SASS Wire Forum

Computer Question: External hard drive

I've heard of people using an external hard drive instead of the internal hard drive on a confuser. I picked up one a while back, and I can only seem to use it as a storage device. I've got my confuser backed up on it.

Have I heard wrong, or is there more to it?

My machine is old, vintage about 2006 or 2007. It still works okay, but it's getting slow, and I know that eventually it's going to quit on me. If I'm using an external hard drive, I was thinking I could pretty much plug and play. I also thought I could take it along when traveling, instead of my laptop.

Any thoughts?

You can change the boot sequence and you may have to reset the default drive to the external.

---------------------

I have a newer machine and I only keep programs on the machine.

I use an external rive for back up and I use individual thumb drives for data.

I do not leave any of the drives plugged in.

I turn on the machine and wait for it to finish running up.

Then I plug in what ever data drive I need to do what I am doing.

I also don't leave my printer plugged in because I need the USB port for the drives.

I only have two USB ports on the front and all the ports in the back have multi monitor modules in place to run 3 monitors.

I like the thumb drives (16gig) for data because I can take the data with me and run it on other machines or my laptop.

I also have two machines that have never been connected to the net.

Example: My business records are on their own drive.

Each club I do web sites for has their own thumb drive where I keep all the updates, original photos, scorers and articles etc.

I also keep programs I used for say web site building on each flash drive so, I have it if the club computer doesn't.

When I save data, I just use the "Save As" function which allows me to direct the file to the correct external drive and folder.

I've been doing this way for years. I guess it's a habit from the old days of external floppy drives.

Also, I don't worry about being hacked. There's no personal data on my machines.

And my business records are only used on machines not connected tot he net.

You can change the boot sequence and you may have to reset the default drive to the external.

---------------------

I have a newer machine and I only keep programs on the machine.

I use an external rive for back up and I use individual thumb drives for data.

I do not leave any of the drives plugged in.

I turn on the machine and wait for it to finish running up.

Then I plug in what ever data drive I need to do what I am doing.

I also don't leave my printer plugged in because I need the USB port for the drives.

I only have two USB ports on the front and all the ports in the back have multi monitor modules in place to run 3 monitors.

I like the thumb drives (16gig) for data because I can take the data with me and run it on other machines or my laptop.

I also have two machines that have never been connected to the net.

Example: My business records are on their own drive.

Each club I do web sites for has their own thumb drive where I keep all the updates, original photos, scorers and articles etc.

I also keep programs I used for say web site building on each flash drive so, I have it if the club computer doesn't.

When I save data, I just use the "Save As" function which allows me to direct the file to the correct external drive and folder.

I've been doing this way for years. I guess it's a habit from the old days of external floppy drives.

Also, I don't worry about being hacked. There's no personal data on my machines.

And my business records are only used on machines not connected tot he net.

Good habits...Could talk to our government...I think they need help....Sometimes the old ways are better and simple...But safe...

Texas Lizard

I've heard of people using an external hard drive instead of the internal hard drive on a confuser. I picked up one a while back, and I can only seem to use it as a storage device. I've got my confuser backed up on it.

Have I heard wrong, or is there more to it?

My machine is old, vintage about 2006 or 2007. It still works okay, but it's getting slow, and I know that eventually it's going to quit on me. If I'm using an external hard drive, I was thinking I could pretty much plug and play. I also thought I could take it along when traveling, instead of my laptop.

Any thoughts?

I'm on a MAC...But you might be able to go to preferences and select start up drive...If there is a OS loaded it should start up...On MAC I think we used to be able to hold down a Letter C key during start up time and it would look for another startup disc...It was a trouble shooting tool...Not sure if it is still around...Lucky no problems, yet...

Texas Lizard

Archived