SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Handbook and OAL

Aunt Jen

Hello reloaders,

I'm setting up my Dillon 550B. I've had it for years, but Winter Range sold me on reloading, as there, in the Dillon tent, I saw a 550B work for the first time.

I'm setting up to reload .45 Colt. I intend to use 170 grain bullets for SASS. I already bought the bullets at WR from Lone Star. I'm using Tightgroup powder, but I could also use Expansion Industries ETR7, as I have 2 lbs of that, also. I'm using Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition (so far). I do see a 45 Colt section, P.389, but I do NOT see anything for 170 grain bullets. The closest one I see is 200 grain, page 390.

QUESTIONS:

Do I extrapolate? Or do I need another book? :) If I interpolate, I need a spectrum, so I'd graph the other loads?

Thank you

The Lone Star website shows a picture of their 170gr 45LC and they have a cannelure. Setup your seating die so the brass crimps into that groove. That'll be your OAL.

As for another load manual, even the most extensive won't be good enough. Especially since a huge number of the cowboy loads your hear in every posse are popping charges below most every manual's start charge.

Aunt Jen do you have the video for the 550 from dillon, if not I advise getting it as it will help you setup your press and shoe you the proper steps to reload in. I recommend the titegroup out of the power you listed but would suggest if you can get TrailBoss to use it as it was designed for sass loads in large cases. It will be very easy to have a double charge in a 45 case with titegroup and you will be hard to knoticed it. With tb the powder will be falling out of the case for most loads. Go to either the hodges powder web site and use the load calculator for tight group or alignment for non hodges powders.

Aunt Jen, do you have the video for the 550 from Dillon? If not I advise getting it as it will help you setup your press and show you the proper steps to reload in. I recommend Titegroup out of the powder you listed, but would suggest, if you can, get TrailBoss as it was designed for SASS loads in large cases. It will be very easy to have a double charge in a 45 case with Titegroup and you will be hard-pressed to notice it. With TB, the powder will be falling out of the case for most double charged loads. Go to either the Hodgdon powder web site and use the load calculator for Titegroup or appropriate charges for non Hodgdon powders.

Translated that for ya... And they list only IMR and Winchester powders beside the Hodgdon as they are the distributor for such. If you look at the load data listed on the Hodgdon website, you'll note that they list the SAME starting load for both 160 and 180 grain bullets... I'd have no trouble using that as a starting point for a 170 grain pill.

Archived