SASS Wire Forum

OMG Reloaders!

Aunt Jen

I just loaded 50 rounds of .45 Colt! :)

I have a healthy respect for things that go boom, so I took it painstakingly slow, double checked everything I could. I used my Dillon RL550B. Used all your good advice, wore gloves, replaced the powder in its original container, had only stuff for this reloading operation on the bench, including Trail Boss at 6.5 gn. per, a starting load, Federal 150 primers, Long Star 170 bullets (actually, it's a wooden desk that I bolted the Dillon to), and when I finished, I put a trash bag over the whole thing, to protect it from dust. I had to tweak my primer portion on the 550, but I got it to work every time. I weighed my powder after 1, 3 times; weighed it again after 5; again after 5 more; then at the end of 50, and it hasn't slipped. Same.

I was concerned, however, that in all that distracting weighing that I might accidentally double-load powder in a shell, so I weighed each completed cartridge again, to check for variance in weight. One of them is 5 gn heavier than the mean, so I MARKED IT, and I'll tell the guys about it, see what they say. I'm not going to fire it or mess with it. I'd like to discard it appropriately. It could be a heavier brass/bullet combo, but I worry it could be a double powder charge, as well.

I examined all of them, and as far as I can tell, the rounds look totally normal. My brass is clean, but it didn't polish shiny. But other than that, they look like factory.

I intend to go out to the range soon and run the 49 through a revolver and also my 1873---with safety gear---see how they feel, see if any primers hang up, if recoil is consistent. I didn't make more than 50, as I may need to adjust details.

Such a lot of work this week! But the thing does work. Turns out: it's not just an expensive paperweight like I feared. I'm learning. I think with more experience, It'll work smoother.

A Jen

if you were to slide your little finger , over the bottom of the loaded cartage , you will feel any high primers

this can also be done , if you have boxed em , , slide your finger , of finger nail across em , a high primer will cuase a hang as you slide over the primer

good Job , Please be advised , you should not post load data , per site guidelines

Chickasaw Bill

I just loaded 50 rounds of .45 Colt! :)

I have a healthy respect for things that go boom, so I took it painstakingly slow, double checked everything I could. I used my Dillon RL550B. Used all your good advice, wore gloves, replaced the powder in its original container, had only stuff for this reloading operation on the bench, including Trail Boss at 6.5 gn. per, a starting load, Federal 150 primers, Long Star 170 bullets (actually, it's a wooden desk that I bolted the Dillon to), and when I finished, I put a trash bag over the whole thing, to protect it from dust. I had to tweak my primer portion on the 550, but I got it to work every time. I weighed my powder after 1, 3 times; weighed it again after 5; again after 5 more; then at the end of 50, and it hasn't slipped. Same.

I was concerned, however, that in all that distracting weighing that I might accidentally double-load powder in a shell, so I weighed each completed cartridge again, to check for variance in weight. One of them is 5 gn heavier than the mean, so I MARKED IT, and I'll tell the guys about it, see what they say. I'm not going to fire it or mess with it. I'd like to discard it appropriately. It could be a heavier brass/bullet combo, but I worry it could be a double powder charge, as well.

I examined all of them, and as far as I can tell, the rounds look totally normal. My brass is clean, but it didn't polish shiny. But other than that, they look like factory.

I intend to go out to the range soon and run the 49 through a revolver and also my 1873---with safety gear---see how they feel, see if any primers hang up, if recoil is consistent. I didn't make more than 50, as I may need to adjust details.

Such a lot of work this week! But the thing does work. Turns out: it's not just an expensive paperweight like I feared. I'm learning. I think with more experience, It'll work smoother.

Good for you Jen! I find reloading to be relaxing even with the occasional hiccups that we all have.

Rye ;)

Most every person reloading has some way to disassemble loaded ammo. I use a kenetic bullet puller. Essentially a hammer with a hole in it that you place the cartridge, held by the rim. Rap on something solid and the bullet will pull out by kenetic force.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5382

Most every person reloading has some way to disassemble loaded ammo. I use a kenetic bullet puller. Essentially a hammer with a hole in it that you place the cartridge, held by the rim. Rap on something solid and the bullet will pull out by kenetic force.

I'll look for one. so you can use it on a cartridge that is fully loaded, primer, powder..all?

I'm not telling you the heavy shell is perfectly safe, but you really can't go by loaded shell weight. Bullets can be a grain or two plus or minus, brass can be a grain or two plus or minus. If you have doubts about it, get a little ol' inertia bullet puller and pull the bullet and reweigh everything.

I'm not telling you the heavy shell is perfectly safe, but you really can't go by loaded shell weight. Bullets can be a grain or two plus or minus, brass can be a grain or two plus or minus. If you have doubts about it, get a little ol' inertia bullet puller and pull the bullet and reweigh everything.

willco

Howdy Aunt Jen..

A feller posted here on the wire a couple of months ago if he's ever interrupted or has to

Stop during a reloading session..

He leaves it with handle down..

He said that way he knows where he stopped without having to look at every stage..

A bullet puller is a good thing to have when reloadin..

You could take apart the one yer worried about..

Rance

Thinkin you get real comfortable after a while of reloadin yer own ammo..

What you can do to help is to put a small light/ flashlight over the powder stage so you can see easly into the case. Also if you are getting ready to pull the handle on the press with the case under the powder drop that case should be empty. If it is not you did not index the press, so always look to make sure that the case under the powder drop is empty . Good luck.

I

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading when in doubt in the event of double loads use a bullet puller and pull the charge , do you have a vernier caliber for measuring? That will help as well , another idea is get a few loading trays to put the empties in one for loaded with powder and one for completed rounds , i too weigh everything (ie primer, case, projo, powder then when its all loaded I weigh the complete round and see if it weighs the same as all the weights ) again welcome and be safe and enjoy .

There are powder check dies available. But in the 550B, you have to seat and crimp in one die. The powder check die would go in station 3. Some just has a rod that indicates the level of the powder in the case. You have to visually check every time to see if the rod raises too much or two little. RCBS makes a lockout die that will lock up if the powder charge is too little or too big. I think Dillon makes one that sounds an alarm.

We have one of these in each press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/536792/rcbs-lock-out-die

Here is a Hornady version.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27156

Weighing each one is an excellent method of looking for double charges AND really light charges. It's a great idea when you're using flake powders and donuts like Trail Boss. The danger they pose is from light charges, which they're much more apt to do. WE are who cause the double charges. THOSE bulky powders cause light charges and light charges cause squibs. And firing into squibs happens a lot more often. In many years of holding timers, I've ducked 3 times as the shooter dropped the hammer on the round after a squib. (seems like squibs never are the 5th round, and the shooter never reacts until it's too late)

And digital scales make it possible to do in one lifetime (which is how long it takes with beam balance scales) another important check, that of discovering poorly seated primers. Place each cartridge on the scale primer down. They rock about on projecting primers. Sometimes even fall over. It's sorta cool for one test to do two checks at the same time.

Weighing all the cartridges in a run is really cool. Thanks to the ability to 'tare' the digital scale it's even easier. It's also neat to be able to proof your casting runs. You find out how good a job you're doing. And be able to judge the quality of purchased bullets.

Thank you, too, Litl Red. You all give me such good info.

Yes, i weighed them on end, primer down.

I'll get a bullet puller.

Im really thankful for you all. AND, goodness, who else would appreciate the effort? It feels like an achievement. And even though it's concentrative, it's also meditative.

Even though I've been SASS Life since forever, recently realizing some things that have been keeping my scores too high, and learning to reload-----is kinda feeling like I finally got SASS Religion. :)

I recommend the RCBS lockout die. It will prevent Squib loads as well as Double loads. Typically, my loads using Clays powder, if the powder drop varies more than 3 tenths grain in either direction, it will lock the 550 up and won't let you load that shell.

A load that's only 3 tenths low, will not result in a Squib. It will have reduced velocity, but will still ring steel. Of course anything less, will lock the press up, and you will have to clear the problem before you can continue.

Likewise with a load that's above the setting, or a Double load, again it will lock up the press, and won't let you load it. Of course a load that has 3 tenths or less above the target load, will just have a bit more velocity, but won't hurt anything.

All this to say that you cannot load a shell that has a greater variation, than 3 tenths grain, either up or down. It will lock the press up, and you will have to clear that shell, before you can continue loading. Keeps your re-loads completely safe.

Weight the power chg from station #3 after you index to that station. Less chance of a double chg that way.

Here is what I use to light my 550.

http://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-550

OLG

Thank you, too, Litl Red. You all give me such good info.

Yes, i weighed them on end, primer down.

I'll get a bullet puller.

Im really thankful for you all. AND, goodness, who else would appreciate the effort? It feels like an achievement. And even though it's concentrative, it's also meditative.

Even though I've been SASS Life since forever, recently realizing some things that have been keeping my scores too high, and learning to reload-----is kinda feeling like I finally got SASS Religion. :)

Reloading adds a whole new dimension. As does maintaining and making repairs to your guns and equipment.

seeing that you're loading Trail Boss in 45 at 6.5 g the case won't hold a double charge. If a Dillion is throwing powder it's pretty much throwing the correct amount of powder. I load TB in 45 and worry more about failing the charge a case. I have a UniqueTex light that sets in the tool stand hole. I try to look a each round as I set the bullet into the mouth. That whole squib thing is scary and very real especially in the rifle where it is harder to react

Weight the power chg from station #3 after you index to that station. Less chance of a double chg that way.

http://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-550

OLG

I got one of them from UnigueTex. Great tool shines right down in the case

seeing that you're loading Trail Boss in 45 at 6.5 g the case won't hold a double charge. If a Dillion is throwing powder it's pretty much throwing the correct amount of powder. I load TB in 45 and worry more about failing the charge a case. I have a UniqueTex light that sets in the tool stand hole. I try to look a each round as I set the bullet into the mouth. That whole squib thing is scary and very real especially in the rifle where it is harder to react

Are you using the large powder bar?

Less chance of the TB to 'bridge' and under charge a case.

OLG

Bulky powder is a good choice to start reloading with. Fast powder takes up so little space in the 45 Colt case it's difficult to visually check and a double charge is not obvious. It's like one shovel full of dirt pitched in a 55 gallon barrel.

Well done! Feels good, don't it? Sounds like you did everything right.

One thing you might want to keep in mind though. We're not supposed to post load data here on the Wire. People talk about what kind of powders, primers, bullets, brass, and everything else they use, but you'll not run afoul of Miss Allie Mo if you avoid saying how much powder you used.

Congratulations !!

First thing ya know you'll be out of components and you'll have to shoot more to have something to reload.

As for high primers, I've never had one not fire, but have had them hang up a Ruger cylinder. I check every one now in the revolver. Load em up, give it a spin and dump em. I also check it at the loading table.

There are those of us that "...reload in order to shoot"... and then there are those of us that "...shoot in order to reload!" When I'm shooting, I know that I'm in the group that likes shooting more than reloading... and yet... while in the midst of reloading... I find that I enjoy myself just as much! And then want to get it out and shoot it up and see just how good I did! Life is a circle...

Congrats Aunt Jen on your first 50!

Jen

this thing is GREAT and pretty affordable. I bought one for me and my son in law and we both love it.

OLG

Archived