SASS Wire Forum

OAL TIME VS RANK POINTS

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

Howdy All

Just two things to make this Cowboy Shootin Game Better!!!

I'm going ta shoot More ,,,, Done with #1...

Getting RIDE of RANK POINTS ,,,,, to bad it don't seem to be possible... Well one out of two ain't all bad...

But we can hope for a change of Heart......... RANK POINTS SUCK !!!

Jabez Cowboy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBM: if it were only that simple, it might work.

I see by your SASS # that you are 87590. SASS has continued to grow above 100,000+.

We are all paying $45 for Annual Dues. I'm not so sure that a few folks refusing to shoot a Rank match will bother anyone in the WB. Matter of fact, there are probably a few Pards who prefer a Rank Match and would refuse a Total Time match.

Do you think the WB is gona be bothered with this. After all, they already got your Annual Dues.

You're missing out on alot of fun shooting with your Pards, no matter how its scored.

Heck, I'd still go shoot even if the match wasn't scored at all.

..........Widder

I bought a multi year membership. Frankly, when I bought it, there was no rank scoring. I will probably just join my local clubs and forgo SASS membership at renewal time. That will allow me to shoot as I normally do. Heck, I don't get to shoot too much these days as I am working overseas now.

I have only done a couple Regional or above shoots and I can shoot every weekend, sometimes twice a weekend without ever having to drive more than 2 hours each way. So, its an easy decision.

I am not foolish enough to believe 1 individual makes a difference. But, you can't blame someone for standing on what they think is right.

BBM: if it were only that simple, it might work.

I see by your SASS # that you are 87590. SASS has continued to grow above 100,000+.

We are all paying $45 for Annual Dues. I'm not so sure that a few folks refusing to shoot a Rank match will bother anyone in the WB. Matter of fact, there are probably a few Pards who prefer a Rank Match and would refuse a Total Time match.

Do you think the WB is gona be bothered with this. After all, they already got your Annual Dues.

You're missing out on alot of fun shooting with your Pards, no matter how its scored.

Heck, I'd still go shoot even if the match wasn't scored at all.

..........Widder

I bought a multi year membership. Frankly, when I bought it, there was no rank scoring. I will probably just join my local clubs and forgo SASS membership at renewal time. That will allow me to shoot as I normally do. Heck, I don't get to shoot too much these days as I am working overseas now.

I have only done a couple Regional or above shoots and I can shoot every weekend, sometimes twice a weekend without ever having to drive more than 2 hours each way. So, its an easy decision.

I am not foolish enough to believe 1 individual makes a difference. But, you can't blame someone for standing on what they think is right.

I beg to differ, sir. When you bought your membership there WAS rank scoring. There's been rank scoring as long as I can remember, and before. And those couple of Regional or above shoots, rank scoring was used. ALL SASS-sanctioned Stste and above matches use rank scoring.

Rank scoring made some sense in the early days. Stages varied widely in complexity and duration. As attendance increased, it became imperative to balance the stages as to their duration to avoid posses from piling up on one another.

I beg to differ, sir. When you bought your membership there WAS rank scoring. There's been rank scoring as long as I can remember, and before. And those couple of Regional or above shoots, rank scoring was used. ALL SASS-sanctioned Stste and above matches use rank scoring.

Rank scoring made some sense in the early days. Stages varied widely in complexity and duration. As attendance increased, it became imperative to balance the stages as to their duration to avoid posses from piling up on one another.

Matches above the state level must use rank scoring.

The only one not having any fun is you. Why would anyone let a rule disagreement stop them from having fun?

It's way more fun hootin', hollerin', lyin', tellin' war stories, drinkin' bourbon and smokin' fine tobacco than being pissy at home.

Did ya at least get all your chores done while we shot 1800 rounds in 9 days at Winter Range?

+1

If you avoid all matches that score with Rank points around here. You will NEVER shoot a cowboy match.

As in my area. I can not think of one club that does not use rank points.

I don't see it as that big a deal. But if someone does.

Well. That's up to you to miss some great matches.

With 700 shooters at WR. Looks like they got plenty to fill your spot.

There is a great line at the shooter's meeting at a club in CO to wit: "We're all here to have fun. If you're not having fun please feel free to pack up and leave so the rest of us can get back to it."

There is a great line at the shooter's meeting at a club in CO to wit: "We're all here to have fun. If you're not having fun please feel free to pack up and leave so the rest of us can get back to it."

:)

Hey Bighipiron!

Shoot the Western Regional in August at Chorro Valley (Morro Bay). It will use rank points.

Hope to see you there,

Allie

I doubt I will be there since my wife is due end of July. There's a chance that I might be able to make dry gulch though. I really want to shoot that master gunfighter stage

Just a minor correction.

All SASS sanctioned matches of Regional and above require a scoring system utilizing overall ranking.

STATE matches may be scored using Total Time.

Local matches in my area, don't use it. The state match does, so like I said.... will stay local. Works fine for me anyway,

I don't understand the consternation. A scoring method is announced and used. The winner wins and all the "what ifs" happen. I love this game and will shoot RP or TT. Chips will fall where they will.

CR

I don't understand the consternation. A scoring method is announced and used. The winner wins and all the "what ifs" happen. I love this game and will shoot RP or TT. Chips will fall where they will.

CR

+1

CR

Yup. It is all fun to shoot!

CR

Big plus one.

Anyone that skips a match just because of rank point scoring.

Was just hunting for a reason not to go anyway.

CR

Bingo - my only problem lately....is I need to get out and SHOOT!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Just a minor correction.

All SASS sanctioned matches of Regional and above require a scoring system utilizing overall ranking.

STATE matches may be scored using Total Time.

Yep, Last years Texas State was scored on Total Time. Guess who won that one. :)

Please disregard this stupid post. Texas State 2013 was TT. 2014 was rank points. :o

Basketball invented in Canada,,,, Was improved by the suggestion of "why don't we cut the bottom out of the basket" and futher improved by going to the Steel rim and net ,,,, Both changes were meet with some resistance ...

I view removal of RANK POINTS as a chance to make a vast improvement in the Game....

Why have separate categories only to have the winner of a category desided by shooters from outside of the category in question ???

Jabez Cowboy

J cowboy how about scoring it like they do WBAS, where the rank points are within the category but the top shooter on the stage sets the overall value for the stage iirc.

If you have a problem with Rank Scoring; shoot faster, and don't miss.

If you have a problem with Total Time; Shoot Faster. And don't miss.

This game is not that hard...

Cheers,

FJT

:lol::lol::D:lol:

If you have a problem with Rank Scoring; shoot faster, and don't miss.

If you have a problem with Total Time; Shoot Faster. And don't miss.

This game is not that hard...

Cheers,

FJT

:):D:lol::lol: :lol:

My standard response:

Total Time Scoring vs. Rank Point Scoring is the result of Game Preference !

Which Game does one prefer to play ? A Match of continuous competition or a Match which is series of discrete competitions? Baseball is continuous competition, runs are accumulated over 9 innings. Tennis is a series of discrete competitions - called Sets. A Player can win the Match, 3 Sets to 2 Sets and have won less games than the one who won only 2 Sets.

Each stage is a Total Time Event. The issue seems to be how the scores in each Total Time Stage are accumulated across a series of Stages for a Match Score.

If the individual Stages are NOT considered a discrete unique competition events, but instead continuous competition, then Total Time is a good method to obtain an individual score for each competitor.

But if each Stage is considered a discrete unique event, then some other means than Total Time must be used to obtain an individuals score for a series of such unique discrete events (Stages). Rank Points is one way to make such an addition of unequal unique events.

The Scoring System is the result of which Game is chosen.

If there could be agreement on what the game is today, then maybe agreement could be obtained on the scoring system.

The Wild Bunch evolved the Game as a Series of Discrete Competitions of Unequal Events. And that is the Game that is played at regional and above matches.

I enjoy both Games, but will play them slightly differently.

As long as the concept of fairness is debated, the debate can never end, as fairness is in the eye of the beholder.

In the dim-distant past, I ran the overall club championship for best competitor for a local IWLA. We shot Bullseye Pistol, M1 Rifle, Trap, Archery, and Darts. Gave away really nice trophies. Used rank point scoring and the deal breaker was usually darts. We set the trap up to toss them all straight out. Had BBQ and beer afterward.

Archived