SASS Wire Forum

How to keep recorders out of Dr.'s office

Aunt Jen

Many people, these days, seem comfortable trading privacy for convenience. Personally, I think it's short-sighted, and, socially at least, an almost schizophrenic denial: aware but willingly unaware. If people want that,don't mind data mining, undisclosed data sales intrusions, even per medical things and intrusions in the home (per the Internet of Things), then that's their choice.

But I don't.

I can keep Internet of some Things out of my life by not installing them in my home.... I can use a stupid phone. I can't stop stores from facial recognition, growing more popular. If they come up to me suggesting sales, I can leave.

But of greater concern to me is tablets, phones, google glass, etc., in the doc's office. I'm an older, former social worker , and I recently worked very hard to get a copy of my med recs per law to see what would happen. I polled 8 docs. Lots of things happened: I was given copies by some. One ignored my request for monhs, until I rather forced his recognition. A few gave me little bits, giving me little bits more when I complained. And one never did give me my info, by claiming he already did. I learned what I intended to learn: records are confidential from patients except selectively and capriciously.

What's in there? Why can't I log on, like a bank account, and see? The med establishment needn't just be concerned for patient malfeasance; patients must also be concerned re med estab malfeasance. MOST DOCS ARE GOOD; some are not, ranging from their own issues/prejudices to financial motivations. (APOLOGIES TO MED FOLKS HERE. I've known way too many docs. I've even had some as patients, in the past (forensic social work, among other things.) I've a long Hx advocating for minorities.

Information management as not yet matured. A patient can have comments inserted via docs offices, but can't truly verify it's been put in.

Sooooooooo..... We get back to the topic: recording devices in exam rooms. Which, for me, population-wise (though recognizably not everyone) will inhibit disclosure and Tx, skew research. Having labs, hospitals, doc's offices linked can be helpful sometimes, and if I ever have such a need, I could take it upon myself to make sure relevant Electronic Health/Med Records systems are informed.

BEST: ALLOW patients to log onto their own medical record---the OFFICIAL ONE, not selective disclosures to an internet company as a service---ALLOW patients to input comments there, themselves if desired, so the patient can know nothing false in there (such as exaggerated Sx for bogus tests) and can make sure important info included--- Maybe such as

---allergies

---adverse drug reactions to certain mess

---history of issues in family

---med issues a doc misses or thinks unimportant

---issues of heart, diabetes, invisible handicaps

I am not one who embraces loss of privacy. I believe in the value of being proactive per health care, that health care is not something that should be done TO the patient.

You raise a good point, Jen, if I read it correctly. However, my personal feeling is that the less I can log on and review, the less anybody else can hack on and view with bad intent. Obamacare is screaming here. The Gubment wants to know. I really don't want them too. But, it sure would be nice to be able to do as you suggest. All it would take is conscientious data entry on the part of the doctors staff. And that is severely lacking, in my experience.

I agree ....

In the hacking issue, Electronic Medical Recirds are already online and fully hackable. We're just not allowed, generally, to see.

FWIW: Although I sm a "liberal democrat Jew," and I fo like Obama usually, I DON'T like Obamacare as I think it's the wring solution.

The medical record may contain a doctor's opinions about the patient, which the patient could find offensive. If the doctor finds that the patient is a hypochondriac Munchausen SOB, he may include his conclusions in the record. I used abbreviations and a special shorthand to make notes in my files about veterinary patients and their owners when I ran into unpleasant pets and people.

I think anything you pay for, like X-rays and lab tests, are yours. But maybe not the whole medical record. The doctor is obligated to provide you with a summary on request, which gives him an opportunity edit out unflattering opinions. No point in risking a lawsuit over unflattering conclusions.

edit: Also, the complete record is a very thick file...records of each exam, visit, test, etc. Copying each page would take a lot of time and expense. I don't blame a doctor for giving out "bits and pieces".

Yes. I'm complaining about what IS. I'm suggesting what I think SHOULD BE.

I believe a doc's personal opinions, impressions, etc, should not be given into the EMR, where other docs/offices may see, as his biases can then bias other docs/offices.

I also believe a patient should have the right to know what his doctor thinks of him, as a neg view ior bias can impact treatment, care, and often actually does. As I say, I've spent a lot of time advocating for minorities.

Docs have issues as much as anyone else. Patients may need to switch providers and nit know it.

I believe a PT should be able to see whole record.

I think I should have 30 million dollars and be the King of my own country. I THINK I should have the right of prima nocta over my subjects. Now what is? I got some land that the government taxes, I got a 10 year old car that needs new spark plugs. I need an operation but cant afford it.That is what is.

I see. And it is correct that you should be able to suggest you are king..., though I think it unlikely. Spark plugs you can work out. Surgery---age? Medicare? Personally, I am not in favor of health insurance companies as a fundamental part of how treatment industry works. They are for-profit middle men who raise Tge cost of treatment and exclude what they dint want to pay for....

But national medical policies are a common item of discussion. Laws are amended per public sentiment, so it's appropriate to complain.

On recording devices in exam room, I would tell doc to remove it (such as Goigle Glass eyewear) from the room, to respect my privacy. If he takes umbrage, I would remove him from my case and select simeone who did respect my case.

Of course it is correct that I suggest I be king! The point I was making, what we think should be vs. what is are nice to talk about but unless one is going to go get involved in the process to change what one doesn't like, then it just talk. Run for a political office. Go vote, sign others up to vote. Campaign for someone you want to hold office. Testify before a legislative committee. Haunt the halls of Congress and talk to them. Spend your money molding the minds of legislators.

Archived