SASS Wire Forum

Shooting accommodations

Hopalong Mac McLin

Pards....I shot my first CAS match at Wartrace a couple of weeks ago and have been chomping at the bit to shoot again. However, the weather has not cooperated....rain, snow. Unfortunately, I am having my hip resurfaced on Monday and will be out of commission for a while. My plan is to get back to shooting as quickly as possible once I am able to get off of the walker. At 59, this is a bit hard to accept. My question, does Wartrace and Vulcan, which are the only clubs close enough to shoot on Saturday, give any accommodation or special assistance to us Hoppys? Not interested in anything other than just allowing me to shoot as long as I can get from one staging area to another without falling or causing any safety issues. No definite plans, but looking at my options. Thanks to the guys at Wartrace and Vulcan who have all be extremely helpful.....In fact, you SASS guys are the best. Everyone is always willing to give advice and to help. I have picked up some great guns and some really cool clothes. Thanks to all of you guys....you know who you are.

Hi Mac,

I hope your recovery is swift.

Most clubs will do whatever they can to help. I've had to have help staging my guns as I could only carry one at a time. I've seen someone help the shooter move from position to position as the shooter had trouble walking. I don't know why you couldn't use a walker to shoot if the terrain allowed. If you had to carry a long gun from one position to another, someone could do that for you. One of my friends had a frozen shoulder and her spouse shot the SG for her or she could have taken the misses.

There are many infirmities and just as many ways to accommodate them. Most folks are willing to help.

Best wishes,

Allie

I only got to shoot Wartrace twice but I know a few who belong there and that club will do whatever is necessary to make sure you have a good time at whatever pace you can shoot at.

I have needed help getting guns to and from shooting positions, family and friends have been there for me. I use a three wheeled electric cart to scoot around from stage to stage. I have travelled from California to Louisiana and found every club to be accomodating, and cowboys and cowgirls to be very helpfull. I now use a walker to get about the house and can think of quite a few stages I have shot over the years that would be difficult to get around on, but I do know there would be people to help everywhere I've been if I decided to try.

It does help if you have a shooting buddy you can discuss things with and be prepared to maybe assist you at problem places along the way.

I regularly shoot at one club where there is a shooter that has severe mobility issues. He usually shoots off of a stool set where he can see all or at least most of the targets. If he cannot see them all he will simply shoot another appropriate target (rifle for rifle, pistol for pistol, sg for sg).

I suppose to be official he should be assessed a procedural, but he usually is in a category by himself and seldom shoots stages under 90 seconds so it would not affect standings either way.

I would be surprised if any club would not make similar accommodations.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Thanks to all. I feel confident that the good folks at Wartrace and Vulcan would be as accommodating as possible. My pard El Viejo Lobo I am sure will assist if necessary. I don't plan on coming back, however, until I can at least Hop along. I am slow enough as it is. :D

You should come to the Long Range matches at Wartrace on 4th Saturdays until you are healed up; not a lot of movement just shooting. I can't make the one this Saturday but I am going to try to get to the one in March.

most every place ive shot they always set the possies up to allow the competitive to enjoy their game and those with issues to enjoy theirs , nothing worse than feeling like your holding up or hampering the speedy ones , but as you have already noticed their are not many SASS shooters that you will bump into that wont be helpful to any and all , the best people are SASS people

I've never heard of a club that wouldn't want to be helpful. While there is always a focus on safety, the reason most of us are here is to enjoy. We're all going through this life together. Sometimes we help others; sometimes others help us. I really think we as a group do get that.

If i may suggest, go to the club of your choice and share your needs. :).

I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Hi Mac,

I hope your recovery is swift.

Most clubs will do whatever they can to help. I've had to have help staging my guns as I could only carry one at a time. I've seen someone help the shooter move from position to position as the shooter had trouble walking. I don't know why you couldn't use a walker to shoot if the terrain allowed. If you had to carry a long gun from one position to another, someone could do that for you. One of my friends had a frozen shoulder and her spouse shot the SG for her or she could have taken the misses.

There are many infirmities and just as many ways to accommodate them. Most folks are willing to help.

Best wishes,

Allie

Now that's the Cowboy Way

Pards....I shot my first CAS match at Wartrace a couple of weeks ago and have been chomping at the bit to shoot again. However, the weather has not cooperated....rain, snow. Unfortunately, I am having my hip resurfaced on Monday and will be out of commission for a while. My plan is to get back to shooting as quickly as possible once I am able to get off of the walker. At 59, this is a bit hard to accept. My question, does Wartrace and Vulcan, which are the only clubs close enough to shoot on Saturday, give any accommodation or special assistance to us Hoppys? Not interested in anything other than just allowing me to shoot as long as I can get from one staging area to another without falling or causing any safety issues. No definite plans, but looking at my options. Thanks to the guys at Wartrace and Vulcan who have all be extremely helpful.....In fact, you SASS guys are the best. Everyone is always willing to give advice and to help. I have picked up some great guns and some really cool clothes. Thanks to all of you guys....you know who you are.

Mac, sorry to not reply sooner but I only have computer access at night. You should have no problem at Wartrace other than this crappy weather we've been having. We'll help you however we can. Sorry I had to work and didn't get to make the last match. Hope everything goes well and come on out to Wartrace as soon as you're able.

Randy

At EOT last year It was the second or third match in a the years since I wrecked my hog and broke my leg up. I used an electric scooter to move from the parking lot to the range and berm to berm and around town like I've done most of the time because of my back in the past now it's the leg and back. I used a cane to get around the berm on the first day or so. By the end I was able to walk to the lt and the line and to the ut where my scooter was parked. One of the younger shooters assisted me by carrying my long guns from the scooter to the lt and the lt to the line some one usually carried them to the ut for me. I cleared them and secured them to the cart on the scooter. By the last day I no longer needed the cane on the line. I just was confident in my walking when I got there. As I gain the confidence in my movement and shooting again my times improved. No where as fast as I was once but not as slow as I was when I started the first stage.

I shot in ga and do to the weather my scooter was inoperative. I used a club cart and walked berm to berm I was given a ride to the clubhouse and back at lunch. I stepped in a depression during the day with my bad leg and paid for it for over a week. Normally a one day match will take me a couple days to recover from, a multi day match about a week so no back to back matches for me yet. I hope to shoot more this year and hope the down time will be less between shooting and normal.

Must clubs will do what you need and the same goes with posses. Once you feel you ready to shoot show up if it happens your wrong no one will think less of you if you bow out of the shooting early and or leave early. Just remeber not to shoot impaired.

After I broke my legs, I found out that SASS (CAS) folks are the BEST folks. Anything I needed, they saw it and had it taken care of. Get out and shoot. Or, if you can't shoot, go to visit. That's the main reason anybody be there.

Archived