SASS Wire Forum

What Primers?

Aunt Jen

Hello.

The word I'd preculiously gotten, for reloading .45 Long Colt, for SASS, with 170 grain bullets, was to get FEDERAL primers.

My local gun shop dies not have them, but has CCI large pistol no. 300 and WINCHESTER large pistol primers for standard or magnum loads.

Ideas?

What is best?

Between those two, I'd go Winchester. CCI has harder cups.

Winchester.

Get as much of whatever you can.

I run'em all with no issue in SASS ammo.

OLG

Agree completely! Unless your gunsmith has lightened you hammer fall so much that it's borderline unreliable you will find negligible differences between them for non-maximum or non-precision reloads.

I use Federal as a habit, but I've several bricks of Winchester and CCI around the bench as well.

Shadow Catcher

I prefer Federal of course, but CCI are my second choice. To this day, I have never had one fail to fire. I have had 6 Winchesters FTF out of the last 1000 I loaded up. Now that isn't much really, so perhaps that brick had a couple of bad apples. Still, when loading 45 colt with starline cases, I find that CCI fit a little easier in, whereas the Winchesters take more pressure to seat.

As long as your hammers are not too light, either should be good. If you're guns are slicked up really light both of these can be trouble.

Rye ;)

Some guns are lightened to point of only igniting Federals on a consistent basis.

I use Winchester primers and do not shoot any guns that will not fire factory ammo.

CCI primers are believed to be the hardest of these three to ignite. I use them only for my 1911s.

Personally I use Sellier and Bellot because they are cheap and go bang every time. I use Winchester when S and B are not available and they sometimes don't go bang. Just my opinion.

Were it me, I would just get 1 brick of the Winchesters. That will hold you over till you can get the Federals. Using Federals, you never have to worry about light hammer strikes, as they work with the lightest of hammer strikes. Additionally, I haven't had a FTF using Federals in the last 10,000 or do primers.

RBK

I prefer CCIs. The only primers I have ever had difficulties with were Winchester LP.

I used to think it didn't matter .... until I loaded up a bunch .38s with CCI primers and about 1 in 10 wouldn't pop in my '66 with a really light action. They all popped fine in my revolvers, even with lighter spring kits.

Federals on the other hand ALWAYS pop in the '66.

I prefer CCIs. The only primers I have ever had difficulties with were Winchester LP.

That's funny, I seem to have more difficulties with CCIs... in pistol cartridges; I get more deformed primers when seating them than any of the others... but, then, I do use them religiously for magnum rifle calibers!

That's funny, I seem to have more difficulties with CCIs... in pistol cartridges; I get more deformed primers when seating them than any of the others... but, then, I do use them religiously for magnum rifle calibers!

I'm curious, is this for loading .38s or .45s? I keep hearing how bad CCI are and they are my go to primers these days. I shoot 45s and my Rugers have the long hunter spring kits in them. The only time the primers don't pop are with Winchesters. At least with my latest batch anyway. Could just be a fluke. Have never had a ftf with CCI large pistol primers and they seat so much better than Winchesters for me.

When I was shooting N-SSA with my 1860 Henry in 44-40 I had an issue with Winchester primers. They would always fire but when I changed to Federals my accuracy improved. Since we don’t shoot 4 inch clay birds at 50 yards this my not be an issue in CAS.

I'm curious, is this for loading .38s or .45s? I keep hearing how bad CCI are and they are my go to primers these days. I shoot 45s and my Rugers have the long hunter spring kits in them. The only time the primers don't pop are with Winchesters. At least with my latest batch anyway. Could just be a fluke. Have never had a ftf with CCI large pistol primers and they seat so much better than Winchesters for me.

Yup! My experience as well.

Archived