SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range --- Report

Aunt Jen

Hello all,

There has been so much about WR, weather...., that I thought I'd share.

I HAVE PICTURES, but on my phone. I don't know how to upload to photobucket yet. Will add them later.

It's Wednesday. The weather here at the range is PERFECT: imagine perfect temperature, 1 knott breeze, no dust, totally blue skies---the most perfect Spring day you ever saw.

Side matches are on, and a LOT more.

Me: I met with Jim Bowie who spent some time with my guns. Always good to see him.

I went to the LR range and watched, and a man LET ME SHOOT HIS SHARPS .45-70 TWICE in smokeless with NO PAD on the butt. It was some 500 or so bullet. RECOIL: yes. It had a heavy barrel. Felt less than a full 12 gauge, but not much. Felt it first shot; a little pain 2nd. But if I owned one, I would put a sissy pad on it and use a shoulder pad, and it would be fine. FIRING: 300 yards, I missed it both times, but I'm sure he wet his pants. If I practiced, I'd do better.

I showed 2 elderly couples around, shared what it's all about.

I shot some fast draw-- not as a side match. My times averaged .921 seconds. First time there, too.

Activity is building. I saw Griz for the first time. You see folks greeting each other jovially.

On my first (of 2) lunch, 3 Pards cslled me to sit with them----turned out they r from NORWAY where they also shoot SASS. Oooofta! :). I reviewed old west history as well as Bob Hope ever learned it, and learned they dint shoot SASS in parkas 'cause they only do it in the summer. And, no, bullets do not fragment into bird shot from the cold. They seem to laugh a lot.

Overall, I'm seeing a first class range and 12 stages, perfect weather, good food, good folks happy to be here.

Will advise...

And u kmow what struck me the most?

Walking over to get some lunch------

It was so serene. There were cowboys/girls sitting at tables in peaceful conversations, real, native scrub trees growing as if right out of the old west, tents, stages, food vendors charbroiling and sending delicious smoke nearby...and a lovely, calm country-ish song being played out of a speaker that hovered over the area.

When I put up some photos next week, after I get home, you may wonder why I took photos of a confiments wagon: because it played the music.

Something about it struck a chord w me.

I'll leave more report info as the week progresses.

I truly hope your first WR goes better than mine.

People met a group of new friends

Shooting on the second stage of the match I hit my empty shotgun barrel on an upright prop knocking it out of my hand and it fell to the ground not breaking the 170, iirc sdq

Weather first day cool in the morning which we shot that day. Second day the weather was perfect, the last day ir pour rain so much that we shot the whole day in rain and on some stages the berms were knee deep in water. Then they pull the middle four stages because a top shooter fell. That was my best stages of the match since it was our second day.

I hope you keep the nice weather for the next three days, just shoot each target since the extra second you take to make sure you hit the target is still faster than the five seconds you lose for a miss. One of the best matches I ever placed in was when I shot it clean. It will surprise you that shootimg clean realy moves you up in rank point matches. Don't spend too much money at the vendors but do support them as that will probably be the best sutlers camp that you'll see in this area. It is usually better than EOT because WR has a larger non shooting populace than EOT.

Thanks for the report, look forward to reading more.

I'm jealous, I want to be there!

Oh Well! One of these days! :P

Frenchy

We, the wife and I, spent the day at WR also. Talked to a couple of pards I know and was in the process of buying some of those fancy ear plugs when I saw Grizzly Dave walk past in real life - was gonna yell at him but was up for getting fitted and didn't see him again. Never met him before but was surprised at how short he is. Also ordered a shotshell belt from JAX as they didn't have one in the size I wanted hanging. Guess I got over to the long range stuff too late as there were only a few guys shooting - too bad cause it was something I really wanted to take in so I might get ready for next year.

Ooohhhhhhhh!! ;)

I DO admit to it! :)

THURSDAY: nice day also. Most of us are aware there is a chance of rain Saturday and a good chance for Sunday.

I was nit successful with taking my own advice not to get nervous. My first 2 stages were not so good, even when compared to my usual un-blazing speed. I know I am not going to place high--- Low? One of the better scores. And folks are nice. But it's hard to miss the competing air at the Nationsls. So during my first two stages, I'm up there, shooting, and I notice some posse members going out for pizza, coming back, playing cards.... Then I finally get done, and it's someone else's turn. :(. But I came back to myself by the third stage. Kept my score in the three figures, anyway. :)

From what I see, were not picking up any shells ejected. Sweep them off the board sidewalk and keep going. No brass pickets. But I keep my brass from revolvers.

We got our posse picture taken after our 4th stage today, and they did a posse after us, so I don't guess we broke it. Got 2 dogs in our pic, too---well, they shot better'n I did, and they were friendly.

I had a double-decker ice cream, but that's okay. Nothing has calories in the old west. No one, not no one in the old west documentaries--- Clevon Little, gene Wilder, Seth McFarlane, John Wayne---NOBODY ever mentioned 'em, so I'm sure I'm safe. And I am sure Seth woulda said something.

I got to spend some time w Griz n Miz Griz this afternoon, magnets for good greetings from others who know them, and what I'm struck with is the feeling of familiarity---I assume from Griz' posts here. And that's nice.

On the atmosphere at WR, I thought I'd share as well as I could. Hope I don't give wrong impression. Maybe it's just me. Maybe my impressions are wrong. But I'm sharing faithfully.

Always kind--good folks on a good range...--to me it seems the jovial feeling of Tues/Wed on greeting all has merged somewhat with the business of shooting the stages. Still friendly, with good humor well represented, there seems to be a little more in the area of shooting...to be expected. Maybe a little more serious today---or is it me, as I do feel tired. Not from shooting, as we only do 4 stages a day. But maybe I'm tired from my self-induced and unnecessary stress over my own performance. I have to laugh at myself, because it is pleasant; not stressful.

People seem glad to be here.

Seems like I should watch a John Wayne movie. You think I'd score better?

I thought I'd share----

I got yet another compliment for my attire, Classic Cowgirl. I've been surprised when I've gotten them because my character is "run down" or "make do.". It's a working costume, to look worn, used, old, worked-in, with an apron, old hat with hole in it. It suits me.

I'm new to CG, but maybe it will grow on me. Feels like gelling with SASS in a new way

I think I do recommend Classic.

Oooohh!! Wooooww! Lookie that!!??

That's a Good picture. Even with me in it. How did that happen? :)

Yes, I'm adjusting. Some 18 maybe years ago when I started SASS, I shot DD and GF, sometimes, then traditional, and my SASS identity revolved around that. But CC seems like it will distract me.

Tks for encouragement.

FRIDAY AT WINTER RANGE

Yesterday I shot "early"; today I shoot "late."

With some 36 posses, I think it is devised into--I can't count past 10---and some 12 stages, they're divided and rotate. It's very neatly done, and easy to follow, so that all posses rotate between times of day to shoot as they progress through the stages.

I am on Posse 4.

Yesterday, yesterday, we began at 8:00 and shot stages 4, 1, 2, and 3.

Today, we begin at 2:00, and will shoot stages 8, 5, 6, and 7.

Tomorrow, we will begin at 11::00 and shoot stages 12, 9, 10, and 11-----if I remember Tge schedule.

So today, I will have time to seek out some LR folks and learn a few things.

Beautiful Wx again , today. It's like Spring, here. I half expect Dick van Dyke to stck his head out of a tent and call for a spring festival.

I do see 2 hot air balloons floating by at a thousand feet, to the south, west to east.

This is just nice.

Most of the larger matches use the three waves a day for three days if the shoot 12 stages some will do 6&6 if it's a smaller crowd. You figure 36 posses time 20 shooters or so is 720 shooters if you run the posse up to 23 yo get 828 shooters that's thw why four stages a day and three waves of shooters. If you shoot 6 stages a day that only allows 12 posses since it will take all day to shoot those six with a break for lunch.

Lol!! Griz and Miz Griz gave me some good movie ideas, today. And now I have them on my mind. When I get home, I'll have to watch them.

I wondered what FRIDAY would be like, and now I know!

A LOT

first, on my 7:00 am arrival, someone's saddled horse decided it was time to explore his freedom, broke away and trotted west between rows of horseless carriages. No doubt looking for Ranfolph Scott. Someone yelled from the east to catch her, which woulda been my joy, but I was far too slow. Time for a guy to brush up on his cowboy, so he jumped on another horse and lit out after her.

And---I don't even know--a Dozen ?? hot air balloons FLOATED RIGHT BY beautiful as you please!! I wanted to get a photo, Sobieski ran up to Stage #4. a cowboy was walking away from it who looked good, too, so I hollered, "Stop! Stop!". He did, and I clicked off a GOOD PHOTO on my phone. He asked what I was doing, so I told him, "Look!". I pointed to the balloon over and behind the stage, and he enjoyed it. :).

The people have been SO NICE. Honest. People seem happy to be here, and all on the same page. The tone is careful, considerate, kind. I have not seen anyone unkind at all to anyone.

Folks are all shooting well--and better than I. This one gal, just mow on our last of the day, BROKE THE SHITGUN TARGET. She did nothing wrong. It gets shot for a living, and the center bolt broke, the disk fell off. Posse's reaction was. "Don't Mske HER mad!" in good natured fun. Then when officials came to replace it, they said in humor, "Alright! Who broke it!?". And all in the posse said, "I did! He did! She did!..". All had a good laugh, and we lauded each other for team spirit.

It's been that way all week: sage, business-like, but also happy.

Really: my shooting today was a little better than yesterday.

ALRIGHT YOU RELOADERS: BREAK OUT THE TYLENOL. I finally agreed to RELOAD, use my dillon 550 for Something besides a hat rack. And I bought bullets and powder to match. Anyone kmow a good therapist?

On LONG RANGE, I've learned from Ol' # 4 that the 1-18 twist in a sharps will likely not stabilize a 405 well enough in a .45-70 for me to use. I'd likely need to go ahead with the 525, and I dint like the kick there. Maybe do it with BP? Or Whaddya all think of a .40-65 ??? Cartridge availability? OR .38-55?? Same? I need to learn about cartridge availability and ALSO reloading efficacy and parts

I HAVE PICTURES. !!!

I will post then after I get back, as I can't from my phone.

We sure had fun with that !!! It was even more fun teasing Damascus John since he was the last shooter and the ONLY one who really needed the target fixed...If'n it weren't for we like his grandpa so much...LOL !!! Another FUN day of shooting coming tomorrow...GIT READY !!!

Lol!! Griz and Miz Griz gave me some good movie ideas, today. And now I have them on my mind. When I get home, I'll have to watch them.

I wondered what FRIDAY would be like, and now I know!

A LOT

first, on my 7:00 am arrival, someone's saddled horse decided it was time to explore his freedom, broke away and trotted west between rows of horseless carriages. No doubt looking for Ranfolph Scott. Someone yelled from the east to catch her, which woulda been my joy, but I was far too slow. Time for a guy to brush up on his cowboy, so he jumped on another horse and lit out after her.

And---I don't even know--a Dozen ?? hot air balloons FLOATED RIGHT BY beautiful as you please!! I wanted to get a photo, Sobieski ran up to Stage #4. a cowboy was walking away from it who looked good, too, so I hollered, "Stop! Stop!". He did, and I clicked off a GOOD PHOTO on my phone. He asked what I was doing, so I told him, "Look!". I pointed to the balloon over and behind the stage, and he enjoyed it. :).

The people have been SO NICE. Honest. People seem happy to be here, and all on the same page. The tone is careful, considerate, kind. I have not seen anyone unkind at all to anyone.

Folks are all shooting well--and better than I. This one gal, just mow on our last of the day, BROKE THE SHITGUN TARGET. She did nothing wrong. It gets shot for a living, and the center bolt broke, the disk fell off. Posse's reaction was. "Don't Mske HER mad!" in good natured fun. Then when officials came to replace it, they said in humor, "Alright! Who broke it!?". And all in the posse said, "I did! He did! She did!..". All had a good laugh, and we lauded each other for team spirit.

It's been that way all week: sage, business-like, but also happy.

Really: my shooting today was a little better than yesterday.

ALRIGHT YOU RELOADERS: BREAK OUT THE TYLENOL. I finally agreed to RELOAD, use my dillon 550 for Something besides a hat rack. And I bought bullets and powder to match. Anyone kmow a good therapist?

On LONG RANGE, I've learned from Ol' # 4 that the 1-18 twist in a sharps will likely not stabilize a 405 well enough in a .45-70 for me to use. I'd likely need to go ahead with the 525, and I dint like the kick there. Maybe do it with BP? Or Whaddya all think of a .40-65 ??? Cartridge availability? OR .38-55?? Same? I need to learn about cartridge availability and ALSO reloading efficacy and parts

I HAVE PICTURES. !!!

I will post then after I get back, as I can't from my phone.

Archived