SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range --- Report

Aunt Jen

Lol!! Griz and Miz Griz gave me some good movie ideas, today. And now I have them on my mind. When I get home, I'll have to watch them.

I wondered what FRIDAY would be like, and now I know!

A LOT

first, on my 7:00 am arrival, someone's saddled horse decided it was time to explore his freedom, broke away and trotted west between rows of horseless carriages. No doubt looking for Ranfolph Scott. Someone yelled from the east to catch her, which woulda been my joy, but I was far too slow. Time for a guy to brush up on his cowboy, so he jumped on another horse and lit out after her.

And---I don't even know--a Dozen ?? hot air balloons FLOATED RIGHT BY beautiful as you please!! I wanted to get a photo, Sobieski ran up to Stage #4. a cowboy was walking away from it who looked good, too, so I hollered, "Stop! Stop!". He did, and I clicked off a GOOD PHOTO on my phone. He asked what I was doing, so I told him, "Look!". I pointed to the balloon over and behind the stage, and he enjoyed it. :).

The people have been SO NICE. Honest. People seem happy to be here, and all on the same page. The tone is careful, considerate, kind. I have not seen anyone unkind at all to anyone.

Folks are all shooting well--and better than I. This one gal, just mow on our last of the day, BROKE THE SHITGUN TARGET. She did nothing wrong. It gets shot for a living, and the center bolt broke, the disk fell off. Posse's reaction was. "Don't Mske HER mad!" in good natured fun. Then when officials came to replace it, they said in humor, "Alright! Who broke it!?". And all in the posse said, "I did! He did! She did!..". All had a good laugh, and we lauded each other for team spirit.

It's been that way all week: sage, business-like, but also happy.

Really: my shooting today was a little better than yesterday.

ALRIGHT YOU RELOADERS: BREAK OUT THE TYLENOL. I finally agreed to RELOAD, use my dillon 550 for Something besides a hat rack. And I bought bullets and powder to match. Anyone kmow a good therapist?

On LONG RANGE, I've learned from Ol' # 4 that the 1-18 twist in a sharps will likely not stabilize a 405 well enough in a .45-70 for me to use. I'd likely need to go ahead with the 525, and I dint like the kick there. Maybe do it with BP? Or Whaddya all think of a .40-65 ??? Cartridge availability? OR .38-55?? Same? I need to learn about cartridge availability and ALSO reloading efficacy and parts

I HAVE PICTURES. !!!

I will post then after I get back, as I can't from my phone.

Used to shoot 45-70. Went to 38-55 and never looked back. Even with factory loads, it's not near as bad as the 45-70. There are some good loads using "TrailBoss" too. JMHO

I JUST BOUGHT A PETERSOLI QUIGLEY SHARPS in .45-70!!!! Let the I told me so's begin! I weighed a lot of very good info and ---- well, it is rainy, this morning, here at WR, and there was nothing else to do (my set stages begin at 11:00 today),...

Nothing so trivial. But I went with it because it's versatile, good, common, hits hardest but most accurate with the 525 gr when needed, but can shoot 405 when not so important.... And it leaves me room to grow.

Good or bad, it's paid for. Had half a dozen guys here with ALL KINDS of good info----who are probably all happy I finally chose SOMETGNG!! :)

I should be able to get a lot of humor off it. I think I'll mount sticks to a wheel barrel to carry it around.

It's rainy this a.m. Not much, more like intermittent sprinkles--no! RAINING right now in big tent----OUTSIDE! I'm in tge big tent. Cart has to stay outside, and I have a plastic rain poncho over cart.

Raining harder

Costume judging soon.

Congrats on the new shooter. I have several on my list but not the budget right now. I am on late shift but will arrive early with the new guncart I just built. Naturally my old cart I used the last two days has an umbrella and the new one doesn't yet.

I JUST BOUGHT A PETERSOLI QUIGLEY SHARPS in .45-70!!!! Let the I told me so's begin! I weighed a lot of very good info and ---- well, it is rainy, this morning, here at WR, and there was nothing else to do (my set stages begin at 11:00 today),...

Nothing so trivial. But I went with it because it's versatile, good, common, hits hardest but most accurate with the 525 gr when needed, but can shoot 405 when not so important.... And it leaves me room to grow.

Good or bad, it's paid for. Had half a dozen guys here with ALL KINDS of good info----who are probably all happy I finally chose SOMETGNG!! :)

I should be able to get a lot of humor off it. I think I'll mount sticks to a wheel barrel to carry it around.

It's rainy this a.m. Not much, more like intermittent sprinkles--no! RAINING right now in big tent----OUTSIDE! I'm in tge big tent. Cart has to stay outside, and I have a plastic rain poncho over cart.

Raining harder

Costume judging soon.

Congratulations on the purchase.

You can't go wrong with a Pedersoli. Don't worry about the different bullet weights. Depending on distances you shoot at, you can use anything from 350 grains to 525. Plenty of time to figure that out.

Hopefully the rain will stop soon, as my wife and I are on the 2 PM rotation today. You did make me look out of the motel window though!

Saturday at Winter Range: Rained early this morning. First wave of posses (8:00-11:00) had everything from light rain to downpour(s). Second wave (11:00-2:00) was a bit drier. I shot third wave (2:00-5:00) and we were pretty much in the sun for our shoot. Blackjack Zak came out with a garden hose and told us "you're all going to get wet like the rest of them…" but he chickened out. :) Great event all around… RR

I like 38-55 but like was said each gun is different enough that loading is trial and error. I use it for plainsman mainly so accuracy isn't that important. Heck I acci shot 30-06 smokeless once through it and hit every target on the two stages it was shot. I grabed the wrong ammo box.

Saturday at Winter Range: Rained early this morning. First wave of posses (8:00-11:00) had everything from light rain to downpour(s). Second wave (11:00-2:00) was a bit drier. I shot third wave (2:00-5:00) and we were pretty much in the sun for our shoot. Blackjack Zak came out with a garden hose and told us "you're all going to get wet like the rest of them…" but he chickened out. :) Great event all around… RR

Downpour is a relative term. Several years ago we had three solid days of real downpours. Had water so deep it ran over the top of my knee high boots while shooting and sticking in 6 inches of mud on last stage. Wife lost both Earthwalker boots in mud while shooting last stage. A spotter and the RO has to grab each arm to get her from position to position. 4 stages were stopped as unsafe.

Last year, last 3 stages it was raining so hard it was hard to see the targets a few times. The warm up match 1st shift last year had about 20 shooters per stage. My son's posse combined with the one ahead and had 6 combined shooters when they finished 4 stages.

Nothing today was even close to that.

Oh, and I did learn a lot about SASS rain preparedness. I shot Mid, tofay, 11-2. I went out there basically unprepared. Was mist, sprinkles, some rain at times. But I got wet and cold with no rain coat. I had one light yellow plastic poncho, but I put it over my guns, which may have helped some. Then they got rained on while I was at the loading table anyway.

I LEARNED: #1 bring large plastic garbage bags to put over cart. Works better and cheaper. #2. Bring old west rain coat for self. After the match, I went to a vendor and bought a water proof 1880 replica fishing slicker. NOW IM READY, for next time. So it was good: I learned something.

ALSO.........I HAD A SQUIB. !!!!!

Aaaaajhh!! On my last stage, #12, right NRV came out, and 1st shot: SQUIB. Timer immediately stopped me. He was sharp. I finished, but had to take 5 MISSES. At the unloading table, I used a rod up the muzzle and moved NRV down onto table to back the bullet out. 5 MISSES FIR A MECHANICAL. Oughta be a law. Where's a crooked sheriff when u need one? Kidding.

AND. AND. AND. to finish my Winter Range off, I was lounging in the big tent, and caught WYATT EARP, titular grand nephew, do a GREAT one man play as WYATT explaining his life. He's an actor, and he did a great job. After we'd practiced running off rustlers, robbbers and ne'er do wells for 3 days, it was a pleasant end to my WR. I recommend him if you get the chance, sometimes.

So I bought the Petersoli

I wasn't done, on this phone, with that post. It posted itself.

So I bought the Petersoli Quigley Sharps through Taylor's. I should get it sometime in march. I'll be pleased to practice different loads...

OVERALL, I had a great time at WR. I got my costume judged, for fun. Shot CG. Saw a lot. Met a LOT of good folks, some I'd met earlier on this Wire, Ithers anew. Spent TOOO. MUUUCH MOOONEY. Had perfect weather mist if Tge time. Learned about SASS rain. Had my first SQUIB. Had a great posse. Got to meet Griz n Miz Griz for the first time, got good movie tips, too. Ate good food. Got entertained.

It couldn't have been better if Tom Sellick had------ WELL, I don't know if I should go that far. :)

For those who have not gone, yet, I do recommend it. The stages were great, attitude was great. Atmosphere was great...

I consider it one of my great experiences in life. I think I was in the mood for it,,open to it, and it was up to it as well.

I WILL POST PHOTOS MAYBE TOMORROW.

Oh, and I did learn a lot about SASS rain preparedness. I shot Mid, tofay, 11-2. I went out there basically unprepared. Was mist, sprinkles, some rain at times. But I got wet and cold with no rain coat. I had one light yellow plastic poncho, but I put it over my guns, which may have helped some. Then they got rained on while I was at the loading table anyway.

I LEARNED: #1 bring large plastic garbage bags to put over cart. Works better and cheaper. #2. Bring old west rain coat for self. After the match, I went to a vendor and bought a water proof 1880 replica fishing slicker. NOW IM READY, for next time. So it was good: I learned something.

I've heard so much about WR that I hope we get to make it sometime in the future. ^_^

We were on our vacation last year and headed up to the North Dakota/South Dakota state championship when we saw rain was in the forecast. Started thinking about the garbage bags and pulled into Home Depot. Then it hit me- a BBQ pit cover. Found one with the basic shape to fit the cart for only $10. Works fantastic, won't tear, and it's rolled it up and tied it down on the cart full time. (like a bedroll or slicker on the back of a saddle). Looks kinda cool and is always there IF needed. :)

Well Aunt Jen... If you haven't been able to check scores yet...

You can go home and tell everyone you got 6th place in the National Championships for your first time as a Classic Cowgirl!

Ha, lol. Yes, I saw that. 6th of 8. I have a lot of room for improvement, but I think I may have earned a belt buckle. :)

The 45 is a good caliber. 170 is a good grain, but I do need to work on one-handing it, and my style seems to focus more on careful movement, rather than speed. I'll look at that over time.

I don't see the costume contest results yet on the site, neither for costume results or the results page. I'll keep looking, as I was judged for working costume.

Archived