SASS Wire Forum

Guess that new Marine 1911 isn't so great after all...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is a shooters?

Probably means that some like to just fire many many rounds with the hope of hitting something whereas some may wish to be able to hit their target the first time or without the expense of many rounds.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Probably means that some like to just fire many many rounds with the hope of hitting something whereas some may wish to be able to hit their target the first time or without the expense of many rounds.

Thanks,

For the purpose of Personal Self Defense or war, I believe I would prefer a dependable, hi capacity semi/full auto 'sprayer' firearm.

For Bully Eye shooting, Camp Perry, trap/skeet, hunting, then I want more of a non semi auto 'shooter' firearm (revolver, bolt action rifle, over/under/single barrel SG and all with adjustable/optic sights.

Thanks,

For the purpose of Personal Self Defense or war, I believe I would prefer a dependable, hi capacity semi/full auto 'sprayer' firearm.

For Bully Eye shooting, Camp Perry, trap/skeet, hunting, then I want more of a non semi auto 'shooter' firearm (revolver, bolt action rifle, over/under/single barrel SG and all with adjustable/optic sights.

To each is own and according to their shooting needs and/or desires. The 1911 easily has proved itself as sufficient in a few big wars. That speaks volumes IMHO.

So why was the .45 ACP adopted in the first place...?

From Wiki (a synopsis of much I've read over the years):

"They [the Army] determined the .38 caliber round was significantly less effective against determined opponents, such as the warriors encountered in the Moro Rebellion of the Philippine–American War, than the .45 Colt...

"This experience, and the Thompson-LaGarde Tests of 1904 led the Army and the Cavalry, to decide a minimum of .45 caliber was required in the new handgun.

"Thompson and Major Louis Anatole LaGarde of the Medical Corps arranged tests on cadavers and animal remains in the Chicago stockyards, resulting in the finding that .45 was the most effective pistol cartridge.

"They noted, however, training was critical to make sure a soldier could score a hit in a vulnerable part of the body."

Which takes us back to the value of marksmanship.

The .38 didn't do the job, so we upgraded to the .45, then downgraded to the 9mm (".38 short!") and back to the .45 and now everyone's so danged confused they don't know WHAT they want. :wacko:

Archived