SASS Wire Forum

Out West as far East as you can get...

Twenty years ago or so, there were no coyotes on Cape Cod. Then they learned to cross the bridges, and now they are rampant. No predators.

Well, almost none.....

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Franco6666/Cape/36fc9188-a242-4f16-80dd-8c9f24e9b234_zpsta1vj2a9.jpg

Caught me by surprise when I saw it.

LL

Read about them recently. They are a hybrid with Eastern Wolves. Hybrid wolves are not protected regardless of parentage. Eastern wolves will be spreading out in Northern New England, maybe not as far as the cape though. The two species do not coexist well.

The Fish & Game expert who talked about them told the story of someone who shot a wolf. All he had to say was "He thought is was a hybrid" and he would not have been charged. But he insisted on saying he knew it was a wolf and he shot it. BINGO, GUILTY, TWO YEARS.

I see one occasionally. In my little hectare I have seen bears, deer (or course), fisher cats, turkeys, coyote and fox. Coyotes and foxes don't often coexist because they hunt the same game, like wolves and coyotes don't coexist. Maybe the fact that these yotes are on the bigger side of the predator range leaves the small stuff for the foxes.

One morning in Washington, out in the country, when I got out of the shower, I noticed 2 coyotes stalking two scared alpacas in the pasture. It was imminent. The alpacas were retreating to the center of the field, and the coyotes were about to attack.

My attitude alerted my dog (English Springer Spaniel), who was very good at sensing my intentions. She was ready for terror.

I grabbed my Glock and ran out the house screaming at the coyotes, ready to fire, thinking to keep my point below the horizon to prevent harm to some visible neighbors just to the south.

That wonderful dog----ran at 'em barking like a whole pack of dogs, attacking.

One of the coyotes ran back into the woods to the west, where they came from, but the other one---twice as big as my dog---ran to the east, away from my dog, but the wrong way.

I worried: What? They're out of my sight! What if that coyote turns on my beloved dog who is only half his size? But after a few seconds, the coyote emerged from the east woods and ran fast to the west.

I called the dog back, who looked about as happy as I've ever seen her. Good dog!

And then I realized I was standing out there naked as a jaybird with my gun in my right hand.

Went back inside. :)

I read an article that the eastern coyote has wolf dna , they speculated that it started in Michigan. I believe they are called coy wolves

The coyotes in TN are breading with stray/wild dogs.

I've seen a few different colors at our place, and a lot of difference in size.

Haven't had to much trouble with them here, plus we had a dog that would kill them if he got a hold of 'em.

When we were in KY we had 'em run the horses through fences a couple times though.

The local "experts" say that the cross breading with dogs is breading out the instinctive fear of man, and they expect it to get worse.

I have had them come in really close, when working the blueberry fields. Had one sneak in ten feet behind me, lucky for me I turned around to see how much more I had to do, unlucky for him I had a 1911 on my side

We have quite a few "coydogs". The coyote girls seem to really like the bigger german shepherds, Labs and goldens as partners. I have had a strain of what appear to be german shepherd/coyote coydogs for several years. They are frequently solid black. They pretty much have a live and let live relationship with the cattle. Sheep and hogs are a different business.

We have quite a few "coydogs". The coyote girls seem to really like the bigger german shepherds, Labs and goldens as partners. I have had a strain of what appear to be german shepherd/coyote coydogs for several years. They are frequently solid black. They pretty much have a live and let live relationship with the cattle. Sheep and hogs are a different business.

That's what we're getting, and they liked our goats.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I lived in Rapid City SD from 86 to 89. I shot several Coyotes while hunting ( most with a 22-250), Then I retired from the Military and moved to Poughkeepsie, NY and Worked in NYC from 89 to 92. While I was there they found the first Coyote in NYC in Central Park. They remind me of Cockroaches and Sharks: Survivors! Now I live in TN outside of Chattanooga; we have them all over the place!

Cheers, Hoss

We have a lot of coyotes here. And those damn wolves that were introduced several years ago. They have populated to the point of being taken off of the "endangered species list"...finally. The FWP here issues X number of permits to hunt the wolves now. The number varies year by year. Before they were issuing permits there was an unofficial SSS policy. Shoot, shovel and shut up. Coyotes are pretty much open season all year round. The wolves they brought here are not the strain we had years ago. They're a strain from the NE US and Eastern Canada and are a larger strain than what was here before they were hunted out. They've decimated Elk and Deer herds, like sheep for some reason (yuk) and been known to literally pull a calf being born from a cow and kill and eat it. One rancher here shot 4 of them doing just that last spring during birthing season. As for coyotes, several ranchers started using Llama's as guard animals. They'll stomp the heck out of anything that poses a danger short of a bear.

... And then I realized I was standing out there naked as a jaybird with my gun in my right hand.

Went back inside. :)

We do what we must to protect our own.

John Wesley Hardin, it is reputed, engaged in a gunfight wearing his hat and an irritated expression.

I myself have responded to trouble with a handful of machined steel and a frown.

Kind of breezy and not at all what I'd planned, but the demands of the moment would not allow delay.

Ya done good!

And then I realized I was standing out there naked as a jaybird with my gun in my right hand.

And thus was the sport of naked 'yote hunting invented....since I don't want to spook the critters, much less the neighbors, I won't participate in the naked part! :blush:

Archived