SASS Wire Forum

Bought a Pedersoli "Quigley" Sharps from Taylor's

Aunt Jen

Hello.

I bought one of these http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1874-sharps-down-under-sport-45-70.html at Winter Range, saved a couple hundred because of the show. Great.

It looks good. I'm seeing an octagonal barrel, case hardened case, patch box...but I need to ask you all about sights.

I think it needs the medium-sized rear-tang site? and a globe front sight with very thin cross hairs in it?

I KNOW this group has experts in it. :)

Per solo makes a fine rifle. The sights they offer... Not so much!

Do a search for Lee Shaver and buy his economy tang sight and his front sight. About the same amount of $$ but leaps and bounds better.

+1

This is what I put on my Pedersoli Heavy Match Target rifle. Hadley cup didn't come with mine but I bought one separate.

Do a search for Lee Shaver and buy his economy tang sight and his front sight. About the same amount of $$ but leaps and bounds better.

Their newer stuff is much better than the junk they put out a few years ago.

MVA sights in Montana make about the best there is.

OLG

You can't go wrong with a Pedersoli. I have a Pedersoli medium tang sight and a Pedersoli globe sight. I wish I would have gotten the front globe with a spirit level in it, as I seem to cant my rifle. I know there are better sights out there, but for the price, my Pedersoli sights work fine, as I can break clay pigeons at 200yds. We don't have much more range around my area. Good luck.

I have a Pedersoli Rolling Block Creedmore .

Excellent rifle ,

And Second to none in fit and finish.

If these rifles was hand built here like they do there .

They would cost about 5,000 each rifle !

MVA sights in Montana make about the best there is.

OLG

Their prices are good too.

Their tang sights have something worth considering. All their staffs interchange with the bases. If you discover you need a long range after buying a mid range, all you need is the long range staff. But more importantly, if you move on to a different rifle later on, all you'll need to buy would be the base to fit the new rifle. If you keep the old rifle, all you need for the new one is a base. I've got a HighWall on order that'll be using the staff I'm presently using for my C.Sharps 1875.

Whatever tang sight you buy, make sure it is really a vernier. Some actually aren't.

The front sights with inserts also are worth getting. As we get older, different fronts can be a challenge. And different types of shooting work better with different fronts. For example, when the target itself is visually smaller than the front post.... an aperture front solves the problem for most.

Whatever sights you get be sure to have someone who knows what they are doing.They need to shoot the same windage wise at the lower adjustment as the highest point.The person that set up mine used a plumbob string & clamped the riflein a vice.We shoot out to 850 yds here & it makes a lot of difference..Good luck on your Shooting It sounds like you are getting well set up...

LARGO

Hello.

I bought one of these http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1874-sharps-down-under-sport-45-70.html at Winter Range, saved a couple hundred because of the show. Great.

It looks good. I'm seeing an octagonal barrel, case hardened case, patch box...but I need to ask you all about sights.

I think it needs the medium-sized rear-tang site? and a globe front sight with very thin cross hairs in it?

I KNOW this group has experts in it. :)

Congrats. I know you've had your eye on one for quite some time. I'm glad you got what you really wanted. The 45-70 is probably my all time favorite round, much to the dismay of quite a few pigs. Now get out there and shoot the hell out of it.

If it's not too personal, can I ask what you paid? That rifle is on my wish list as well.

+1 to Lee.

I got Lee Shaver sites on mine.

Pedersoli USA 431 Long Range Silhouette Diopter (3") has a base height calibrated for Zero MOA base line @ 100yds shooting a 530gr bullet with 70gr BP ... which I like!. Many of the other verniers on the market have bases which require 20 - 40 MOA for a 100yd base line. The USA 431 vernier comes with a 1 MOA upper and 4 MOA lower windage adjustment also. I have this sight on my 45-70 & 45-90 Pedersoli's. No complaints about construction of the vernier. You might want to consider a Hadley Cup Diopter too

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-accessorio.asp/l_en/idpr_146/pre_0/accessories-creedmoors-silhouette-long-range-creedmoor-sight.html

I wish I would have gotten the front globe with a spirit level in it, as I seem to cant my rifle.

Jack,Pedersoli sells a spirit level that goes in the dove tail cut of the rear barrel sight

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=4438

Buy a set of the different colored tubes if you so desire

I was in Carthage Missouri visiting with some of the Wife's kin folk a few years ago and their I was Me and a house full of women. I called Lee Shaver and managed to get him to install his rear sight and a globe front on my

Down Under Pedersoli.

Been happy ever since

Bluewater Ringer has a Pedersoli Quigley in .45-70. Nice rifle. Can't remember what sights he has.

I have a C. Sharps 1875 in .40-65 with Kelley Soule sights. I love them!

I guess one question would be, what are your shooting intentions? Hunting? Long range? Silouhette?

My Kelley Soule would not be good for hunting since by the time I get the rear sight dialed down to 150 yards, all I see is breech, can't see the front sight.

thank you all.

What I've done so far: I see a LOT of good ideas here. I know I'm the beginner here, and you all know your stuff. Unable to decide on merit, I emailed Keri McDonald at Taylor's, who I was pleased with at WR when I bought the rife, and ask her/her team about the one mentioned.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/accesories/sights-accessories/sights/soule-type-long-range-creedmore-professional-set-manufactured-by-pedersoli-model-usa175.html

I've bought this rifle:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1874-sharps-down-under-sport-45-70.html

I'm asking if they can install it before even sending it, to save me the trouble. I'm to receive my sharps in latter March.

I'm very excited about this. I don't hunt. But to me, such a thing reminds me of warm, lazy afternoons among good folks plinking at something. "Plinking" with a .45-70. :) But I'm learning about things involved in that accuracy—a lot of stuff—and it's kind of nice. I think I'm just growing into it. I won't win any awards, that's for sure. But I will enjoy the doing of it, and that's what it's all about, for me.

Thank you all. I'll report ...

BTW:

The nice man at Winter Range who let me shoot his Sharps was Pecker Bird. I looked into the wire, searched..., and I don't find anything by him. I thought I'd PM him and thank him for letting me shoot his rifle. 2 shots,and I was done, but it had a steel butt, and no padding. :)

If anyone knows him, please thank him for me?

While BP is seen as a "hassle" by some it is actually much easier on your shoulder. It burns fast to create the gas pressure. So you get more of a strong push against your shoulder. Smokeless "explodes" so you get an instantaneous snap or recoil.

As to the front sight insert. Again talk to experienced shooters. Cross hairs aren't used much. Usually the circle that covers the whole target and or a post that is held at 6 o'clock at the bottom edge of the target.

But again, use what your eyes can see.

Ike

thank you all.

What I've done so far: I see a LOT of good ideas here. I know I'm the beginner here, and you all know your stuff. Unable to decide on merit, I emailed Keri McDonald at Taylor's, who I was pleased with at WR when I bought the rife, and ask her/her team about the one mentioned.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/accesories/sights-accessories/sights/soule-type-long-range-creedmore-professional-set-manufactured-by-pedersoli-model-usa175.html

I've bought this rifle:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1874-sharps-down-under-sport-45-70.html

I'm asking if they can install it before even sending it, to save me the trouble. I'm to receive my sharps in latter March.

I'm very excited about this. I don't hunt. But to me, such a thing reminds me of warm, lazy afternoons among good folks plinking at something. "Plinking" with a .45-70. :) But I'm learning about things involved in that accuracy—a lot of stuff—and it's kind of nice. I think I'm just growing into it. I won't win any awards, that's for sure. But I will enjoy the doing of it, and that's what it's all about, for me.

Thank you all. I'll report ...

Keri is great to deal with. I needed a 44-40 barrel for a Pedersoli Lightning rifle to replace a .45 and she got right on it. I had tried two other sources to no avail. Sure enough she got it done and I now have another 44-40 Lightning.

For me, reloading BP is a bit more involved than smokeless. Smokeless I run through my progressive press but BP is done on single stage.

Prime 100 cases.

Drop tissue paper round into each case.

Measuring out each load of powder on a digital scale, dropping through a drop tube into each individual case. Counting the 6 seconds to pour the powder into the drop tube.

Press .030 fiber wad into each case.

Compress load in each case.

Seat bullet in each case.

But the reward and satisfaction of the 'push' of recoil, the cloud of smoke, the smell of BP and hearing that 'gong' is well worth the effort.

I have a .30-06 with a Kick-Eze recoil pad that I can maybe shoot 40 rounds per day out of before my shoulder says 'Enough'.

My .40-65 with a hard butt plate, I can shoot all day long. I shot 85 rounds in one day a couple of weeks ago and didn't have an issue.

Well, on reloading BP for the .45-70 sharps of this thread, would it be better to use my Dillon 550 instead? Changing the dyes?

(I have one, have not yet used it. Just getting into it for .45 LC. I'm collecting bits: primers next.)

Smokeless "explodes" so you get an instantaneous snap or recoil.

Smokeless powder does not explode. It is a progressively burning propellant. The more the pressure builds, the faster it burns. It may seem like an explosion, but it is not. Black Powder, on the other hand, is a true low powered explosive. The perceived 'push' of Black Powder depends entirely on the load.

Jen. Whether or not you can load 45-70 on your 550 depends on whether there is space for the longer cartridge between the bottom of the dies and the shell plate. There is plenty of space on my Hornady Lock & Load AP to load 45-70 if I wanted to, but I prefer to load 45-70 one at a time on a single stage press. Loading for long range is not the same as loading for Main Match pistol or rifle cartridges. You go through a lot of ammo at the Main Match, so you want the ability to load a lot of ammo quickly. Long range is entirely different. You don't go through the quantity of ammo for long range that you do for Main Match. Plenty of time to 'hand craft' each round. I usually only load about 60 rounds when I load 45-70 with Black Powder. that is more than enough for any time I get my Sharps out. I usually load 45-70 in two sessions, session one I size and deprime the brass on my single stage press, then I prime by hand with a hand priming tool, usually while watching TV. Then I come back the next day and pour in the powder, using a drop tube, seat a card wad, compress the powder and the wad with a compression die, and lastly I seat and crimp a bullet. Nice and slow and enjoyable all the way. Much simpler to do all that stuff on a single stage press than on a progressive.

Have you ordered that book I suggested yet? It will explain everything.

Archived