SASS Wire Forum

Question on a 97

Lankyframe #44046

My girlfriend is just getting started in this great game and has bought an original 97. After a thorough cleaning she is starting to practice a little with it. Sometimes it's hard to unlock. I can give it a good snap and it unlocks but it's definately different than my two originals. Any thoughts on this? I've compaired the ends of the action bar of hers and mine and they look exactly the same.

Lanky

As you probably know, the gun will not open normally when dry firing. It needs the recoil to properly activate.

That is why they have the little button on the right side of the frame to release the lock.

One possible problem is the spring that activates that. (Part 16)

It is under the fore-arm. Have you cleaned that as well.

It can also be a rough edge on the action slide lock, part 71.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/97parts.htm

Unlikely, but as long as you have it apart and the bolt in your hands take a look at that infamous left side extractor to ensure the long leg is not cracked/broken. Among other symptoms traceable to it is difficulty unlocking the action unless you give it a good snap. However, if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it by prying or bending that long spring leg. It is spring steel and you'll snap it off sure as the sun rises.

If the gun locks up okay it probably is not the Action Slide Lock. I wouldn't bend/adjust it, either unless you know what you are doing.

Hard to diagnose your problem without seeing the weapon. Listen to Marauder...that little lock ring/spring up on the magazine tube is there to prevent hang fires from going off with the weapon out of battery. If you are dry firing, make sure the slide gets a nice snappy forward push home and wait a fraction before trying to operate the slide again.

I believe Marauder may have a lot of info on his web site related to the '97.

Are there any advantages to removing the little button on the right side, so that the action can be opened quicker without having to depress it?

Lankyframe,

Try this - do what you have been doing, dry firing and cycling the gun. When it hangs up (locks up) don't try to snap that action slide back, instead push it forward (as if you were closing the action) HARD and see if that unlocks it and allows it to recycle. If it does, check it out 5 or 6 times by cycling it, but pushing it forward hard every time. If it doesn't lock when you jam it forward, you've probably found the problem. You need to take it apart to where you can take the wooden forearm off the slide (assuming it's a D or E model - check the serial number - you may need a special tool, kind of a wrench, to get the metal end ring off the slide to take the wooden forearm off, I think Brownells sells them). With that off, you can take the action slide off the magazine tube, and there is a tension spring under there that keeps the action slide from slamming into a retaining ridge that's on the magazine tube whenever you cycle the gun. If that spring is too heavy, or too taunt (tight), then when everything is assembled it's hard to slam the action slide forward far enough to disengage everything to let the gun cycle. You can replace the spring or grind it down a little, and it should work. I know that's hard to follow, but once you get the forearm and slide apart, that tension spring should be apparent. It's about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide (don't grind off thickness, grind off width), it encircles the magazine tube, and in that circle it is split along a diagonal and separated a little.

I've done this on a couple of 97's having that problem, hope it makes enough sense to you that you can try it.

Are there any advantages to removing the little button on the right side, so that the action can be opened quicker without having to depress it?

Nope that is what you may have to use to release the action.

And removing it won't help at all.

There is a way to eliminate the lock-up but it is there for safety and is best left in place.

If the gun is properly set up, you probably couldn't tell the difference whether the lock was install or bypassed.

My girlfriend is just getting started in this great game and has bought an original 97. After a thorough cleaning she is starting to practice a little with it. Sometimes it's hard to unlock. I can give it a good snap and it unlocks but it's definately different than my two originals. Any thoughts on this? I've compaired the ends of the action bar of hers and mine and they look exactly the same.

Lanky

Next time it will not unlock when dry firing, press forearm forward a tiny amount then move it rearward as normal.

I think Marauder has it right, we are so used to guns that are so "Cowboy'd up" that a unaltered gun don't seem right.

I just bought a lightly used solid frame that had the same symptom. Cycle the action, pull the trigger, this should unlock the action. If it does not, press the slide forward, you should hear a click. If it clicks this is part 71 (action slide lock) remove and deburr. I also lightly stroked the forward end of the lock with a fine file and knocked the edges down. now it works like a champ even when dry firing.

Also like Newt Ritter suggested you could slim the tension spring to allow a little more movement and get the same results.

Good luck.

Thanks Red,

I provided information for all her gun purchases and let her make up her own mind,.I may not know much about women but I know enough not to make those decisions. She's very excited about the whole thing. Our first match of the season is this Sat.

Lanky

Sounds like you've had enough fun already to make the gun worthwhile. Remember 97s like to be run hard. Good luck to your girl Saturday.

Archived