SASS Wire Forum

Last round hanging up...

Jess Money

After taking down my .357 Taylor's '73 for a thorough cleaning, I reassembled it and fed ten dummy rounds through the action. The tenth round hung up on the carrier. Hmm. This had never happened before. The rifle had always fed fine in the past. I took the carrier out and checked it for any sign of burrs even though I knew I wouldn't find any.

I removed the .38 cal. smooth cycle aluminum sleeve, spring and follower from the magazine and looking closely, found the problem. I have a dot of red Magic Marker on one the end of the aluminum sleeve so I know that end always goes in first. The stainless steel follower was being hung up on a burr at the inside edge of the sleeve at that end and was holding the follower back just enough to prevent spring tension from pushing the final round all the way into the carrier.

Apparently, when I was cleaning the parts I'd removed from the the rifle, I must have dinged the end of the sleeve with something on my work bench causing that burr. I don't see how soft lead bullets could have turned up a burr inside the sleeve so I had to have caused the burr myself by accident. I de-burred and slightly chamfered the edge of the tube and made sure the follower would pass through from one end to the other. I loaded the rifle and cycled the dummies through the action and it now feeds like it's supposed to.

The culprit might be one of the cartridges.

Aluminum is softer than the brass case. If a brass cases has a flat spot or bur on the rim of the case, it could gouge the aluminum. There by raising the aluminum up just enough to stop the round.

Cleaning up the magazine tube will fix the issue but be prepared for it to happen again or inspect every cartridge rim for burs, flat spots or nicks.

Our brass mornally is ejected and hits the ground where any sort of damage tot he rim may occur.

Thanks for your response, Cliff Hanger! Another good piece of information concerning the aluminum sleeve kit. I wonder how many other users have experienced this condition in the past?

Archived