SASS Wire Forum

Guess that new Marine 1911 isn't so great after all...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me like the youngsters were lacking in training. And how do you grip a 1911 so the "beavertail grip safety" won't disengage...?? :huh:

So transfer 'em to the CMP~! :)

Could be they picked the wrong 1911. Should have chosen the Combat NCO. I know the creator and have seen these things in action. Going to get my SA 1911A1 upgraded soon.

Sounds to me like the youngsters were lacking in training. And how do you grip a 1911 so the "beavertail grip safety" won't disengage...?? :huh:

So transfer 'em to the CMP~! :)

I have yet to figure out how to grip my or my old service 1911 in a way that the beavertail won't engage and still have any hope of being able to fire it. Poor trainers. Oh wait, Marines. Now I understand. :D

$22.5 million for 10k pistols is $2250 each!

I believe in ours being the best equipped soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen, but Does anyone else see a problem with this?

How about a $1000 1911 with some features and an extra $1250 of training?

Howdy:

Maybe they are holding them with their feet. The other items - jam O'Matic - are true if you have wrists made of marshmallow. - a firm grip stops 90% of stovepipes etc.

Back to the training area and start over with a 1911 - a real gun.

STL Suomi

If the training was so bad, God help them. The Glock won't fix anything except it is simpler with no manual safety. Maybe that'll help em. I doubt it. I find the whole affair ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I could opine that the Marines don't even need MARSOC and it has been problematic from the git go. But I won't. The article was a hatchet job on the 1911 for sure. Not a lot of research went into it.

Anyway Army Special Forces would be glad to take the hand-me-down 45s.

Oy!

I believe in ours being the best equipped soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen, but Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Government contracts are usually about 50% for equipment; 50% for training, support, repair services, supplies, and spare parts; and 25% for fees, bribes, and profit.

I have never handled or fired a Glock. My "training" with the M1911A1 was all self-taught (USAF had them in 1964 at ROTC summer camp, but switched to those stupid Navy surplus M10's by the time I entered active duty in 1965). But I taught myself to shoot with Dad's Remington-Rand. Target accuracy? Heck NO! The thing rattles when you shake it. EXACTLY WHAT I WANT! It will go through mud, and still come up shooting! :) Wonder if the Corps has considered that. The only advantage to the Glock might be that higher capacity magazine, especially when you are in a "target-rich" situation, as has apparently happened a lot in "'Hafghanistan"! Frankly, outside of 25 yds (meters?), I'd sure want a rifle! The thing about the beavertail grip safety on the Marine 1911 that I can see might create problems with gloves is the much larger "tail" than on the old M1911A1. Personally, I'll take "Ol' Slabside"!

You haven't seen the movie Independece Day, have you?

Most of the excuses for "difficult handling, stove piping unable to handle the grip safety" are traced directly to the number of women being included in the testing samples. Without special training, they do not have the arm and hand strength required for these weapons to operate correctly.

Same reason the 9mm is prefered over the 10mm by police departments.

Someday you guys will realize how much more superior the Glock is to the 1911.

I suppose it's a good gun, since half of the Police Depts. in the country seem to use them. I've shot a Glock before. Can't say I liked it. I can say that I like a 1911. I have one for my everyday carry gun.

Equal? Maybe. Superior? I don't think so.

I also had a Glock for a very short period. Fortunately the seller allowed me to trade it in for a P90 Ruger. I traded the P90 for a 41 Mag black Hawk and my life as a revolver man began.

Now, I have nothing against Mr. Glock's pistol. I carried one for years and had complete confidence in it. I trained my people very well and had confidence in their ability to safely use it.

My point is that:

A. The article about the many faults is a bs hatchet job.

B. I guarantee if you limp wrist a Gock it will also malfunction

C. I think there are some serious training issues involved. And if the training is below par with the Glock there will be some operators who send a round into themselves or a fellow Marine

D. I think that if the Marines have had problems with the 1911 for the past hundred years, these hideous deficiencies would have made them dump it years ago.

E. I smell a rat.

I will watch the developments with interest.

*>Comment Withheld<* :rolleyes:

Heck... I think it's a fairly handsome piece! ^_^

coltmarinesmall.jpg

*>Comment Withheld<* :rolleyes:

Heck... I think it's a fairly handsome piece! ^_^

coltmarinesmall.jpg

Well I won't! :-) Looks like someone snagged that one out of a Juarez cathouse! :-)

Most of the excuses for "difficult handling, stove piping unable to handle the grip safety" are traced directly to the number of women being included in the testing samples. Without special training, they do not have the arm and hand strength required for these weapons to operate correctly.

Same reason the 9mm is prefered over the 10mm by police departments.

You in a heap'ah trouble, boy!!! :-() >:-$ :-) I imagine the Penagon could take up production of the Russian Makarov in .380acp and issue them to "those of smaller stature." The Mak is a proven battlefield weapon and the original 9mm Russian cartridge (9x18mm) is essentially the same as the .380acp (9x17mm) / (9mm Kurz) / (9mm Short). I say this knowing that will not happen.

Noz has obviously never seen those "smaller stature" ladies shoot IPSC, Three Gun, or a bunch of other competitive shooting venues. Most being shot with 1911s. I also worked with a number of female PD officers who carried and preferred the 1911. Ignorance of reality is often bliss.

Coffinmaker

No, THIS one looks like someone snagged that one out of a Juarez cathouse!

2012-06-04-gold-1911-med.jpg

Yeah, now that one looks like obama's personal carry.

Now, I have nothing against Mr. Glock's pistol. I carried one for years and had complete confidence in it. I trained my people very well and had confidence in their ability to safely use it.

My point is that:

A. The article about the many faults is a bs hatchet job.

B. I guarantee if you limp wrist a Gock it will also malfunction

C. I think there are some serious training issues involved. And if the training is below par with the Glock there will be some operators who send a round into themselves or a fellow Marine

D. I think that if the Marines have had problems with the 1911 for the past hundred years, these hideous deficiencies would have made them dump it years ago.

E. I smell a rat.

I will watch the developments with interest.

RIGHT ON BOB.

Noz has obviously never seen those "smaller stature" ladies shoot IPSC, Three Gun, or a bunch of other competitive shooting venues. Most being shot with 1911s. I also worked with a number of female PD officers who carried and preferred the 1911. Ignorance of reality is often bliss.

Coffinmaker

It's all in the training. I had some female officrs who had difficulty initially with the 9mm and 45 Glocks. With proper instruction they were able to perform on an equal level with the men.

All the black plastic shooter types that come in the gunshop/range I work at part time are totally amazed when they shoot a 1911 for the first time. We usually have a couple for rent. After they shoot a 1911 at least half of them wind with one or two. I've shot Glocks and owned a few and they're okay, easy to take apart and clean but for me they're boxy, kinda ugly and I don't like the trigger. I'd take a 1911 anyday!

:rolleyes:

Got a couple of each.

Carried a 1911 as a LEO. It saved my life.

Guess what I still carry. ;)

OLG

Do your Glocks have an equal to or greater than reliability rate compared to your 1911's? If so, then they (glock) would have saved your life equally or better than as well. Better than is a mere mathematical statistic analysis which includes percentage of reliability, ammo capacity, accuracy, and whatever else you want to throw into the kettle..

1911's have a wonderful history, they also have their short comings.

I view Glocks and most other plastic guns in general as tools. The various Glock platforms are very good tools for various self defense situations.

Carry and shoot whatever makes you warm and fuzzy.

Archived