch.

A friend who is more into smoking than I has built a cabinet style smoker from hard wood that will do 500 lbs of sausages at a time. If you are handy, this might be a way to go.

I had this one for many years and it worked quite well. https://www.chargriller.com/index.php/grills-smokers/charcoal-grills-smokers/super_pro_grill-detail.html I would use the indirect heat method by setting a heavy gauge steel bowl full of liquid of choice under the racks, then building the fire around it. It had become too worn out to move so we left it with the house. I'm thinking seriously about purchasing a Traeger when we purchase our "forever" home. I can't go another season without making at least one tri-tip or brisket.

I have had a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for years and love what it can do. More affordable than the BGE, and is available in three sizes to fit your needs. A lot of information on it can also be found over on "The Virtual Weber Bullet" site.

Go to this website and click on the ratings and reviews tab. You can learn more good reliable information about BBQ and Smoking equipment and techniques on this one website than just about anywhere else on the internet.

I have been using what I have learned at Amazing Ribs for the last 5 years. The food that comes off my grill is guaranteed not to disappoint.

I use wood. Mesquite if I have it. I made my smoker so I can't tell you much about buying one.

I also use a Traeger also. In fact, in the two years we have had it, I'll bet we have used it far more that our oven. I make everything in it.

If you want to know most anything about smoking grilling or barbecue go to...

Amazingribs.com

Great reviews on all sorts of equipment smokers grills and everything else.

GG

If you want to know most anything about smoking grilling or barbecue go to...

Amazingribs.com

Great reviews on all sorts of equipment smokers grills and everything else.

GG

GG - I think I spent over half my weekend browsing that site. Lots of info.

Just curious as to what others are using to cook for a family of four on a regular basis and occasionally six to eight.

GG - I think I spent over half my weekend browsing that site. Lots of info.

Just curious as to what others are using to cook for a family of four on a regular basis and occasionally six to eight.

I have a infra-red made by Golden Blount in north TX. Label on the grill called it a Texas Sizzler II. Bought it used and love it. Extreemly well made and it will last a lifetime due to its heavy gauge all stainless steel construction.

Replaced the original grates with GrillGrates that i discovered on the Amazing Ribs website and like them so well I have two sets. One is custom fitted for the grill and the other set I use when we are camping or I visit family and they want me to cook.

Personally I think 2 mid size grills are better than one large one. You can run each one differently depending on what you are cooking or run them both the same and have more cooking surface. I say this because I had a very large grill in the past and it was kinda a pain to cook for two on such a large grill.

I would love to have an Open Range by The Good One for when I am cooking for more than 4 people. I would also like to have a Karubecue C-60 Pit for serious smoking. Problem is I keep buy guns for CAS so I never have the funds for another grill.

Masterbuilt vertical electric smoker for me. I replaced my 20 year old horizontal 2 chamber wood/charcoal fired unit and haven't looked back. I changed over to electric because I often do pulled pork or brisket, 16 hours, and I just couldn't stay up all night anymore watching the temperature on the hand stoked charcoal/wood fired smoker. I chose the masterbuilt because it uses wood chips, not the expensive pellets/pucks. I've got lots of fruit trees and hardwood (lots of oak, especially) and trimmed branches are free for the taking.

Ive been using an electric smoker bout the size of a small "dorm" refrigerator....ive tried others over the years but this has a constant temp. that I can control....my ribs are fantastic also smoked trout/salmon come out very tasty...bout have my smoked chickens perfected....come to mich state match or he ibpg and ill give ya a sample

'

I appreciate all the info so far - keep it coming.

I went and looked at a Primo Kamado All-In-One (link) today. It is very similar but just slightly larger than the large Big Green Egg. 18 1/2" diameter, 280 sq. in. cooking surface - but made in the U.S.A.

A local lumber/hardware store has it listed for $899 with 20% off, includes the roller stand, side shelves & three bags of charcoal.

Here's my set up - works great. Cost was under $300 for what you see - the grill grates were$70 at the time for my kettle.

duelkettles_zps8b88d876.jpg

The Smokenator with the kettle makes great ribs:

779d6a0f-30ba-493c-901d-85338af03e5d_zps

and the GrillGrates makes fantastic other things :D

peppahchicken_zps926719a9.jpg

USDAPrimeRibeye_zps0a5f5096.jpg

Hmmm - I'm hungry...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Here's my set up - works great. Cost was under $300 for what you see - the grill grates were$70 at the time for my kettle.

duelkettles_zps8b88d876.jpg

The Smokenator with the kettle makes great ribs:

779d6a0f-30ba-493c-901d-85338af03e5d_zps

and the GrillGrates makes fantastic other things :D

peppahchicken_zps926719a9.jpg

USDAPrimeRibeye_zps0a5f5096.jpg

Hmmm - I'm hungry...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That's some mighty fine looking ribs.

Hard to go wrong with a Webber

Archived