SASS Wire Forum

Best State to Retire To

Aunt Jen

You should never lament the loss of the old or even consider it a loss. You should treasure fond memories instead.

As far as a place to retire, it's far to individual a decision for me to make recommendations. We tokk several years and logged thousands of milesmin our search. Taxes, cost of living, facilities, climate, population, infrastructure, etc etc are all factors that we considered. We are content with our decision.

Being a recent former Californian, and a native one to boot, leaving was difficult. It wasn't a decision we made lightly. Both of our families have been there for generations. However, the state left us a long time ago. We just relocated our household. We're not ready to retire. We may not retire here. Like Bob said, it's a highly personal decision and it's something only you can decide. Don't let memories stand in your way. You can make plenty of new ones.

I pray you find someplace that's ideal for you!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close to medical facilities.

Far enough away from people to see some wildlife.

Association fees are a deal breaker.

No income taxes.

...having lived in Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama, and back to Oklahoma... ...home is where I hang my hat, and Ms. Mary Matilda is happy... ...each of these 3 states have their great attributes...

...we also travel in our RV (about 15,000 miles a year) and have been to 37 states...

...what we have found is that grandma (read Ms. Mary Matilda) misses being close to her grandkids (north Alabama)... ...so, we have our place up for sale and have started the process of looking at Middle and East Tennessee as well as north Alabama...

...I take Wolfgang's advice to heart; "...it may not be which state, but where 'bouts in a particular state...) ...just outline what it is you're looking for, ie., set up your selection criteria; then do your homework (go travel and visit and learn about); then do your final selection....

(PS - owning an RV means that there is no rush to purchasing another place once the current one is sold, just store what it is you want to keep)...

I'm hearing Washington, Utah, Arizona, California, Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, Maine, Massachusetts...

MASSACHUSETTS!!!!!!!! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!

Absolutely the worse state in the union if you like guns, motorcycles, boats, hot rods, atvs, hunting, fishing, and anything else they can think of taxing, regulating or banning.............I HATE it here.....But Wife and Grandkids anchor me......I could do without the wife...but the GKs would be tough to leave.... ;)

MASSACHUSETTS!!!!!!!! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!

Absolutely the worse state in the union if you like guns, motorcycles, boats, hot rods, atvs, hunting, fishing, and anything else they can think of taxing, regulating or banning.............I HATE it here.....But Wife and Grandkids anchor me......I could do without the wife...but the GKs would be tough to leave.... ;)

Hey, Roy....it's not so bad. And on balance, we have world-class health care and hospitals, great theater, the ocean on one side, mountains and forests to the north and west, and the youth and vitality that comes from a huge college/university presence. If you are a history/arts buff, we have almost 400 years of it here, and can walk the paths of Adams (both of them), Revere, and Crispus Attucks; visit the scene of the Boston Massacre, Concord Bridge and Lexington Green; sit at the shore of Walden Pond; luxuriate in the collections of the Museum of Fine Arts; stroll through the magnolia-laden streets of the Back Bay in the Spring; board the U.S.S. Constitution; visit the site of the Tea Party; tour the Mayflower II and Plymouth Rock; sit on the lawn at Tanglewood and listen to the Symphony; stroll the Emerald Necklace along the banks of the Charles; walk to Fenway Park and catch the Sox; take the train to Foxboro and watch the Pats; sit at the Hatch Shell, listen to the Pops and watch the 4th of July fireworks; or enjoy any of a thousand other delights as may suit your fancy and budget. And the only tax on any of that is in the cost of your gasoline.

The total tax burden has fallen markedly in the last 15 years, although certain items (auto excise tax and use tax) grind my principles along with my wallet. Guns...well, if you study the laws and work within the boundries, there is not much that really crimps your style. Living west of Boston, within two hours, I can be on a beach, in the mountains, hunting in the woods, or downtown. The biggest drawback for me is that I have literally no political voice; Republicans in office are as rare as unindicted Democrats, and you get to feeling lonely and left out of the process when major issues arise. But as I get older, the less consequential that seems. Like you, we have family here, some of whom are likely to outlive us, so I don't see us going anywhere else.

I suppose we all worry about money in retirement. My cottage is paid for, and the real estate taxes are a fraction of what I pay now, so my major expenses are likely to be health care and food, which I think I can handle. If I readjust my middle class consumption compulsion, I think we'll be fine. As Thoreau said, "(w)ealth is the ability to fully experience life". Now all I have to do is keep living.

LL

We took a different tack. Sold everything and bought a motorhome. We became residents of Texas and all of our mail goes to a forwarding service that also serves as our official (read taxes) address. No state income tax there and very reasonable cost of living. (Texas also has a seacoast.) When we are done traveling, we will probably move between three areas each year. Coastal California, coastal Oregon, and Phoenix area, spending 3/6 months in each. Arizona is a Mecca for CAS in winter.

The only good thing we have is the Pats....and they are the "NEW ENGLAND" Patriots...Not the Massachusetts Patriots. Everything else you posted is nice, but how often have either of us partaken? And all that can be accomplished with a visit.

I travel every week , all over the country for business. I was in Nashville area last week. Amazing people. So friendly and generous. You put your directional light on and they actually let you in!!! Beautiful country and low cost of everything. Prescott AZ...Fantastic place to live but getting w bit expensive.I travel to Texas once a month. I love it! Hill Country in Texas could be the best. Very, very inexpensive. As good if not better medical in Houston a short drive away. Hard to beat Austin for culture and can not be beat for music. Ocean is a hour or two away and huge lakes to play in. Unlimited hunting opportunities. And a state that really doesn't want to take away your right to enjoyment. But with 1000 Californians a day moving to Texas, I hope they don't do to it what they did to Colorado and Idaho.......

The only good thing we have is the Pats....and they are the "NEW ENGLAND" Patriots...Not the Massachusetts Patriots. Everything else you posted is nice, but how often have either of us partaken? And all that can be accomplished with a visit.

I travel every week , all over the country for business. I was in Nashville area last week. Amazing people. So friendly and generous. You put your directional light on and they actually let you in!!! Beautiful country and low cost of everything. Prescott AZ...Fantastic place to live but getting w bit expensive.I travel to Texas once a month. I love it! Hill Country in Texas could be the best. Very, very inexpensive. As good if not better medical in Houston a short drive away. Hard to beat Austin for culture and can not be beat for music. Ocean is a hour or two away and huge lakes to play in. Unlimited hunting opportunities. And a state that really doesn't want to take away your right to enjoyment. But with 1000 Californians a day moving to Texas, I hope they don't do to it what they did to Colorado and Idaho.......

Idaho is still a Red state at least...

And all the money in the state is red. So I dunno if I see that changing anytime soon.

But they sure played hell on real estate prices...

My sister in law and brother in law sold their house in Santa Barbara and moved to Sand Point ID about 15 years ago. We visit them every year. Amazing the change in that area because of Californians. They move in to get away from the liberal nonsense and then try to implement it into their new homeland........There used to be a big sign on the main road into Sand Point...."People From California..Thanks for visiting...Now Go Home!"

Idaho is turning a shade of pinkish blue..... ;)

They've added paved roads and laws...

Both of which I could do without.

But, as long as the Governor of the State is riding his Harley while open carrying... I think they're in good shape.

But, as long as the Governor of the State is riding his Harley while open carrying... I think they're in good shape.

Love it!.... :D

I get homesick a little now and then though.

No denying the beauty of the state, high mountain desert in the south, green like a rainforest in the north, and mountains throughout.

And the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 states is mostly within Idaho. Don't know if it still holds true, but some years ago Idaho had more public land than any other state in the lower 48 by double.

100_4098.jpg

This is coming out of my parents old driveway. About a mile behind us in this picture is where I grew up.

100_4074.jpg

100_4014.jpg

100_3998.jpg

Lost Trail-Where will you be when you get here? Just curious

Hoping to be between Bozeman & Billings. Second oldest brother lives around Billings, childhood buddy lives in Bozeman.

Spent most of my growing up years in the Bitterroot Valley, graduated high school in Hamilton 1980. Couple of years over outside of Laurel.

Once Bluewater Ringer (oldest brother) gets a new liver, would like to see him move back to MT also.

I spend a bunch of time in the Polson area just south of Flathead Lake..I have three friends that packed up and moved out there from Massachusetts...Beautiful area to live! Wonderful folks and a few great gun shops and lots of gun manufactures to get a partime job wiping up drewel!

Well, Colorado is far from lost. Denver is another story. ;)

But I believe Jen is looking for Positive ideas on where to locate rather than negative examples.

My sister in law and brother in law sold their house in Santa Barbara and moved to Sand Point ID about 15 years ago. We visit them every year. Amazing the change in that area because of Californians. They move in to get away from the liberal nonsense and then try to implement it into their new homeland........There used to be a big sign on the main road into Sand Point...."People From California..Thanks for visiting...Now Go Home!"

Idaho is turning a shade of pinkish blue..... ;)

That's why my college roommate moved from Bozeman back to rural Pennsylvania, neither he or his wife could deal with the liberal Californians and the bull crap they brought with them

Well, Colorado is far from lost. Denver is another story. ;)

But I believe Jen is looking for Positive ideas on where to locate rather than negative examples.

Having lived in Colorado for the past 15 years, it's been a rather rapid slide to the dark side. The lib-tards in Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins have adversely influenced the voting. Making Denver and now all of Colorado a sanctuary for illegals is further increasing the voting block for the liberal agenda.

Now that illegals can get a Colorado drivers license plus all welfare benefits, I see the recent 'victories' of the Republicrats ans a minor slow-down to the Communist agenda. The Republicrats are virtually the same as the Democrats, just taking a bit slower path.

Gotta be careful of the big cities in the red states. Look what's happening to Maine and New Hampshire......Flatlanders are moving up there from Massachusetts, New Jersey and NY......Maine has one big city, Portland, that is changing the landscape up there. Heck, they are trying to ban Bear Hunting! Even Texas has Austin.....More liberal than Boston! And yes, Denver......Nuff said.

That's why my college roommate moved from Bozeman back to rural Pennsylvania, neither he or his wife could deal with the liberal Californians and the bull crap they brought with them

That's why we're not looking at moving to the Bitterroot valley. Hollyweird discovered it back in the '70's, moved in and started in with all their liberal crap. Kevin Costner's security guards are asses, personal experience in 2000. Huey Lewis is pretty cool and does a ton of charity work and buying poor peoples groceries at random.

Most of the Californians I met/meet that have moved there are elitist asshats.

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. I spent my career 20 miles west of the city. When I retired I move an hour or so north to the small town of Mercer.

The town is the county seat of Mercer County and is small town America at it's best. There are no parking meters in town but there are hitching posts and they are not decorative. There is a large stained glass window in the treasurers office emblazoned with the 2nd amendment. The corn fields come within a quarter mile of town. Our cost of living is low, our taxes are reasonable and the people are friendly and welcoming.

Our gun laws are very shooter friendly ccw's are very easy to obtain, a simple half page form, a NICS check and your good to go. We have millions of acres of public hunting land owned and managed for hunting by the game commission. We don't have an ocean but we do have Lake Erie an hour north.

For those who think Pa. is an urban state it isn't. It has best been described as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.

Maybe we could get back on track with recommendations for Jen? She asked for places to go, not places to avoid.

:rolleyes:

We have millions of acres of public hunting land owned and managed for hunting by the game commission. We don't have an ocean but we do have Lake Erie an hour north.For those who think Pa. is an urban state it isn't. It has best been described as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.

Exactly. Except for a few small Eastern states, most of America has a significant amount of relatively undeveloped "country". It all depends on what you prefer in lifestyle.

Texas is not a place to go to. Water is becoming scare, lakes are drying up. Temperatures are high with 100+ the norm about 7 months of the year. The state is being moved to the liberal side of politics. Taxes and utilities are high. Land costs are high. while no income tax, the sales taxes are high. Too many people in Texas second in population only to California. Low pay generally and where it is high pay is very limited - high tech. Medical is expensive. Best to move to someplace else.

...here's my recommended list of places to live:

1. summer in Creede Colorado and winter in Corpus Christi

2. summer in Shady Cove Oregon and winter in Tucson

3. summer in Madison, Wisconsin and winter in Mobile

4. summer in Hagerstown and winter in Brunswick

5. summer in Custer SD and winter in Corpus Christi

...if'n I had myownself's druthers...

...here's my recommended list of places to live:

1. summer in Creede Colorado and winter in Corpus Christi

2. summer in Shady Cove Oregon and winter in Tucson

3. summer in Madison, Wisconsin and winter in Mobile

4. summer in Hagerstown and winter in Brunswick

5. summer in Custer SD and winter in Corpus Christi

...if'n I had myownself's druthers...

Al it takes is money. :D

Lots of retirees that I know, didn't move or retired in a location so that they could be close to their grandkids.

but some do quite a bit of travlin'

We took a different tack. Sold everything and bought a motorhome. We became residents of Texas and all of our mail goes to a forwarding service that also serves as our official (read taxes) address. No state income tax there and very reasonable cost of living. (Texas also has a seacoast.) When we are done traveling, we will probably move between three areas each year. Coastal California, coastal Oregon, and Phoenix area, spending 3/6 months in each. Arizona is a Mecca for CAS in winter.

Aunt Jen, this sounds like an idea. You might try hopscotching across the country visiting different places until you found one to settle in. If you ever come out this way, you're more than welcome to hang your hat at our place for as long as you like.

Aunt Jen, this sounds like an idea. You might try hopscotching across the country visiting different places until you found one to settle in. If you ever come out this way, you're more than welcome to hang your hat at our place for as long as you like.

Jen: Your problems are solved!! Free room & board for as long as you like!!!!

LL

I'll reserve the campsite for ya. :D

yc2Uf9.jpg

These "Best State" lists make me chuckle. Some goober in a NYC magazine office assesses where you and I should retire based upon.....where most people have already retired. Everyone is going to approach this differently. For my bride and I, we're looking at trying to make it affordable to live where our family and friends already are. I can cut expenses and make a little money, but it's harder to cut out family connections and make new friends. So we'll try to stay in MA (on the Cape) by downsizing into our cottage year-round, selling the suburban Boston house, modifying our lifestyle a bit, and, in the first place, working to 70 to maximize the SS payments. God willing, our health will hold long enough to enjoy the eventual retirement.

As for the Southwest tax havens with longer life expectancies - I couldn't live out of sight and sound of the ocean. Even in a smaller, old man sailboat, nothing restores my soul like a day on the water. And I think, at 70, I will need that.

LL

Both Florida and Texas have miles and miles of ocean front and with reasonable gun laws and taxes. No income tax in TX and plenty of history and culture. Houston's variety and quality of restaraunts are unequaled. My daughter went Berklee College of music in Boston, nice place to visit - but when you have STUDY gun laws to get by - not good.

Tombstone AZ

Got the wife to agree to 3 months out of the year, pushing for 12 months.

Lot of homes for sale for 1/2 what they'd cost here. Plus no snow, no yard to mow and no gutters to clean.

Tombstone AZ

Got the wife to agree to 3 months out of the year, pushing for 12 months.

Lot of homes for sale for 1/2 what they'd cost here. Plus no snow, no yard to mow and no gutters to clean.

Tombstone? You sure it's "Cowboy" enough?

Jen: Your problems are solved!! Free room & board for as long as you like!!!!

LL

Uno has always said my generous nature would come back to bite me some time.... LOL

Archived